Systemic Development > Multiple Personality Disorders

Fed up with TWC - what to do, what to do...

<< < (4/7) > >>

Carlman:
I'm simply in a waiting game for a stable infrastructure to catch up with the market and technology.  This is a time of change and infrastructure takes a long time to build whereas the market and technology move at the speed of light comparatively.    

I live in Durham, NC which is likely not super high-priority for providers of communication services.  I see the comm market as a bunch of bumbling idiots trying to grab cash flying in the air.  As soon as they grab all they can hold, they leave.  

I live in a unique hole.  There is immense coverage of all types of 4G and 3G and high speed services all around me but not in my neighborhood.  I live very close to a major mall (Southpoint) and interstate (40) and there are 4 towers within a couple miles of me.. but they're all pointed around me, not at me.

One day we'll get a Wal-mart or other 'relevant' business just a bit south of us that will require the towers to point their beams just a couple degrees over so we too can bask in the 4G goodness.  But it takes a soul-sucking catastrophe of a business to get the attention of other soul-sucking catastrophes like a communication company. ug.  I plan on going back to cans and string eventually. ;)

mdconnelly:
Carl, you described my sentiments exactly!   

I would totally love the whole technology thing if it didn't constantly piss me off so much  :rofl:

Got my Frontier modem today along with a phone message that said they couldn't start my service yet... wtf?

Hey folks - internet broadband service - guaranteed 20mb download & 10mb upload.   Send $120/month to me and I'll get your package out to you asap.   Package contents:  2 cans, 1 string.   Totally awesome solution!  Promise.  Really.  I meant it.

tmazz:

--- Quote from: richidoo on November 16, 2010, 10:39:27 AM ---Cool stuff Scott!  I agree that wireless will take over in the next couple years.

--- End quote ---

While this may be true in some of the more rural areas, in densely populated metropolitan regions I think spectrum will be a limiting factor in the deployment of fixed wireless broadband to the home for many years to come.

mdconnelly:
Just an update...

The Frontier DSL service has proven to be what it claims and seems quite solid.  As reported by the DSL modem, I'm getting 7345 Kbps down,  831 Kbps up.  Speedtest.net reports just slightly under these numbers.

That'll do for now.  I hear that Clearwire.com now has a modem that will consistently get 12mb/s down, 1mb/s up.  Haven't tried it and I suspect that is a bit of vendor hype, but who knows.

Next step - dump TWC completely.  I'm even considering just going with OTA and maybe a Roku or Revue box.  The only thing I haven't figured out is how to get ESPN channels.  But hey, ESPN2HD last night had major problems so attempting to watch the UNC/Rutgers bball game was done in SD.  One more nail in TWCs coffin as far as I'm concerned.  Anyone know how to get ESPN via the Internet?  Gotta be able to watch Carolina basketball!

richidoo:
ESPN3 is the internet streaming version of ESPN.
Here's your game:
http://espn.go.com/espn3/player?id=100470&league=NCAAM
Main page:
http://espn.go.com/espn3/

Looks like they stream many of the events from their main channels.

No Frontier down in my neck of the woods, yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version