Author Topic: Albums/Artists You Would Like to See Reissued on 45RPM 180g vinyl  (Read 14357 times)

jsaliga

Albums/Artists You Would Like to See Reissued on 45RPM 180g vinyl
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:08:13 AM »
I really don't know how many of you are buying the 45 RPM reissues from Music Matters and Analogue Productions.  I have bought a lot of them over the years and continue to do so.

I have said elsewhere that I thought Chad Kassem missed a great opportunity with the launch of Quality Record Pressings to offer audiophiles something new that they haven't seen before.  I have made no bones about my being a bit underwhelmed by the choice of initial offerings.

My main interest in high quality reissues is classical and jazz.  I just don't think that most rock will benefit as much from the extra resolution of 45RPM vinyl and have been content to mainly buy original vintage rock pressings because they are both plentiful and cheap.  So you won't find me springing for a 180g or 200g reissue, of say, The Who Sells Out when I have an original minty pressing of it in my music library that sounds great.

In the classical and jazz world things are much different.  Minty original pressings of prized classical and especially jazz recordings have become increasingly rare and are usually cost-prohibitive to buy on the collector market.  So to me reissuing these recordings on high quality 45RPM 180g LPs makes a lot of sense.  While the price of admission for these audiophile LPs is typically between $50 and $60, I still consider them to be a value because originals will often sell for two to three times that, and sometimes much more.

A couple of weeks ago I had a long discussion with someone at Acoustic Sounds when I called in an order because I was having problems with the website.  I would like to use this thread to compile a wishlist of titles and artists that you would like to see reissued on high quality 45RPM 180g vinyl.  Please be realistic about your wants, and try to list albums that others might be interested in too.  The market for these expensive reissues is relatively small, and if you list obscure records that no one has heard of then your chances of seeing it on 45RPM vinyl are practically zero.

Also, I ask that people not clutter this thread with posts like, "$50 for a reissue is a waste of money."  I am not interested in your opinion on the value of these records.  I am hoping to get some good feeback from those who buy them so I can encourage Chad to take a look at it and consider our wants.

With that said let me list a few to get things started:

Anita O'Day - Pick Yourself Up with Anita O'Day
Anita O"Day - Waiter, Make Mine Blues
Anita O'Day - Anita Sings the Most
Anita O'Day - Trav'lin Light

Buddy Rich - Buddy Rich and Sweets Edison
Buddy Rich - Blues Caravan

Dizzy Gillespie - Birks Works (Verve Big Band Sessions)

Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie - Bird and Diz

Charlie Parker - South of the Border
Charlie Parker - Charlie Parker
Charlie Parker - Jazz at Massey Hall

Lester Young and Teddy Wilson - Pres and Teddy

Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson Trio

Lionel Hampton and Stan Getz - Hamp and Getz

Anything that Lionel Hampton recorded with the Oscar Peterson Trio

Stan Kenton - Portrait on Standards
Stan Kenton - Sketches on Standards
Stan Kenton - Cuban Fire!
Stan Kenton - Contemporary Concepts
Stan Kenton - Concepts of Artistry in Rhythm
Stan Kenton - Kenton's West Side Story

I'll add more to this list later.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:34:45 AM by jsaliga »

jsaliga

Re: Albums/Artists You Would Like to See Reissued on 45RPM 180g vinyl
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 04:31:23 AM »
Here's a few more...

The Art Farmer & Benny Golson Jazztet - Meet the Jazztet

Ahmad Jamal - At the Pershing: But Not For Me
Ahmad Jamal - Portfolio

John Coltrane - Ascension

Jimmy Heath - Really Big!

Shelly Manne and His Friends - Modern Jazz Performances of Songs from My Fair Lady

Shelly Manne - Shelly Manne's "The Three" & "The Two"

Andre Previn Trio - King Size!
Andre Previn Trio - Like Previn!

Barney Kessel - Modern Jazz Performances from Bizet's Carmen
Barney Kessel - Let's Cook

Phineas Newborn Jr. - The Great Jazz Piano of Phineas Newborn Jr.

Hampton Hawes - Trio Volume 1
Hampton Hawes - Everybody Likes Hampton Hawes

I don't believe that Bud Powell's Blue Note recordings have been issued on 45RPM vinyl.  If not they should be.

--Jerome

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »
Here's a few more...

Phineas Newborn Jr. - The Great Jazz Piano of Phineas Newborn Jr.

That's funny, I had never heard of him before and just yesterday picked up one of his CDs at the Crack House. It was an album called "Solo Piano" that was originally issued on Atlantic and reissued on CD by 32 Jazz. I have done really well with other 32 Jazz releases on both  a musical and SQ basis, so I figured I would try this one base solely on my prior experience with the label.

I had not had a chance to listen to it before I saw Phineas had made Jerome's wish list, so I quickly threw it on. Can't tell you if it is as good as the particular album Jerome was talking about, but I can say I was not disappointed. It turned out to be a nice CD.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

jsaliga

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 05:07:39 AM »
The CD you have is from an album recorded in 1972 as I recall.  Phineas Newborn Jr. was in his prime from about 1957 through the late 1960s, though he did record a couple of notable comeback albums with Norman Granz on the Pablo label in the 1970s.  His early work is where his brilliance is best heard.  The record on my wish list is from 1962, issued on the Contemporary label.  I consider it Phineas Newborn Jr.'s best album.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:30:06 AM »
Here's a few more that are getting very difficult to find in decent shape.  I would love to see them on 45RPM 180g vinyl.

Max Roach - Jazz in 3/4 Time
Max Roach - Max Roach + 4
Max Roach - Max Roach + 4 on the Chicago Scene

--Jerome
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:45:39 AM by jsaliga »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 07:37:21 AM »
  I want Motown.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 09:15:23 AM »
I'm going to sound like a grouch when I say this, but I'll put my neck out there anyway.

First, I don't own any of the 45RPM reissues. I do own some of the 33RPM reissues though and I truly enjoy those I have.

However, second, I really have to want an album to pay the $35-40 price tag for a 180-200g 33RPM reissue. I really don't feel any necessity to shell out $50-100 for a 45RPM version of the same.

Third, I would find it far better to head to Infinity records in my town and pick up a stack of used vinyl for that $50-100 than just get one record.

I guess I don't feel that the difference between 33 and 45RPM versions warrants a doubling of the price, or the inconvenience of flipping the album every 10-12 minutes (OK, I'm getting old and lazy).

Just my perspective. For those who find these 45's a must have I can certainly understand your passion, I just don't share it.

Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

jsaliga

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 03:44:57 PM »
I just don't share it.

Then why post at all, Bob?  I mean honestly, wasn't this clear and obvious enough to you?

"Also, I ask that people not clutter this thread with posts like, "$50 for a reissue is a waste of money."  I am not interested in your opinion on the value of these records.  I am hoping to get some good feedback from those who buy them so I can encourage Chad to take a look at it and consider our wants."

--Jerome

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 04:34:05 PM »
Wes brought over some ORG 45's. They were simply stunning.
One record..Ella Swings Lightly at 45 was so good I just had to buy it.$60 is a lot for a record by anyone's standard, and now that I have a really good cartridge I just gotta hear it again...and again.

Bob  is right as well but we do spend big bucks for cables and power cords so the money gets spent anyway.  :duh

And the diffrerence between speeds is not huge but it is there, lots of layers and space and air, the stage gets less compressed and deepens and instruments focus closer to their real positions. Is this important to you? I quess it would have to be reserved for those special records you just love.
But I wish it was all recorded at 45!
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 05:23:51 PM »
I just don't share it.
Then why post at all, Bob?

ooh!  ooh!  I know! I know!! Oooooohhh ooooohhh!

Because it's a discussion forum?

jsaliga

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 05:50:58 PM »
When a tiny shred of respect is too much to ask for...well I think it's time for me to go away for a while.

Later...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:03:07 PM by jsaliga »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 05:36:41 AM »
I respect you, but it would be nice if you also respected me. I was just discussing 33 vs 45 and my opinion of such. Not trying to hijack your thread ... not trying to piss on your parade ... not looking for the kind of reaction I got from you.

Peace brother?

That said, I do love what I hear on 45's, but I wish there was a discounted used market for them. I guess if someone is shelling out that kind of money they're not going to let it out of their hands easily. Here's one that I would love to see done in 45RPM.

Pat Metheny - Secret Story

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline JBryan

• Seeking Help
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 06:31:49 AM »
Why 180g 45RPM LP's?... its true that you have to get off the couch to flip the records 2x more often than with a 33 1/3 LP and to really dial in the sound on 180-200g records most folks will have to adjust the VTA. Including the extra time for flipping, dusting, antistatic control and whatever else your vinyl ritual requires, playing a 45RPM can become quite the annoyance... until you start listening.

My first experience with a nice 45RPM album was joyous and bordered on the sublime. It was Horace Parlan's 'Speaking My Piece', one of the first Music Matters issues and the sound coming from the TT, I had never heard before - clean, detailed, well-paced and musical beyond anything that had been played on that TT - even the other standard weight 45PRM records in the stacks. I readjusted the arm to better suit 180g LPs and it sounded even better! Since then, I've been actively collecting 45RPM albums - I have a subscription to MM and I pick and choose the offerings from AA and others and I'm all the happier (and poorer) for it.

Now I'm not suggesting that everyone with a TT run out and buy up their favorite titles on 45RPM - it is expensive and there's definitely a PITA factor to it but if you have a nice TT setup, you really owe it to yourself to give it a listen at least once.

Back to the question...Why 180g 45RPM LPs? Well, why flip n' clean records when you can just insert a CD and press play?...Why not just download MP3 files directly to your network player and never leave the couch?...Why replace that perfectly functional zip cord with expensive speaker cables?...why upgrade caps, wires and tubes when the ones from the factory sound...'fine'?

It is all about the music and you can enjoy music coming from an AM radio and ear buds but most folks here want more - they want to get as close as possible to it and are willing to spend a lot of time, effort and money to get there. For me, 45RPM LPs just gets me a couple of steps closer.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 12:09:09 PM »
Jerome -

Is there a central listing of what IS on 45rpm/180g today?
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 12:20:50 PM »
A discussion forum that needs to be respectful of any parameters the OP lays down as applicable to HIS thread.

I just don't share it.
Then why post at all, Bob?

ooh!  ooh!  I know! I know!! Oooooohhh ooooohhh!

Because it's a discussion forum?
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."