Author Topic: Yet Another Post On My Path To Nirvana... DAC  (Read 2882 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Yet Another Post On My Path To Nirvana... DAC
« on: January 09, 2021, 08:50:06 AM »
Morning all, just some musings on a morning of measuring and moving speakers, switching dacs, etc. A typical Saturday morning...
I’ve been streaming music via a Bluesound Node 2i https://www.crutchfield.com/S-EXCxk772o9J/shopsearch/node_2i.html?XVINQ=BI4&XVVER=1PP&awcr=76828502216917&awdv=c&awkw=bluesound%20node%202i&awmt=e&awnw=s&awat=&awug=98088
I have always been satisfied with the sound via it’s analog outputs. However, I was sent a couple of Schiit dacs to try by a friend- the Modi3, and Modi Multibit. It became clear to me that as good as the Node 2i is, the sound can be improved upon. With the new dacs, I could more easily discern the SQ of the two tiers of Tidal streaming. Truthfully, I wish I could say it was a clear cut win for the Schiits, but I’ve been trying some new speakers too, but too many changes preclude me from saying so. The Node 2i made everything sound good; the dacs pronounced differences, not all good. Maybe GIGO at work.
This morning, I decided to try using the coax DAC input on my Esoteric K-07X SACD/CD player, something recommended to me many times. This appears to have taken things to an altogether higher level; it should at it’s price. I’ve been suckered in to ‘new’ sounding better before, and then time takes it’s toll. But for now, I’m going to enjoy what seems to be lower lows and higher, sweeter highs.
All this is being done via a BlueJeans 75 ohm digital 1 meter cable. Any recommendations on upgrading this piece is appreciated.
I just want to reiterate- the Schiits vs the Esoteric is an apples to oranges comparison. 250.00 dac vs 5,000.00 player.
Jim
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
Re: Yet Another Post On My Path To Nirvana... DAC
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 12:35:24 PM »
Try either the Coax cable from TWL or Audio Envy. 
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 01:52:48 PM »
Haven’t tried the TWL Spirit 75 cable, but I’m quite happy with the Audio Envy.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 02:01:50 PM »
Just so happens an AE coax cable showed up on AC yesterday.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 09:10:38 AM »
  Lesson learned that the Esoteric is lacking. For 5K you should be in bliss. Liking the Merason DAC.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline James Edward

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 11:04:53 AM »
Charles,
I AM LOVING the Esoteric's sound- this is what I wrote about it:

This morning, I decided to try using the coax DAC input on my Esoteric K-07X SACD/CD player, something recommended to me many times. This appears to have taken things to an altogether higher level; it should at it’s price. I’ve been suckered in to ‘new’ sounding better before, and then time takes it’s toll. But for now, I’m going to enjoy what seems to be lower lows and higher, sweeter highs.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Brap

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 07:03:02 AM »
Nice post.  Dialed in my system to 95%. Had streaming issues from iPad with Qobuz on the Cambridge CXN, got a new dongle and that did not help. WiFi signal showed 90+% but still cutting in and out.  Decided this weekend to fish a ethernet cable from the main floor to basement listening room (that was a chore), and Viola -- all fixed. Appears the Cambridge likes that better, still trying to figure out how that improved WiFi signal from iPad but not sweating that anymore. Ended up getting a variac or my ST-70 since the voltage in the new place fluctuates from 116-127VAC - not great for tube longevity. All better now dialed in at 119.  I have excellent imaging and whether you like it or not, there is a older dance track, Amy Stewart, Knock on Wood that provides some great soundstage. Hearing full front wall and side wall imaging - nice recording. Vinyl is sounding good also, Vivaldi 4 seasons, excellent.  Noticed some bass reflections from the front wall so ordered up some panels from Audimute, coming next week. Being said, very happy and enjoying!
Happy New Year to all.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 09:52:13 AM »
Nice post.  Dialed in my system to 95%. Had streaming issues from iPad with Qobuz on the Cambridge CXN, got a new dongle and that did not help. WiFi signal showed 90+% but still cutting in and out.  Decided this weekend to fish a ethernet cable from the main floor to basement listening room (that was a chore), and Viola -- all fixed. Appears the Cambridge likes that better, still trying to figure out how that improved WiFi signal from iPad but not sweating that anymore. Ended up getting a variac or my ST-70 since the voltage in the new place fluctuates from 116-127VAC - not great for tube longevity. All better now dialed in at 119.  I have excellent imaging and whether you like it or not, there is a older dance track, Amy Stewart, Knock on Wood that provides some great soundstage. Hearing full front wall and side wall imaging - nice recording. Vinyl is sounding good also, Vivaldi 4 seasons, excellent.  Noticed some bass reflections from the front wall so ordered up some panels from Audimute, coming next week. Being said, very happy and enjoying!
Happy New Year to all.

