Author Topic: An Afternoon At The Crack House  (Read 280492 times)

eleazar

Re: An Afternoon At The Crack House
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2011, 02:03:44 PM »
Just call me Crazy one more time as Gene said we met up at the Record Connection
down near Lancaster Pa. I spent more on 1 LP than ever before.

1. The Beatles ~ Magical Mystery Tour    (MFSL)
2. The Rain parade ~ Crashing dream
3. The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band Vol. 3 ~ A Childs Guide To Good And Evil  (New Vinyl)
4. Jade Warrior ~ Kites
5. Jade Warrior ~ Waves

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2011, 03:46:47 PM »
Just call me Crazy one more time as Gene said we met up at the Record Connection

3. The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band Vol. 3 ~ A Childs Guide To Good And Evil  (New Vinyl)
4. Jade Warrior ~ Kites
5. Jade Warrior ~ Waves

My brother-in-law lived in Zanesville OH and while he was still alive we used to meet several times a year somewhere around the Harrisburg/Lancaster area for weekend visits. Of course I would always try to hit the local record stores (as I do whenever I travel) and I have been to the Record Connection on several occasions and always came away with the same impression that you guys did. Although he has a nice selection the bargins there are few and far between. I always came away with something , but also ended up spending more that I had planned to on the way in (and not because I was walking out with boxes of cheap things from the dollar bins either.)

Congrats on the MMT album. That is a nice find. (Although I've never met a Beatles album that I didn't like.) As good as the CD remasters are, they still don't compare to a good condition LP.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

eleazar

« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2011, 03:44:10 PM »

4. Jade Warrior ~ Kites
5. Jade Warrior ~ Waves

My brother-in-law lived in Zanesville OH and while he was still alive we used to meet several times a year somewhere around the Harrisburg/Lancaster area for weekend visits. Of course I would always try to hit the local record stores (as I do whenever I travel) and I have been to the Record Connection on several occasions and always came away with the same impression that you guys did. Although he has a nice selection the bargins there are few and far between. I always came away with something , but also ended up spending more that I had planned to on the way in (and not because I was walking out with boxes of cheap things from the dollar bins either.)

Congrats on the MMT album. That is a nice find. (Although I've never met a Beatles album that I didn't like.) As good as the CD remasters are, they still don't compare to a good condition LP.

I did a quick run thru the $1 boxes and from what I saw they were nothing but dumpster fodder

Offline tmazz

« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2011, 07:29:53 PM »

I did a quick run thru the $1 boxes and from what I saw they were nothing but dumpster fodder

Yup, that exactly how I remember it.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2011, 07:55:55 PM »
Hey, big disaster at the Crack House this weekend. They more than doubled the price on LPs.   :shock:  :shock: :shock:They used to be 69 cents per album accross he board. Now the records are all individuallly priced satrting at $1.41 with others at $1.91 and $2.42. And there seems tro be no rhyme or reason as to what gets which  price.  :duh

This may end up craming my style a bit.... (well, maybe not.....)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2011, 04:09:20 AM »
Well that's not good, maybe prices got bumped up due to increased floor traffic with RSD?

Just finished my weekend by ordering 2 Lee Morgans online, Candy and 180g version of Tomcat - I'm done.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2011, 12:56:36 PM »
Well that's not good, maybe prices got bumped up due to increased floor traffic with RSD?

I doubt it. This is not a record store per se, just a general trift shop. They have been there about a year and a half now and over the last month or so I have seen all of their prices start to creep up across the board.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2011, 01:34:57 PM »
To All:

I will be attending the Spring 2011 Carlisle, PA classic car show next week with two other buddies. (We've had this planned since their Fall show in October 2010!)

Unfortunately, the forecast calls for rain for the next gazillion years in Carlisle (according to weather.com) and the Carlisle Fairgrounds will most likely become one big mud puddle!  :(

We may need to switch to "Plan B"... Do any of you know any audio and/or record shops near Carlisle or Boiling Springs, PA?  :)

Thanks!
SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

eleazar

« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2011, 02:17:43 PM »
Goggle maps says 1 hour 20 min. to the Record Connection from Carlisle

eleazar

« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2011, 02:27:44 PM »
Hey, big disaster at the Crack House this weekend. They more than doubled the price on LPs.   :shock:  :shock: :shock:They used to be 69 cents per album accross he board. Now the records are all individuallly priced satrting at $1.41 with others at $1.91 and $2.42. And there seems tro be no rhyme or reason as to what gets which  price.  :duh

This may end up craming my style a bit.... (well, maybe not.....)

I saw a Badfinger "Straight up" Lp at the Record Connection the cover was a VG at best and they wanted 15 big ones so even at their maxed out price of $2.42 your still doing great. BTW great find Tmazz..........Bill

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »
Goggle maps says 1 hour 20 min. to the Record Connection from Carlisle

Record Connection pushed off their sidewalk sale till this coming, or the following weekend. Still, you might find something closer at;

RecordSmith of Pennsylvania
VISIT WEBSITE @ http://www.recordsmithpa.com/

New and Pre-Owned CDs and Vinyl of many genres, including Indie & Classic Rock, R&B, Hip-Hop & Rap, Jazz & Blues, Country & Americana, Dance, Disco, Club, Traditional Christian and Christian Rock, Mainstream Pop, Standards & Easy Listening, & Classical.
Address:
13 East Main Street
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055, United States of America
Phone: 717-448-3991 (mobile)
Email: myrecordsmith@aol.com

"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2011, 05:41:55 PM »
To All:

I will be attending the Spring 2011 Carlisle, PA classic car show next week with two other buddies. (We've had this planned since their Fall show in October 2010!)

Unfortunately, the forecast calls for rain for the next gazillion years in Carlisle (according to weather.com) and the Carlisle Fairgrounds will most likely become one big mud puddle!  :(

We may need to switch to "Plan B"... Do any of you know any audio and/or record shops near Carlisle or Boiling Springs, PA?  :)

Thanks!
SN

And if the weather turns cr@ppy you could always adjust your route back to Long Island to take you home via Princeton.  aa

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2011, 06:25:41 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  If my memory serves me correctly, Mechanicsberg is about 20-25 minutes East of Carlisle.

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline tmazz

« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2011, 09:44:08 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  If my memory serves me correctly, Mechanicsberg is about 20-25 minutes East of Carlisle.

Hey Bill, if the weather is rotten on Friday there is a nice used record store in York and while you are there you can take the plant tour at the Harley factory. But check out the tour hours on the web. If I remember correctly they are closed on the weekends and I am not sure what time the last tour kicks off.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2011, 05:41:00 AM »

Hey Bill, if the weather is rotten on Friday there is a nice used record store in York and while you are there you can take the plant tour at the Harley factory. But check out the tour hours on the web. If I remember correctly they are closed on the weekends and I am not sure what time the last tour kicks off.

I just looked York up on Google maps.  It's about 50 minutes South-East of Carlisle.  A little off the "beaten path" compared to Mechanicsberg, which is closer and more of a direct route on the way home.  I guess we'll just see how this all plays out. 

Here's where I really need the damned weather(wo)man to be wrong on his/her forecasts for next week! 

Bill

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L