Systemic Development > Optometry Equipment

Power Cords and TV

<< < (3/3)

BobM:
There is a website, https://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/, where if you are lucky enough to have your model TV revfiewed by them they will first calibrate the TV. That just makes sense, but they also give you an approximation of how you can set up your tv to a calibrated standard using the brightness and color and contrast and saturation controls that are already there in your TV set. check it out, setting those basic controls to what they suggest vastly improves the picture over the default standard or the other pre-adjusted standards (like movie, sports, etc. settings).

satfrat:

--- Quote from: rollo on May 18, 2019, 10:26:26 AM ---  Interesting Jim. For me glare is a bad thing due to a eye surgery gone wrong. So the darkening was a blessing. Valid point for others to consider.

charles

--- End quote ---

I hope Charles  you'll take a moment and report your impressions, Kevin Miller is one of the best and is a charter member is the ISF Foundation as is Jim Doolittle. He should give you a good education while he does his calibration as that is an important part of the whole process, to educate the public. Ask Kevin about the picture quality of power conditioning verses calibration,,, my guess is he'll say a properly calibrated tv will look the same either with or w/o power conditioning BUT if it's added after the calibration, it will probably change the calibration so the picture will no longer be accurate, regardless of whether it looks better to you. That's all part of the education process that a good ISF technician will give you as he's doing his calibration.

Cheers,
Robin

James Edward:
I hope what I wrote didn’t give the wrong impression. I understood going in what the ISF calibration would render. And I was fine with the result. I had both my Hitachi 57” and Mitsubishi 65” RP sets calibrated. I’m just saying that the vast majority of people want the showroom setting of their television- brighter, sharper, extra vivid, etc.
I’ll use the analogy of preaching to the choir; the people that request a calibration have already done their homework, and know what to expect. The rest of the unwashed masses will almost never get it.
FWIW, I currently have a Panasonic plasma set about 6 years old, and though it’s considered a dinosaur, I dread the day it dies. I think the picture quality outclasses most of what is on the market today, though I haven’t explored the more expensive sets.
Well, back to the stereo- have a fine day everyone.

mauidan:
Based on John McDonald's recommendation, I put an Audience f3 PC on my 10 year old Samsung 50" plasma, and was surprised by the improvement. ;-)

satfrat:
I too added on to my Panasonic ST-60 plasma that's plugged into my Uberbuss/BPT Balanced Conditioner combo. I added a VenHaus VH-1 power cord and a Bybee AC adapter from my replaced Sony XBR to the Panny. As with all my gear, I believe the cleaner the power, the better the performance, be it audio or video.

Then I had the ISF-calibration done to the Panny as I had done to the Sony.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version