Author Topic: New Grover IC impressions (August 2007 graphite version)  (Read 48551 times)

jrebman

Re: New Grover IC impressions (August 2007 graphite version)
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2007, 08:38:52 AM »
I would definitely like to try the phono cables myself, but first I have to find out whether he builds them with right angle DIN connectors, and what the diameter and stiffness is like.  My new TT has a separate floating suspension for the armboard, and stiff cables will not work well with that.

I have a set of Van Den Hul phono cables now, that probably could use new, low mass RCAs, so the Grovers would have to be a step up from this to be worth my time.

-- Jim

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2007, 12:08:51 PM »
Dangerbird, are yours the Graphites that you got in the group buy, or did you upgrade them to the shielded black? I'm glad you like them.

I'm still using my 2 pair graphites between sources and amp. They have a lot of hours on them now. Still love them. The highs never bothered me after about 25 hours. They are holding up well under the Altmann amp's microscope. Detailed and full frequency, balanced and very "musical." I forget all about cables now. Can't hear anything standing out.
Thanks
Rich

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2007, 01:05:40 PM »
I would definitely like to try the phono cables myself, but first I have to find out whether he builds them with right angle DIN connectors, and what the diameter and stiffness is like.  My new TT has a separate floating suspension for the armboard, and stiff cables will not work well with that.

I have a set of Van Den Hul phono cables now, that probably could use new, low mass RCAs, so the Grovers would have to be a step up from this to be worth my time.

-- Jim

They well might be. The VDH are no slouches.  Why not try changing the RCAs to Bullet RCA or Audio note. You may be quite surprised.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

jrebman

« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2007, 02:39:31 PM »
Probably silver bullets is what I'll use.  I just have to figure out if these are the VDH carbon conductor cables -- in which case, I'm not going to touch them.

-- Jim

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2007, 03:18:21 PM »
Dangerbird, are yours the Graphites that you got in the group buy, or did you upgrade them to the shielded black? I'm glad you like them.

I'm still using my 2 pair graphites between sources and amp. They have a lot of hours on them now. Still love them. The highs never bothered me after about 25 hours. They are holding up well under the Altmann amp's microscope. Detailed and full frequency, balanced and very "musical." I forget all about cables now. Can't hear anything standing out.
Thanks
Rich

Mine are the "graphite" version. I'm ordering his phono cables as we speak. I'll keep ya"ll posted.  :D

Offline richidoo

« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2007, 03:25:01 PM »
Awesome! I'm glad they evened out for you.

BillC

« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2007, 08:28:43 PM »
SC update: For those who have found that the Grover S IC's achieved better harmonic balance with longer burnin, and are happy with the high end extension, I have only one thing to say: please try the SC cables!!  I probably have about 50+ hours on them now, and they definitely sound better than the S cables (to my ears, of course).  Midrange is cleaner, clearer, and the high end extension and killer bass from the S cables remains.  The cables seem more musical, mostly because I hear more music (the background is quieter, and notes seem to have more audible longevity. I think due to a quieter presentation.)

I have to say that I was a bit stunned at bixby's comment that spatial clues were missing. I hear so much high end extension capacity in the S and SC cables that the musical "setting" jumped out at me more than ever before.  I understand the relative recessing of midrange, and tone issues (those went away for me with long burnin), but the high end on these cables provide me more spatial information than I have ever heard before (with some definite edginess in the beginning - fortunately the S and SC cables both settled down nicely over time). Something sounds out of whack in bixby's situation - maybe a defect in the cables?  Maybe a poor design for the balanced cables?  Hard to say, but I am also using an analog front end and all tube amplification so we might be looking in very different windows.

I urge all who like the S cables try the SC cables. If you don't like them more than the S cables, I am sure Grover has a big pile of S cables available to send back... :)  I listen to a lot of music with vocals (M. Peyroux right now, and that husky voice is ALL there!) and the accuracy is just stunning.  Jacintha and Holly Cole sound "in the room", and slight shifts away from the mike are easily audible.

So try the SCs if you like the S ICs, and if you were a bit disappointed by the S, try the SC too (there is a notable difference).   :rofl:

(System info: Benz Glider cartridge, Rega 25 table, Wright Sound Co phono stage, ModWright 9.0SE preamp, modded ASL Hurricanes, to Ellis 1801b's [this month, with Timepiece Mini's arriving soon, I hope].

I think Grover hit a home run with the SC's, and I still hear the cables evolving.  (Too bad he kept me waiting till the 9th inning.  :lol:)

Bill C

jrebman

« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2007, 08:07:25 AM »
FYI, when I wrote to Grover earlier this week, he said that he recently had some computer problems and that if you want a fast turn-around time, wait a couple of weeks before sending them in.

-- Jim

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2007, 03:19:13 PM »
Just bit the bullet for the upgrade from the 2nd Group Buy (graphite) ICs to the newest iteration. Will post impressions after the cables arrive and are burnt in.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Bigfish8

« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2007, 04:26:28 PM »
I am wondering if anyone has done an A to B comparion of the new SCs versus the Graphite Edition?  Maybe another way to ask is if you upgraded from the graphites to the SCs what did you not enjoy about the Graphites?  Do you feel the sound is improved with the SCs?

Thanks,

Ken

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2007, 05:57:13 PM »
Well, Ken, that's an unfair question... yes, I did directly compare the S with the SC but there was nothing wrong with the S version -- just me in search of a life I suspect.   Oh, and yeah, I was a bit curious.

The 'S' graphite version (or the all white XLR pair I have) are very good in my system.   A wonderful sense of detail, definition and harmonic decay - moreso than any other ICs I've tried save for perhaps JPS SC2 ICs (which are a whole lot more $$).   I could have easily settled on the 'S's but, noooo, Grover just had to create something better.

So I asked for an RCA and XLR pair of SCs to compare to my 'S's.  I posted something earlier here describing what I heard.   The SC seemed more relaxed and refined than the S...  right from the start.  Burn in only improved from there.  The harmonic decay and sense of venue are truely exceptional - but that was true with the 'S' as well.  Now, I wouldn't call them warmer but perhaps a bit less edgy in the transient response department.   IMHO, they are one more step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, due to a very stupid incident on my part (see http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=718.0), I suddenly became a bit financially challenged so I sent the SCs back to Grover.  I'm bettin' I'm gonna regret that...

Bigfish8

« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »
Well, Ken, that's an unfair question... yes, I did directly compare the S with the SC but there was nothing wrong with the S version -- just me in search of a life I suspect.   Oh, and yeah, I was a bit curious.

The 'S' graphite version (or the all white XLR pair I have) are very good in my system.   A wonderful sense of detail, definition and harmonic decay - moreso than any other ICs I've tried save for perhaps JPS SC2 ICs (which are a whole lot more $$).   I could have easily settled on the 'S's but, noooo, Grover just had to create something better.

So I asked for an RCA and XLR pair of SCs to compare to my 'S's.  I posted something earlier here describing what I heard.   The SC seemed more relaxed and refined than the S...  right from the start.  Burn in only improved from there.  The harmonic decay and sense of venue are truely exceptional - but that was true with the 'S' as well.  Now, I wouldn't call them warmer but perhaps a bit less edgy in the transient response department.   IMHO, they are one more step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, due to a very stupid incident on my part (see http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=718.0), I suddenly became a bit financially challenged so I sent the SCs back to Grover.  I'm bettin' I'm gonna regret that...

Mike:

I am just trying to get my ears and wallet in sync.  I have a price from Grover to upgrade the Graphites to the new shielded cables and I just purchased a pair of VH Audio Pulsars from a gentleman to evaluate.  My system is starting to mellow-out with the recent addition of HT Pro 9 SCs to replace the Realities and the addition of a pair of Amperex Bugle Boys in place of the JJ Teslers in the Candela. 

I am confident an evaluation of the Pulsars in my system between the S3 and Candela will clarify the decision making process for me.

Sorry you felt it was an unfair question.  Have you received word about the repairs?

Good Luck,

Ken
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 07:32:05 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2007, 07:36:37 PM »
Sorry you felt it was an unfair question.  I just hate to spend money for the latest just because it happens to be the latest!

Ken

Oops... Ken  -- not an unfair question at all -- I was just being a bit too flippant... sorry.  (gotta learn to use these smileys more)...  I asked Grover to send me the SC mostly because I was quite curious and because I was quite impressed with the 'S' cables.   Upgrading just because we can is a known symptom of this cursed audionervosa  :rofl:

I do hope the Pulsars work for you (and thank you for calling me a gentleman ;-).   I've used them for a number of years.   I think you'll find them the yin to the Grover's yang (or is it the other way around?).   If nothing else, the Pulsars are a great tool in your arsenal because it does give you a way to warm up an otherwise overly precise/detailed presentation.

P.S... spending a lot of time comparing wire is a sure way to feed the nervosa side of things... You've got a great system so at some point, just sit back, relax and enjoy the tunes (gotta learn that lesson, gotta learn that lesson...)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 07:41:48 PM by mdconnelly »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2007, 08:56:18 PM »
Nice info guys. Thanks. I'm curious about the SCs now too. Ken, what is the price to upgrade a pair of 1M RCA "S" to "SC"? I know Grover posted it here a while back, but I'm lazy to look for it!

Ken what do you think of the Amperex? Very different huh??  Maybe post your impressions in the tube section sometime. I would really enjoy that, if you get a chance ;) Thanks!!
Rich

BillC

« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2007, 09:26:06 PM »
Grover emailed me that the cost to upgrade a pair of 1.0 meter RCA interconnects from the S (graphite) version to the SC version was $75.  Just FYI, the cost for a 1.5 meter upgrade was $85.  I enclosed a few extra dollars for shipping because it was not clear that was included in his quote...

As for comparison of the S to SC RCA interconnects, I was attempting to convey that in my post yesterday regarding my preliminary impressions of moving from the S (graphite) cables to the SC cables:

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=597.msg7013#msg7013

Ken, perhaps I was not describing some aspect you were interested in. If you could elaborate on which aspect of the "sound" you would like me to expand on I would be happy to do so...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 09:38:17 PM by BillC »