Author Topic: FS: Decware DFR-8 Common Sense Ambience 2.8 Mk II Fostex Full Range Speakers  (Read 2747 times)

Offline danvprod

Selling a pair of Steve Decware-modified Fostex FE206En full-range high efficiency speakers in CommonSense Audio 2.8 Ambience Mk II cabinets. 
Here is a sample of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSESZ8YqLPM&t=65s
One of the better sounding full-range high efficiency speakers. Internal cable is very high quality solid core and the top ambient speaker can be taken out of the signal path with a switch on the back. The ambient speaker works very well and expands the soundstage in width and height and also pushes the soundstage back and out of the room. Very cool effect. I've compared these to Steve's top-of-the line HR-1 and they were not embarrassed by any stretch.

The ambient driver also increases the effect cone area of the speaker to about a 12" woofer and gives a nice midbass boost (since the up-firing driver adds to the lower midrange and mid-bass/bass as the room absorbs more of the higher frequencies than the front-firing driver. 
Drivers are Decware DFR-8s (which sell for $355/pr by themselves). Steve modifies Fostex FE206En full-range drivers for his DFR-8s. There are one pair per side; 4 total in this pair of speakers. They are 96 dB efficient with no crossover and only need a couple of watts to come alive. I am currently powering them with a 4 watt amp. 
Cabinets are CommonSense Audio (Lowther America) 2.8 Mk II Ambience (38.5T x 12W x 13.75D inches or 978 x 305 x 349 mm). If you check DIYAudio, you'll find these cabinets go for around $500 used when if they come up used. 
Even if you were to purchases these from me and install a pair of Lowther drivers and sell a pair of the Fostex full range drivers, you'd still come out on top.

Condition of the cabinets is fair. There are a couple of extra mounting holes on the top from a previous driver (not seen when metal grills are on).

Veener is in good shape and professionally finished in a satin red oak. 
Selling because I am upgrading and need to clear out some equipment.

Instruments sound like instruments with these and sound floats in the air. Holographic imaging and pinpoint accuracy/separation. 
Condition of the foam surrounds on the decware speakers are also fair and there a couple of small cuts in two of the drivers, which do not affect the sound. The foam surrounds are actual a second surround that Steve adds to the existing surround of the Fostex (in addition to the new phase plug). 
Highly prefer local pickup in or around Raleigh NC, but would be open to shipping at your cost. I would have to bring them to my FedEx to pack and ship with expanding foam. They've quoted me $270-$470 depending on location. US Only for shipping options.

Offline danvprod

SOLD.