Author Topic: Dave's IC's  (Read 29617 times)

DaveC

Re: Dave's IC's
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »
Thanks for the interest!

Bryan, Sure, I would be happy to have your friends try them out as well.

I will see how many sign up, if enough people are interested I may do 2 simultaneous tours so it doesn't take so long... 

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »
Do you have pricing on your speaker cables yet?  Have a cousin who is in love with my HT Pro 9's but can't afford them. This might be a good thing for him.... 

Any thoughts on using 4 runs of the 14 to get a net 11 ga speaker cable?

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

DaveC

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »
Do you have pricing on your speaker cables yet?  Have a cousin who is in love with my HT Pro 9's but can't afford them. This might be a good thing for him.... 

Any thoughts on using 4 runs of the 14 to get a net 11 ga speaker cable?

Bryan

Yes, I do plan on offering a 11 gauge speaker cable by doubling up on the 14 gauge wire... but it's not going to be cheap... The 20g EC-UPOCC wire is $2.55/ft and a 14g wire has 4x the amount of copper and will be about 4x the price.

So, a 14g 10' speaker cable will have about $400 in wire and $184 in connectors using Furutech UPOCC spades. An 11g speaker cable will use about $800 in wire and $184 in connectors. Initially, I plan on offering the cables for the price of parts, so it will be a good value relative to what's currently in the market, but it still won't be inexpensive.

I think the 14 gauge cable will be suitable for amps up to ~200 wpc, after that it might be a good idea to consider going with 11 gauge...

The construction of the EC-UPOCC wire is great for speaker cables, the individual strands of copper are 44 gauge, individually insulated and braided like litz wire. Plus, the wire is flat which allows the + and - legs to be run together to minimize inductance.

I should have the 14 gauge wire here in about two weeks, I'm thinking of doing a separate tour for the speaker cable...   :)'

Also, it is looking like I will need to do 2 tours since there is a lot of interest, which is great!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2013, 10:06:17 PM »
----quick intermission to this discussion----

A tour is starting for these cables!
I split the tour info into the tour area to follow those developments here: http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=4676.0

This thread can remain a discussion about Dave's cables.

----intermission is over-----
I really enjoy listening to music.

DaveC

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 08:17:39 PM »
Here's a prototype D1 XLR cable. Launche and pfarthings (from AC) are going to give it a try  :thumb:

It uses Furutech FP-701M and FP-702F gold plated XLR connectors. They are very robust connectors with a metal body and spring-type strain reliefs. The 22 gauge Neotech EC-UPOCC wires are braided with 18 gauge mil spec ground wires. This cable takes a bit more time, effort and money to build, but price will definitely be under $200.

DaveC

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 08:19:53 PM »
Thought I'd post this from the tour thread:

I have detailed pricing on the 14 gauge wire and speaker cable now.

The 14 gauge wire will sell for $8.59/ft.

I am going to make it available in bulk as well as finished speaker cable so people can use it for internal speaker wiring, crossovers, hook up wire inside amps, etc.

One caveat is that tinning the ends will require a solder pot, but a high wattage soldering iron with a large tip may work as well.

I will have an introductory price on speaker cable, the deal will be you get a finished set of speaker cables for the price of parts!

So an 8' set of SCs costs $275 without connectors. The connector prices are listed below, I can also do half spades and half bananas of course.

The "FP" and "FT" type connectors come with either Gold or Rhodium plating, prices are listed for both in G/R format.

Add $96/$172 for Furutech FP-200B(G/R) Bananas
Add $290/350 for Furutech FT-212(G/R) Bananas
Add $900 for Furutech CF-202(R) Bananas

Add $140/180 for Furutech FP-201(G/R) Spades
Add $250/280 for Furutech FT-211(G/R) Spades
Add $725 for Furutech CF-201(R) Spades

I think the best bang for your buck is with the FP-201(G) spades, an 8 foot set would cost $415. With half FP spades and half FP bananas the price would be $393.

In the future I do plan on actually charging for cable construction, but for now I would like to get as many cables out there as I can   :thumb:

DaveC

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2013, 06:32:57 PM »
DHL was a couple days late, and my tracking info said my package was in Tokyo yesterday, but I called and it was sitting at the local delivery dock... not being delivered.

But I got it today!  :D

The wire is made of 1060 strands of 44 gauge UPOCC copper, enamel insulated and braided around a thin/flat film core. Pretty cool!