Author Topic: Grover Huffman Cables Group Buy - Round 2  (Read 81604 times)

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
Re: Grover Huffman Cables Group Buy - Round 2
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2007, 02:08:08 AM »
A big thanks ,Rich  :D

indelibo

« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2007, 05:30:34 AM »
Received!  Thanks Rich!  The graphite color looks a bit better than the previous black iterations.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2007, 07:19:03 AM »
Got 'em this morning.   Can't wait to try them.    Thanks Rich!

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2007, 05:35:15 PM »
Got notice of attempted delivery, but due to it being an insured package, they couldn't deliver. Could be fun trying to run out of work tomorrow and reverse the commute to try to catch the Post Office prior to closing...at least I know they're nearby safely tucked away in a Federal-type building.  :-k
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2007, 05:53:26 PM »
Or you could pick it up Saturday..
I really enjoy listening to music.

jrebman

« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2007, 06:56:44 PM »
Mine arrived this afternoon and I didn't waste any time putting the 1.5 meter pair between my 3910 and the Cayin.  Waahhhh hoooo!  Immediate and startling difference between them and the Anti-ICs they replaced.  Still a bit forward and edgy, but the overall tonal balance is vastly improved, as are macro and micro dynamics, better control in the bottom end and prat, prat, prat, like this system has just never had before.

I pulled out an old fave', Fleetwood Mac Rumors, and wow, what do you know -- they are actually in a recording booth, and you can hear all the subtle reverb in the vocals.  Ok, I started hearing that with the Antis, but now it was clear as day, and for the first time I could hear Lindsay Buckingham taking breaths between phrases in "Secobnd Hand News".  I really hope I can get enough time on them before it's time to take the whole system apart because at this point I'm very impressed (can you tell?) but I really want to hear how it all settles in.

At this point, if it never changes, it's ok, because I know a roll of the tubes can get it to just where I want it.

Thanks Rich, and thanks Grover!

-- Jim

Ustas

« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2007, 07:11:19 PM »
Rich, you da man!
Package arrived this afternoon. Box was totally crashed by USPS, I mean TOTALLY
like somebody just jumped on the box. But thanks to careful inside packing Rich did the cable survived perfectly!
Looking forward to plug it in on upcoming weekend.  :D

LKdog

« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2007, 07:34:22 PM »
You guys are lucky.
Mine should show up tomorrow here in Iowa.
jrebman's report sounds promising.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2007, 08:06:10 PM »
Rich, you da man!
Package arrived this afternoon. Box was totally crashed by USPS, I mean TOTALLY
like somebody just jumped on the box. But thanks to careful inside packing Rich did the cable survived perfectly!
Looking forward to plug it in on upcoming weekend.  :D

Thanks, ustas 8)  but all credit goes to Grover this time. He bagged them in manila padders and made reshipping very easy. I'm glad the second level of defense saved you since the free "crushproof" boxes didn't do much!!  :lol:  They do mellow out a bit Jim, give it a couple days. But the detail remains, tone gets a little thicker, or maybe tighter is a better word? I have no complaints even on the whites, they just sound awesome. Wish I had time to start breaking in the new ones and comparing. Maybe next week.
Rich

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2007, 02:35:47 AM »
Saturday requires more waiting. Is this forum called "Audio Nervosa" or what?  :rofl:
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2007, 04:20:53 AM »
Saturday requires more waiting. Is this forum called "Audio Nervosa" or what?  :rofl:

Very well said!

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2007, 05:51:50 AM »
Whoa!  I replaced what I thought was a nice glass toslink cable between my SB3 and Tact pre with my new Grover digital IC and I was floored.   Immediately noticeable improvement... Edginess gone and replaced with a detailed yet relaxed musical presentation and definitely took my perception of what a Squeezebox can do up by several notches (this is one from John @ BS with his cryo/treatment mods).

Now, I don't fully understand how different digital cables effect sound - is it just jitter issues or more?  But whatever it is, thank you, Grover and Rich! 

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2007, 06:40:53 AM »
In a digital (coax) connection, the quality of the connector and almost more importantly, the quality of the connection from wire to connector can make a huge difference in sound.  SPDIF coax is particularly touchy with impedance issues. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2007, 07:01:22 AM »
Duke tried the Grover demo tour analog RCAs as digital interconnects between his DCs stack components. He did not hear any improvement over his pricier digital cables. I suggested he ask Grover if they are built differently than analogs, but I don't remember the answer. Glad to hear the grover digitals made a noticable improvement for you Mike. I can't wait to hear it. We have some DACs (Oracle, and new Scott Nixon) and super digital cables coming on Saturday, maybe bring it by if you decide to come?

You do know all digital cables sound the same, right? ;) 1's and zeros.....   hahaha

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2007, 01:04:12 PM »
goe em'' grovers in da house,,, thanks Rich,,,easiest transaction I've made,,thanks to you--you "da" man :D