Music Ward > Music Discussion

The decline of music explained. . .

<< < (2/2)

bpape:
I have just the opposite take.

If there was more supply of good music, recorded well, there would be more demand.  What's out there is half crap and 99% of it is so overly compressed to be 'loud' on the radio that there is no dynamic range left.  If you want decent recordings, its country, jazz, and classical - which all sell very well.  They're just not the million copies in a few weeks and repeat that the bean counters are looking for.

If you want good music recorded with some dynamic range left, look online for the independents.  That's the new way things are marketed.  The record companies don't spend time looking any more.  They just try to pick up what's hot. 

4 cents in the kitty.

Bryan

WEEZ:
Demand; Supply;....Chicken; Egg;.... :?

Bryan, I agree with everything else you wrote. :D

WEEZ

Hantra:

--- Quote from: richidoo on September 06, 2007, 07:55:23 AM ---The society must demand great music before it can come forth.

--- End quote ---

So it's kind of like that old quote that has been attributed to Jefferson, Franklin, and a few French dudes:

"People get the government they deserve."

Only now it's:

"People get the music they deserve." 

As Walter E. Williams would say, the only problem with that, is that I get the music people deserve too.  Which sucks.   :rofl:

richidoo:
I love it!! WEW is one of my heroes.

On the bright side, a true music lover can find what he needs. Lots of new music is really great, but it is far from the majority of the total of what's produced.

Hantra:

--- Quote from: richidoo on September 09, 2007, 07:04:51 PM ---I love it!! WEW is one of my heroes.

On the bright side, a true music lover can find what he needs. Lots of new music is really great, but it is far from the majority of the total of what's produced.

--- End quote ---

I have never read or listened to anyone else in my entire life that I can say I agree with 100% of the time, every time.  Dr. Williams is that guy. 

Back to music tho, I did pick up Arcade Fire's disc this week, and the more I listen, the more I like it.  It's very creative.  Sort of early Pixies, with an interesting soundscape that's more mature.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version