Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 2942071 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #1470 on: January 02, 2011, 09:39:30 PM »
Pomp & Pipes: Frederick Fennell/Dallas Wind Symphony - Paul Riedo, Organ

Powerful Music for Organ, Brass & Percussion
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #1471 on: January 02, 2011, 09:41:18 PM »
Express: Clary Terry, Bob Lark and the DePaul University Big Band

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #1472 on: January 02, 2011, 10:27:15 PM »
Jim Brock: Letters From the Equator

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Bigfish8

« Reply #1473 on: January 03, 2011, 10:51:05 AM »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #1474 on: January 03, 2011, 10:59:04 AM »
Wow Ken, you have really gotten pulled into this classical thing hook, line & sinker.  :thumb:

Now if we can only get our hands on that Bernstein set..... [-o<

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Bigfish8

« Reply #1475 on: January 03, 2011, 11:09:19 AM »
Wow Ken, you have really gotten pulled into this classical thing hook, line & sinker.  :thumb:

Tom:

I just placed orders on Amazon.com for all of the CDs listed here:  http://www.classicalcdguide.com/ 

I am enjoying Classical so very much I thought purchasing the above CDs would be a good way to experience some of the best composers.  What do you guys think?

Please keep me posted on the Bernstein Set as I will definitely jump on it when it becomes available again.

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #1476 on: January 03, 2011, 11:24:20 AM »
Uh-OH! Getting into quartets now. You're doomed!  :thumb:

Some good concerts coming up in Raleigh:

http://rcmg.org/preview.htm

We should have an AN field trip to go see the Julliard Quartet in March. The Beethoven Op. 132 (String Quartet #15) is essential listening, plus Bartok and the same Schubert that you are listening to now.

Bigfish8

« Reply #1477 on: January 03, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #1478 on: January 03, 2011, 12:02:33 PM »

Tom:

I just placed orders on Amazon.com for all of the CDs listed here:  http://www.classicalcdguide.com/ 

I am enjoying Classical so very much I thought purchasing the above CDs would be a good way to experience some of the best composers.  What do you guys think?

Please keep me posted on the Bernstein Set as I will definitely jump on it when it becomes available again.

Ken

Looks like a nice collection of music, although I am not familiar with any of the performances in particular.

I made an interesting discovery recently with regards to  the importance of SQ  and classical music. I my rummagings through the Crack House I cam across some albums that I remember from my parents classical collection when I was growing up. I never had too much appreciation for classical music back then and I think I am beginning to understand why. Almost every one of those albums that I picked up had fairly dreadful sound. (Not that the equipment we had in our home when I was a kid was any great shakes, but these albums were particularly bad. Even today, poorly recorded classical music just doesn't hold my interest. I have much more tolerance for poor sounding pop music, but if classical does not sound good it doesn't stay on for more than 1 or 2 minutes. I guess it may have to do with the fact that  I have a good acoustic reference of what unamplified classical is supposed to sound like. Pop on the other hand is supposed to sound like whatever was inside the producers brain that morning. Some people have suggested that I grew into my appreciation of classical music, but my soon Bobby developed a love of classical at age 14 (but he was used to hearing it on my rig.)

With this in mind I have the following suggestions for you. First keep an eye out for releases from the RCA Living Stereo, Mercury Living Presence and Reference Recordings series. I have never heard a bad sounding disc from any of them. Secondly, while you are in the discovery phase, make liberal use of your local library. Library records had a bad name because of how beat up they got and how bad the sounded after that. But CDs take much more abuse that records and still sound good. Check with your reference librarian and see if you guys have a web based catalog system. I have on-line access to the catalogs of all 54 local libraries in Nassau County and can order CD fro any of them from the comfort of my home at it will be delivered to my local branch. Great way to save a few bucks while to are trying to establish your preferences.

Finally another fun thing to do is once you find a particular piece of music that you like, start searching out multiple performances of that piece.It is interesting to hear how different conductors and orchestras put their own spin on a give piece. I must have 6 or more copies each of Scheherazade, Pictures at an Exhibition, Beethoven's 9th,  and Peter & the Wolf and each one has its own unique character.  (I have also gotten rid of several lousy copies of each.) This is another place where access to the library collection will com in handy. And if you find something from the library that you really like, you can always but a copy of that single disc (as opposed to the other couple of dozen that you listened to and didn't really care for.)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #1479 on: January 03, 2011, 12:08:02 PM »
Uh-OH! Getting into quartets now. You're doomed!  :thumb:

Some good concerts coming up in Raleigh:

http://rcmg.org/preview.htm

We should have an AN field trip to go see the Julliard Quartet in March. The Beethoven Op. 132 (String Quartet #15) is essential listening, plus Bartok and the same Schubert that you are listening to now.

Rich has a good idea. If you are going to start seriously listening to classical music, attending a few live concerts would give you and acoustic reference to compare recordings to.

Although we did have a Syndrome member who told us he had to give up going to live concerts because they made his stereo sound bad.  :rofl:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Bigfish8

« Reply #1480 on: January 03, 2011, 12:18:28 PM »

Bigfish8

« Reply #1481 on: January 03, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
Rich has a good idea. If you are going to start seriously listening to classical music, attending a few live concerts would give you and acoustic reference to compare recordings to.

Yes, definitely! :thumb:

Rich made a comment sometime back that I might need more bass if I really get into classical.  While I distinctly hear the kettle drums I don't feel their impact.  May have to consider integrating subs in the future. :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 12:24:19 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #1482 on: January 03, 2011, 12:24:40 PM »
Also, make sure you play classical music loud enough to bring it to life. Big speakers find their value here, with their ability to maintain excellent tone at high volumes and frequency extremes and delivering huge dynamic swings.  

We gave up season symphony tickets because listening to the home stereo was vastly better in almost every way, except for the live feeling. We attend specific acts and specific compositions now instead of season tix where 1/2 were disappointment. If I lived in NY or Minneapolis it might be different story.    But there are great travelling acts that come to UNC.

Ken, that last one looks smokin.  :thumb:

eleazar

« Reply #1483 on: January 03, 2011, 01:28:46 PM »
Radiohead – OK Computer

CD

eleazar

« Reply #1484 on: January 03, 2011, 03:38:04 PM »
U2 – Rattle And Hum

CD