Author Topic: Every Little Thing… Power Distribution  (Read 861 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Every Little Thing… Power Distribution
« on: January 03, 2024, 02:08:38 PM »
Afternoon All,
I’m a firm believer in less is more when it comes to our power strips/blocks, etc. I had been using the Wiremold L10320- https://us.rs-online.com/product/wiremold/l10320/70091760/
It has no LED, switch, surge protection, or circuit breaker. I figure all of these could possibly muck up the power and therefore the sound. LED lights are notorious RFI emitters.

I recently purchased what I figured might be a slightly better alternative- Audio Sensibility power box-
 https://audiosensibility.com/blog/products-2/power-distribution/#!/Impact-SE-Power-Distribution-4-plex/p/49910224/category=2595838
Same idea as the Wiremold, but with better outlets, an ‘audiophile’ power cord, heavier gauge wire, star grounding, and Stillpoints ERS (an RFI/EMI shielding material).
Well I’ll be damned, I believe I got the incremental improvement I was looking for. Just a hair more ‘there’ there. A similar improvement as when I added PI Audio’s UberPuerto duplex outlet. If I had to nail down the most salient difference, I’d go with more detail at low volume listening.
A relatively inexpensive tweak to try at about $US 230.00 for the four outlet model, a six outlet model is available for a little more.

I’m not shilling this particular brand, as a few others make a similar product. But I just wanted to put it out there that these can make a difference. Not a ‘sparks shot out of my butt’ difference, but worth pursuing if you already are content and just want to tweak around the edges.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Every Little Thing… Power Distribution
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 09:26:10 PM »
The improvement you’re describing certainly appears to have been worth the investment. Audio Sensability has a good reputation. I usually don’t hang on to extra cables etc, but I kinda wish I still had that Audio Sensability digital coax I sold a few years ago. The number one enemy for me is noise… Tame that beast and then I’ll be able to make better decisions. That’s why I like Dave’s stuff and then the very low noise equipment that I currently have.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 03:06:12 AM »
I've been using a couple of this well known power strip for years in conjunction with my UberBuss and BPT Balance Power Conditioner. Much thanks for stirring my fading memory banks.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 05:11:48 AM »
Now that I am putting the audio room back together, getting the PI Audio Groups BlunderBUSS setup for the system.

Dave did a 24 outlet version for me to run the entire system with multiple amps for a 10 PA system for a line array.  Went to CAF2023 to power that system. 

Also have a DigiBUSS for the front end since all my components are a PC and DSP processor.  Even the Phono section is DSP. :)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 08:07:12 PM »
Aw, shucks guys!  :rofl:

Noise is the enemy.  Ask any schizophrenic.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 07:59:16 AM »
Aw, shucks guys!  :rofl:

Noise is the enemy.  Ask any schizophrenic.

I was going to stay away from this thread but have decided otherwise  :thumb:

1) I have a Dedicated 20A Breaker > Emotiva CMX-2 > Panamax MR4300 and Emotiva CMX-6 setup and you can put it on an oscilloscope (and I have) to see the difference (for the better).

2) I have a Littmann CORE stethoscope. It has 40x amplification. Put it in your ears, listen to any component (amp, speakers, whatever) and you hear silence. 

3) I've tried balanced power. There is an obvious difference. Can hear it in a blind test 100 percent of the time. It boils down to preference. All of my gear manufacturers tell me if I use it it will void the warranty (which I'm out of anyway). I've opted to avoid balanced.

Happy listening and Happy New Year to all.  :)
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline James Edward

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 03:16:38 PM »
All I have is this but I like what I’m hearing…
 https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/children-playing-with-a-toy-stethoscope-lea-patersonscience-photo-library.jpg
As we often find in this hobby, not everything can be measured, or what we measure is not what we hear, and what measures perfectly can sound shitty. I know there are a hundred other observations on measurements vs what we like to hear…
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 08:05:20 PM »
 https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/children-playing-with-a-toy-stethoscope-lea-patersonscience-photo-library.jpg
As we often find in this hobby, not everything can be measured, or what we measure is not what we hear, and what measures perfectly can sound shitty. I know there are a hundred other observations on measurements vs what we like to hear…

Joni Mitchell was right:  You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone...

Noise in audio is a multi-headed beast.

We have 60 cycle (120Hz component) and it is easily measurable at every multiple

We have:

intermodulation distortion
Transient intermodulation distortion
Comb filtering
Heterodyning
EMI distortion :thumb:
RFI distortion
Back EMF from other gear, especially digital sources
Current limiting
Dynamic compression
Dielectric absorption induced ringing
Dissipation factor time smear
VoP issues
Shitty wire
Brown outs

And on and on...

All I know is that when any or all of these are in play, music suffers.

TMSAISTI
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 11:21:00 PM »

Joni Mitchell was right:  You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone...

Noise in audio is a multi-headed beast.

We have 60 cycle (120Hz component) and it is easily measurable at every multiple

We have:

intermodulation distortion
Transient intermodulation distortion
Comb filtering
Heterodyning
EMI distortion :thumb:
RFI distortion
Back EMF from other gear, especially digital sources
Current limiting
Dynamic compression
Dielectric absorption induced ringing
Dissipation factor time smear
VoP issues
Shitty wire
Brown outs

And on and on...

All I know is that when any or all of these are in play, music suffers.

TMSAISTI

Whew….thank goodness it’s not a complicated issue… 😵‍💫
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz