Author Topic: * Global Drum Project Tour * - southeast US tour dates  (Read 2924 times)

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
* Global Drum Project Tour * - southeast US tour dates
« on: August 14, 2007, 08:12:12 AM »
The Global Drum Project Tour brings Mickey Hart, Zakir Hussain, Sikiru Adepoju, and Giovanni Hidalgo together again in a reunion sparked by the 15th anniversary of the ground-breaking album Planet Drum. Released in 1991 on the Rykodisc label it went on to earn the first-ever Grammy Award in the World Music category. The tour is the groups first in almost a decade. It also marks the resumption of an artistic relationship – between Mickey Hart and Zakir Hussain – that goes back to the late 1960s.

http://www.planetdrummusic.com/ for full tour sites/dates

Southeast US tour dates

Oct 05, 2007 Ferst Center/Ga Institute Of Tech - Atlanta GA

Oct 06, 2007 Jemison Concert Hall - Birmingham AL
 Tickets: (205) 975-ARTS (or) 1-877-ART-TIKS

Global Drum Project
featuring Mickey Hart & Zakir Hussain
The Orange Peel
Asheville, NC

Sunday, October 7th
9:00 PM (8:00 PM doors)
$22.50 advance / $25.00 door
Ages 18+

Oct 09, 2007 Maryland Hall For The Creative Arts - Annapolis MD
  By Phone: 866-438-3808

Oct 11, 2007 Lisner Auditorium - Washington DC

jrebman

Re: * Global Drum Project Tour * - southeast US tour dates
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 09:13:11 AM »
If you've never seen Zakir Hussain, (or Mickey Hart for that matter) you need to see this.  When Zakir revs it up for an extended solo his arms are literally a whirling blurr in front of him -- and while doing that he sits perfectly still except for minor adjustments for positioning, and never, never even breaks a sweat.  It is truly unbelievable to watch as well as listen to.  You'd think there were 3 drummers playing :D

They'll be here on 9/23 (Boulder., that is) and I've got my tix already.

Zakir's long-time student, Ty Burhoe, lives in the area so we usually get to see Zakir at least once a year here, and as much as I enjoy the North Indian classical music, it's also great when he "lets his hair down", as he did a few years ago with another of his old buddies, John McLaughlin in a Shakti reunion.  That and Paco De Lucia are probably the two best concerts I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

Also, if you know Ty, he did an album many years ago with Miguel Espinoca (from Denver), Kai Eckhardt, and Bela Fleck, called Curandero.  That album has been out of print for a while, but is being remastered and will be re-released under Ty's new label, Tala Records.  Unfortunately I couldn't talk him into releasing it in vinyl.

-- Jim