Author Topic: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB vs Music Hall MMF 3.3  (Read 4549 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB vs Music Hall MMF 3.3
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 02:21:21 PM »
nick, the least painful way i've found to be able to post pics to sites like this that require a host format and don't allow you to post directly from your hard drive is to use google...

ymmv,

doug s.

Thanks, Doug. I wasn’t aware that’s the case. I’ll look into it a bit more. There must be an Apple iOS compatible app that will allow me to convert individual or small groups of my jpeg files to jpg or the other allowable formats here.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 02:22:43 PM »
The pics posting issue persists. The Apple pics are in jpeg format and it appears that isn’t supported on this site. I’m able to reduce the pic file size to medium and that’s within this forum’s 600 kB limit per pic. I don’t want to get into converting my jpegs into an allowable format here each time I want to post pics. It’s probably a lot easier than I’m making it out to be, but that’s my understanding of it. If someone wants to pm me their email address and post two pics for me, pls go ahead and do that.
I did find Steve Leung and the VAS website.
If you want to send it by phone, I'll PM you my cell phone number.  I've actually glued cartridge bodies back together with some success.
Scott

Thanks, Scott. I’m sending a pm.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2020, 03:27:38 PM »
I sent a reply by text message.  Sure looks like it was glued and it came loose, so I'd bet it's an easy fix.  Is the stylus still good?  I'm not that familiar with the Ultra 500, but a quick look around indicates it was a pretty decent cartridge, and worth a good stylus. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2020, 03:58:55 PM »
Scott pointed out to me that one of the mounting screws protruded past the cartridge body and could have separated the body from the mounting piece. Should be an easy fix...if I’m careful enough.
I went on the Shure site earlier today and there was a particular replacement stylus for the discontinued Ultra 500... a VN5MR iirc. I looked into this a few years ago, but forgot the particulars.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2020, 09:02:44 PM »
looks like you can get decent replacement styli for ~$130-$275...  even the least expensive one looks decent.  there's one i saw for $198 that lookes nice - maybe its stylus is nude instead of bonded - but it warns of its special cantilever material be fragile:
https://lptunes.com/products/jico-sas-zirconia-hg-replacement-for-shure-vn5mr-stylus-for-us-canada-americas-only

doug s.
Scott pointed out to me that one of the mounting screws protruded past the cartridge body and could have separated the body from the mounting piece. Should be an easy fix...if I’m careful enough.
I went on the Shure site earlier today and there was a particular replacement stylus for the discontinued Ultra 500... a VN5MR iirc. I looked into this a few years ago, but forgot the particulars.

Thanks, Doug. I just bookmarked it. Can’t say that I’ve seen a description quite like this before as to how fragile a cantilever is.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS