Author Topic: Nola Viper  (Read 2480 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Nola Viper
« on: March 31, 2012, 02:23:15 PM »
Does anyone here have experience with NOLA speakers? I am considering a used pair of Viper 2a's and was wondering if they are held in high regard. I have never heard them and would be buying them without an audition. (Note: I am coming from a pair of B&W DM640) I expect a rather big improvement (as well as price tag) :rofl:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Vapor1

Re: Nola Viper
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 09:04:30 PM »
My opinion based on listening to Vipers some time ago is they were good in most aspects, very good in a few, but lacking in others.  The resolution/detail level overall was good, soundstaging was very good, bass tone and definition was very good, top octave air and extension was lacking.  They are I think a nice speaker, just that they don't really separate themselves from the pack.

But weren't they like $10K new?  Again, my opinion that's overpriced ... on the used market I'd say they're a $3000 speaker tops.  Now take that same speaker and have somebody who knows what they're doing retrofit with a RAAL on top, then you'd have something  8)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Nola Viper
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:22:41 PM »
My opinion based on listening to Vipers some time ago is they were good in most aspects, very good in a few, but lacking in others.  The resolution/detail level overall was good, soundstaging was very good, bass tone and definition was very good, top octave air and extension was lacking.  They are I think a nice speaker, just that they don't really separate themselves from the pack.

But weren't they like $10K new?  Again, my opinion that's overpriced ... on the used market I'd say they're a $3000 speaker tops.  Now take that same speaker and have somebody who knows what they're doing retrofit with a RAAL on top, then you'd have something  8)

I can't believe how overpriced speakers are. There is no way those speakers are worth 10K and I haven't even heard them.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata