Author Topic: Hyperion Speakers???  (Read 2020 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Hyperion Speakers???
« on: February 23, 2012, 05:50:48 AM »
Has anyone had experience with hyperion 938 speakers? I'm looking to upgrade from my B&W DM640. I've never even heard of them til now. Are they even in the same leagues as thiel, vandersteen, etc
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Hyperion Speakers???
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:24:04 AM »
These are made by an Asian family. The son used to attend the early NY Audio Rave meetings and introduced their early model to the club many years ago. He wound up quitting his job and working on this family business which has surely grown over the years, branching into amplifiers and other speaker models.

Their speakers seems to follow the Wilson Watt-Puppy design formula, but at a less expensive price point. I remember them sounding pretty nice at audio shows some years ago, if perhaps a bit too clean, crisp and clear (overly transparent)for my taste. Or maybe it was the associated upstream equipment (I think they need tubes). I haven't heard them in years now though, so the overall sound may have changed somewhat from the way I remember them.

They are well reviewed, so you should be able to find something about them in TAS and Blue Moon and Enjoy The Music to see how they stack up.

Good luck,
Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.