Author Topic: Grover Huffman Cables Group Buy - Round 2  (Read 81607 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Grover Huffman Cables Group Buy - Round 2
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2007, 02:30:50 PM »
 I just went to the post office and picked up my Grover S IC's.They look pretty Slick!
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2007, 02:48:22 PM »
Sneaked in to the post office 15 min. before closing, picked up, and subsequently installed my two pairs of Grover ICs. For what it's worth, from what I'm hearing initially, there's definitely burn-in needed. (I note my previous ICs were coated with Walker SST, but I installed the Grovers sans SST. After the Grover's have about 100 hours on them, I'll get busy with the SST and listen to what differences are present.) So, seems I'll have to give the ICs some extended 24/7 time on the system before coming to any conclusions, which is not totally unexpected.

Many thanks again to Rich, Grover, and this forum for making the Group Buy a smooth adventure in trying something new. Peace, and Happy Listening.

<edit - spelling>
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 08:25:22 PM by djbnh »
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2007, 03:51:54 PM »
Just got my Grovers today and they arrived in great shape. I like the grey look...much prefer that to white. Will get 'em hooked up tonight and report my initial impressions soon. BTW, these cables look very similar to my old Tekline I/C's I've been using since I sold my Reality I/C's. The Tekline actually had more detail and presence than the Realitys. Thanks for doing this, Rich. 
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

LKdog

« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2007, 04:46:25 PM »
Maybe it would be good to start a new separate thread on this iteration of Grover IC's and people can post their impressions on that thread exclusively.

Just a thought.  :-k

Have one pair hooked up from source to preamp.
Will hook up the other pair from preamp to monoblocks later tonight.

Thanks for your help Rich.

AcidJazz

« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2007, 05:26:46 PM »
Received my yesterday...the Postman woke me up early...around 8am  :lol:
Plugged one in late last night but was too tired to pay attention...they sure look great...just switched back in my main amp after using an alternative for the past couple months, so will have to delay impressions for a couple weeks or so.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2007, 10:11:51 PM »
Well, let me get to the point........these are wonderful cables!! I have been listening for a few hours and have been entranced in the music  :D/
The Grovers resolve beautifully. The midrange is rich and the treble is detailed, refined and non-fatiguing. The texture of the instruments is realistic and "organic". The presentation is forward..you have a front row seat. These IC's are a steal for the price. They are so good I have a new found respect for my CIA D200 amps. I won't forget to mention that IMHO, the foundation for this are the 3 Black Sand SRMK5 power cords I recently inserted in the system. The sound was deliciously good tonight and this is with my current Zalytron Aria 7 MTM speakers. I have my new SP Tech 2.1's sitting in the hall waiting for me to finish painting the unfinished stands.

My sincere thanks to Carl, Rich and Grover :beer:

PS  If the moderators want to move this to a new thread, pls do so. 
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

lonewolfny42

« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2007, 05:40:02 AM »
Nick.....
Have you listened to your SP Tech speakers yet ? Thanks........

Chris

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2007, 08:20:08 AM »
Nick.....

Chris

Not yet, Chris. The unfinished veneer on the posts had some minor scratches and gouges and I've been filling that in with many thin layers. Then the repeated sanding and priming. It's a royal PITA as I dislike doing that kind of work. It should be all ready by Sunday...I hope.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Bigfish8

« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2007, 08:59:22 AM »
Nick.....

Chris

Not yet, Chris. The unfinished veneer on the posts had some minor scratches and gouges and I've been filling that in with many thin layers. Then the repeated sanding and priming. It's a royal PITA as I dislike doing that kind of work. It should be all ready by Sunday...I hope.
Nick

Chris and Nick:

I am planning to wrestle my Timepieces in the 100 degree heat into my car and take them over to Richidoo's G2G tonight.  I am interested to hear how they will sound in Rich's treated room with a higher-end music source (I still have a ways to go to get my S3 where I eventually want it).  Also, looking forward to hearing the Grover SC's versus other cables and to meeting Rich and the other local guys.  Of course I will be interested in their educated feedback on a pair of Timepieces with all of the lastest upgrades.

Ken

lonewolfny42

« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2007, 09:14:55 AM »
Nick.....

Chris

Nick

Chris and Nick:

I am planning to wrestle my Timepieces in the 100 degree heat into my car and take them over to Richidoo's G2G tonight.  I am interested to hear how they will sound in Rich's treated room with a higher-end music source (I still have a ways to go to get my S3 where I eventually want it).  Also, looking forward to hearing the Grover SC's versus other cables and to meeting Rich and the other local guys.  Of course I will be interested in their educated feedback on a pair of Timepieces with all of the lastest upgrades.

Ken
Great.....should be fun.... plus you get a workout moving and lifting...I know....did it many times....have a great time....and hope we get some photo's. :beer:

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2007, 11:32:22 AM »
With almost two full days of 24/7 playing time on my two pairs of Grover ICs, I have to say it's pretty frickin' sick how good these ICs now sound in my system. I'm even putting off applying SST on these because I don't want to interrupt the musical flow. Grover, many thanks for a kick a@@ product!  :beer: :beer: :beer:
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

LKdog

« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2007, 11:38:08 AM »
djbnh-

Thanks for the comments.
Can you elaborate a bit?

I started a separate thread linked below and am anxious to hear impressions as they break in.
I have a pair from source to preamp and also from preamp to amp.
Mine were very smooth initially, then have become a bit edgy for a bit. I have about 36-40 hours on them.

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=597.msg5583;topicseen#msg5583

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2007, 12:25:57 PM »
I am breaking in both my Grover S ICs and my BAT VK60 power amplifer with.22 V-cap TFTF coupling capacitors installed.after 22 hours of burn in it sounds like i have a brand new ultra high performance amplifier in my system  8).i am beside myself because of how good my system sounds.WOW! somebody pinch me so i can tell if i am dreaming  :drool:
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2007, 02:03:57 PM »
Wow, sounds good already! That's great!! You know it's gonna get even better. Coupling cap has a big voice.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2007, 06:02:57 PM »
I am breaking in both my Grover S ICs and my BAT VK60 power amplifer with.22 V-cap TFTF coupling capacitors installed.after 22 hours of burn in it sounds like i have a brand new ultra high performance amplifier in my system  8).i am beside myself because of how good my system sounds.WOW! somebody pinch me so i can tell if i am dreaming  :drool:

Rock on, man... I love it when I have those moments... Times are great, enjoy them! :) :) :)
I really enjoy listening to music.