Author Topic: Grover Huffman Cables Group Buy - Round 2  (Read 81614 times)

bixby

Burning baby burning...no not disco inferno!
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2007, 09:45:36 PM »
My new Grover XLRs.  Let's see I started cooking on Friday last week and work will free up on Friday morning so that's about 168 hours.

Will that be about enough before I hear the first note?

FWIW
XLR will be used from the Lavry DA-10 dac to the Bel Canto EVO 4 running in bridged mode, then out through a combo of Sonoran Plateau and Luminous Synchestra Signature speaker cable to SP Tech 2.1s.

lonewolfny42

Re: Grover Huffman Cables Group Buy - Round 2
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2007, 10:20:06 PM »
Which XLR's were you using before ? Thanks.....

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2007, 06:41:54 AM »
So are the new Grover XLRs also graphite colored?   The pair I have are the white with black termination wrap.   From my understanding, when Grover went to the white on white, he didn't change anything on the XLR ICs.   So, of course, it begs the question of whether the latest XLRs are any different in build or sonically... Anyone with insight on this?

And, fwiw, I have no complaints about the white & black pair I have.   They sound great and very much like the newer Grover graphite RCA ICs I just received.  Highly detailed and perhaps a bit forward but with great transparency and dynamics. 

bixby

« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2007, 04:20:29 PM »
Lonewolf:

Current XLRs are a modest Wireworld design the Polaris 5s.

Dr. Connelly:

My XLRs are graphite, but I have no clue if they are an evolved design (from the other colors), sorry.

cheers
bixby

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2007, 07:30:48 PM »
Dr. Connelly:

Ah... what respect!   The 'md' is really for Michael D., but you can call me Mike, or you can call me Michael or you can call me MickeyD, but ya don' have to call me Dr. Connelly.    :lol:

So, Rich or Grover - is it possible to get an explanation of what changed from the white/black XLR ICs to the new graphite version?  Just cosmetic?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2007, 08:20:44 PM »

Grover should be back from his annual hiking vacation next week. This is a pic he took in Sierras on last years trip.

I have no clue about the XLRs. Sorry! I heard Steve's white ones at my house a month or two ago, they were really great.

Dr Connelly, I like the sound of that! hehe
Rich

lonewolfny42

« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2007, 10:34:47 PM »
Thanks Keith for the info.... :beer:

Chris

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #142 on: August 30, 2007, 07:21:24 AM »
Dr Connelly, I like the sound of that! hehe
Hey, I'll be glad to diagnose whatever ails you, but my prescription will always be the same - increase your daily dose of music  :lmc: 

LKdog

« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2007, 09:25:33 PM »
Bixby-

Good info.
There is a separate thread FWIW in which folks have been giving some initial impressions over here:

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=597.45

What is your associated equipment?
Agree on the lower range-extraordinary.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2007, 05:38:27 AM »
Bixby-

Good info.
There is a separate thread FWIW in which folks have been giving some initial impressions over here:

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=597.45

What is your associated equipment?
Agree on the lower range-extraordinary.

Bixby,
If you you really want to keep things organized, you can just copy your review to a new post in the thread LKDog mentioned above... then add your associated gear as well if you'd like... You can delete the post here after that.. no problem either way.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

bixby

« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2007, 12:09:32 PM »
thanks Carlman, I'll do just that.
cheers
bixby

Phil

« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2007, 01:50:56 PM »
I certainly don't want to fan the flames of your nervosa, but...  What am I saying?  It's payback time.

I thought all you Grover fans would be interested in what the new SC interconnects are like.  In a word:  Expressive.  OK, not very descriptive.   How about this instead:  Much quieter (silent background), more transparent (better micro detail), better bass (deeper, tighter and faster), midrange (more subtle and detailed but doesn't add sibilance) and HF (no noise/hash riding the signal).  Instruments have added body and weight.  Vocals are to die for.  This cable does tone, baby.

Frankly, if only the shielding has changed, I'm very surprised that it made this kind of difference.  This cable is much more nuanced.  Notes stop and start when they should. 

The upgrade cost isn't much if you are looking for Grover's best.  Well worth it.  Burn-in took a while -- north of 100 hours in my system.  But worth the wait.  Never sounded bad but didn't sound balanced (midrange kinda stuck out).

Hope you give these a try.  Great stuff.  No commission was received for this public service announcement.

Phil

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2007, 02:31:36 PM »
I certainly don't want to fan the flames of your nervosa, but...  What am I saying?  It's payback time.

I thought all you Grover fans would be interested in what the new SC interconnects are like.  In a word:  Expressive.  OK, not very descriptive.   How about this instead:  Much quieter (silent background), more transparent (better micro detail), better bass (deeper, tighter and faster), midrange (more subtle and detailed but doesn't add sibilance) and HF (no noise/hash riding the signal).  Instruments have added body and weight.  Vocals are to die for.  This cable does tone, baby.

Frankly, if only the shielding has changed, I'm very surprised that it made this kind of difference.  This cable is much more nuanced.  Notes stop and start when they should. 

The upgrade cost isn't much if you are looking for Grover's best.  Well worth it.  Burn-in took a while -- north of 100 hours in my system.  But worth the wait.  Never sounded bad but didn't sound balanced (midrange kinda stuck out).

Hope you give these a try.  Great stuff.  No commission was received for this public service announcement.

Phil

I guess i will send my graphites back to Grover for tweaking 8)
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

jrebman

« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2007, 02:49:31 PM »
Ok, so does anybody have an address to send them to, and does anuybody know that the cost for a 1.5m cable is, and what forms of payment he takes?

I'd like to take advantage of this while my system is idle.

TIA,

Jim

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2007, 05:36:10 PM »
I'd suggest sending an email to Grover for a quote... I don't know the price.
I do know his address though:
Grover Huffman, P.O. Box 4734, West Hills, CA 91308
groverhuffman at hotmail.com

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.