Author Topic: Like I needed more gear...  (Read 559 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Like I needed more gear...
« on: February 07, 2024, 08:35:06 PM »
I ordered a Khozmo preamp, 64 step ladder attenuator, utilizing AMRT resistors and a fixed 6dB gain Staccato active output stage that is switchable to passive operation.

https://khozmo.com/product/stereo-with-input-selector/

It will be interesting to compare it to the ones in residence  :thumb - Dodd 12VDC pre, TKD passive, Cary SLP50B (MUCH modified), Musica Bella Segue (thanks, Bill! 👍🏼) and two different home grown guys:  one with Reflektor 6H(N)30DR tubes and one built on Burr-Brown OPA627 op amps biased up to class A with no DC offset.

https://www.dagogo.com/staccato-audio-discrete-hybrid-opamps-review/2/

Beautifully made.  My friend Brad Baker has the passive version with AMRG resistors.  It will be interesting to hear the differences between SOTA carbon film and SOTA metal film.

God, how I love this obsession!

Never stop learning!  :thumb:

Never stop spending!  :rofl:

Addendum:  re:  SOTA resistors - this is interesting.  I use Z-foils (TCR = 1ppm : 0.1% match in the I/V stage in my weird assed DAC.  They are incredibly transparent, with detail and honesty galore.  This being said, it is very easy to go too squeaky clean.  YMMV or whatever...

Ergo - choices for musicality.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 08:47:24 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Like I needed more gear...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 11:44:50 PM »
Good for you, Dave!

I’ve long been curious about the Khozmo preamps. I nearly ordered a passive model a couple years ago, but I talked myself out of it. Let us know how you like it.

Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 02:15:13 PM »
Good for you, Dave!

I’ve long been curious about the Khozmo preamps. I nearly ordered a passive model a couple years ago, but I talked myself out of it. Let us know how you like it.
Will do, Michael.  My friend Brad here bought the passive version with the 64 step attenuator loaded with AMRG resistors.  It's going to be interesting to hear the differences.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 06:03:26 PM »
Hi Dave,

That looks like it means business. Never tried a passive preamp before. 

Is this similar to that at all? Or is this some entry level, starter kit?

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/kits/glasshouse-kits/glasshouse-tvc.html

Paul

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 11:03:21 AM »
Hi Dave,

That looks like it means business. Never tried a passive preamp before. 

Is this similar to that at all? Or is this some entry level, starter kit?

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/kits/glasshouse-kits/glasshouse-tvc.html

Paul

They are very different.  The HFC unit is an auto former based device, not unlike Dave Slagle's  great autoformer controls  :  https://intactaudio.com/atten.html

The Khozmo is a ladder that only has 1 resistor in the signal path and 1 in shunt at any setting.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 05:57:42 PM by P.I. »

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 04:26:16 PM »
I'll be following this to read your thoughts after you've had it installed for a while. 
I'm still using the original 24V Dodd in one system and a newer 12V one in my main system.  As with all my stuff, I'm sure there's better, but how much better and at what cost??
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 05:10:07 PM »
I'll be following this to read your thoughts after you've had it installed for a while. 
I'm still using the original 24V Dodd in one system and a newer 12V one in my main system.  As with all my stuff, I'm sure there's better, but how much better and at what cost??

Scott,

What is inside the Dodd preamp that makes it so special? I've never had one to play with - let alone open up to peer inside. I kinda think Jay (Captainhemo) had one in his system when I visited him in 2015...hmm...I'll ask him and get back.

Happy Lunar New Year from Taiwan!

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 06:06:39 AM »
Michael,
I really can't say how Gary did it.  Circuit? Battery? Parts?  Most of the crucial elements are potted.  It's been almost 20 years since Gary and Danny R came out to the house to help judge my physics class's speaker competition.  When Gary put his prototype battery preamp in my system it was a huge upgrade in clarity, detail, and sound stage.   So much that I told him I had to have one and we started talking about how to set up payment to make it happen. I think mine was #18 or so.   
I know that Gary potted the unit because he felt that any patent that he could file would be violated in other parts of the world.   It's still a very fine preamp.  The newer version may have a few advantages, but I sort of like the older one. 
I think Danny R may have upgraded a part of two on his, but mine are stock. The only thing I've done is to extensively roll tubes, as they are all very different in sound.   Actually, I bet Dave will have a better handle on what makes them good. 
Dave??? 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 04:22:28 PM »
Michael,
I really can't say how Gary did it.  Circuit? Battery? Parts?  Most of the crucial elements are potted.  It's been almost 20 years since Gary and Danny R came out to the house to help judge my physics class's speaker competition.  When Gary put his prototype battery preamp in my system it was a huge upgrade in clarity, detail, and sound stage.   So much that I told him I had to have one and we started talking about how to set up payment to make it happen. I think mine was #18 or so.   
I know that Gary potted the unit because he felt that any patent that he could file would be violated in other parts of the world.   It's still a very fine preamp.  The newer version may have a few advantages, but I sort of like the older one. 
I think Danny R may have upgraded a part of two on his, but mine are stock. The only thing I've done is to extensively roll tubes, as they are all very different in sound.   Actually, I bet Dave will have a better handle on what makes them good. 
Dave???

Gary was a wizard, that's how!  :D

Actually, the secret to Gary's designs are a study in simplicity and choosing exactly the right parts in the right implementation without being locked into tradition.

Offline Folsom

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 08:17:03 PM »
I'll be interested to know what you think, for sure.