Glad you’re 95% there. Hadn’t heard of Audimute, so took a look at their website. Very nice selection of products and reasonably priced.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Brap

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 11:13:14 AM »
Nick and all -- I researched several and was able to talk to a few of them  These guys were great to work with. Use the material from Guilford of Maine so had to look on their site for materials. Ordered up some sample fabrics for the WAF which was free and delivered quickly.  15 day lead time for panels from Audimute.  Acoustical Solutions was another which were decent to work with.  Looking forward to mounting these and removing the reflections. Must say this room is giving me some decent bass from my Fritzies!
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 02:49:35 PM »
Nick and all -- I researched several and was able to talk to a few of them  These guys were great to work with. Use the material from Guilford of Maine so had to look on their site for materials. Ordered up some sample fabrics for the WAF which was free and delivered quickly.  15 day lead time for panels from Audimute.  Acoustical Solutions was another which were decent to work with.  Looking forward to mounting these and removing the reflections. Must say this room is giving me some decent bass from my Fritzies!

Yeah, those little Fritzies have good bass. As I know little about acoustics, what effect are the reflections currently having on bass response?
PS was fun to listen to some Amii Stewart...brought me back to another era 😀
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Brap

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 03:23:28 PM »
Nick,  No real effect on response, just getting reflection from the front wall. Carrera's are approx. 40" from the wall but placing my hand on it while listening t elevated levels ( :roll:) I felt what I heard. Sounds strange but experimenting with some fabric taped to the ceiling to floor, helped, hence my decision to get panels more appealing.  Trust you heard the wall to wall imaging on that Ami Stewart track. My font wall is 20' wide and it was fully covered in sound. (Still can't believe back in the day, I would dance to that entire version without stopping. Must have been  :beer: and  :yay2: )
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 07:57:03 PM »
Nick,  No real effect on response, just getting reflection from the front wall. Carrera's are approx. 40" from the wall but placing my hand on it while listening t elevated levels ( :roll:) I felt what I heard. Sounds strange but experimenting with some fabric taped to the ceiling to floor, helped, hence my decision to get panels more appealing.  Trust you heard the wall to wall imaging on that Ami Stewart track. My font wall is 20' wide and it was fully covered in sound. (Still can't believe back in the day, I would dance to that entire version without stopping. Must have been  :beer: and  :yay2: )

Brad,
Understand about the vibration issue. Was playing a frequency response test CD some months ago and noticed bad room interaction at about 70 Hz or so. Only listened to Ami on iPad last night. Maybe on the big rig tonight after the football game. Speaking of Ami and disco, wonder whatever happened to my bell bottom pants?!
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Brap

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 04:27:32 AM »
Was it by chance the Nordst Systems solution disc?  Used mine to set up the initial speaker placement but did NOT use disc #2 for the frequency sweep. Duh, will do that tonight. Found a picture of me in a leisure suit and platforms -- kids (32/30) were cracking up. They also watched the BeeGees special and laughed but did agree that some of the music of the era was pretty good and asked if the times were that crazy.  Then the stories started.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 08:46:44 AM »
Charles,
I AM LOVING the Esoteric's sound- this is what I wrote about it:

I guess I misunderstood. Just used a different input as opposed to DAC. My bad read it to fast.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 11:09:37 AM »
Was it by chance the Nordst Systems solution disc?  Used mine to set up the initial speaker placement but did NOT use disc #2 for the frequency sweep. Duh, will do that tonight. Found a picture of me in a leisure suit and platforms -- kids (32/30) were cracking up. They also watched the BeeGees special and laughed but did agree that some of the music of the era was pretty good and asked if the times were that crazy.  Then the stories started.

It was a CD I found, probably on Tidal. I don’t have the ability to play CDs...only do streaming. I’ve never used a CD for speaker placement. Might look into that. But I have a very asymmetrical room and actually feel quite fortunate that it sounds so good.
I did play that Ami Stewart cut last night on the big rig and don’t get the wide soundstage that you mentioned. But my system does other things quite well. As I’ve probably mentioned previously, this is the best things have sounded....ever!  :D
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS