Author Topic: ExactPower Ep15A  (Read 5657 times)

westcoastman

ExactPower Ep15A
« on: March 22, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »
I didn’t know the effect different  AC components can make to an audio system until I tried Black Sand Cables.  I have read a lot about how different audio factions think that power conditioning and different types of power cables are hogwash.  I originally bought the Black Sand cables to make things look “PRETTY”.  It turned out to be more than that.

In another post I mentioned how that on certain days and certain times of the day the music sounded flat.  I kind of new (gut feeling) what may be the problem but I needed to learn from experience and other people would think I am full of it. 

So my first power conditioner – APC Surge Protector.  Little did I know!  I graduated to a Balkan Pure AV PF 30 Power Console.   I couldn’t hear a difference but I had power protection. How little I still knew!  My next graduation was to the Richard Gray Power Company 600s. Increased sound stage and actually made a difference on my Sharp LC45D40U.  Blacker blacks and whiter whites...just like the old Tide commercial. Bass was deeper and loose.  I deducted that voltage regulation was my next step.

I researched the PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Furman Sound, Equi=Tech and others like Monster AVS2000 and finally settled on an ExactPower EP15A.  With no distributor in Canada, I purchased a used one on Audiogon.   It took two weeks to get it, but it was worth the wait.  I replaced the Richard Gray 600s with this and was impressed.  The PS Audio Power Plant was my last resort as it was big and claims that it produced some noise and was only 85% efficient.  Plus it was bigger than my rack could really accommodate.

I have been using the EP15A for the past week and no more flat sounding times of the day.  Greater soundstage and same video effects as the Richard Gray 600s. The bass tightened up,  I would say it was like increasing the damping factor of the power amp because the bass sounded like the days when I was using the Crown D150 power amp.

This is the next best upgrade I have made since the Copeland DRC 205.

Disclaimer:  No alcohol was consumed during the experiences of previously used components or the writing of this “OPINION”

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: ExactPower Ep15A
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 04:41:14 PM »
Great review! Funny and informative.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/exactpower_ep15a.htm

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: ExactPower Ep15A
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:27:50 PM »
Very nice review, thanks!  I've heard good things about 'Exact Power'.  Thanks for the link, Rich.
I really enjoy listening to music.