Author Topic: Once again Ethan Winer (Whiner)...  (Read 4444 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Once again Ethan Winer (Whiner)...
« on: April 17, 2020, 11:37:56 PM »
Proves he is an idiot!  From Facebook:

Power Conditioner Audio [Does It Improve Sound Quality?, updated 2020/04/17]
A power conditioner or purifier is one of audiophile equipment, that may be demonstrated the easiest way (watch the video in the article). But, does the device improve sound quality? Read below what happens inside musical apparatus with and without the device, how to find the best conditioner for your...

Comments
Ethan Winer
Ethan Winer I agree with your conclusion that buying a "power conditioner" product is a waste of money. But the very last part, the conclusion, is all that's really needed. :D I also agree with your point that the correct place to measure is at the output of the audio device. This proves the dishonesty of "power" product sellers, because they never show that!

· Reply · 10h
Yuri  Korzunov
Yuri Korzunov Power supply, shielding, grounding are sophisticated matters, that require manual adjusting under permanent instrumental control. And point of measurement is the main key!

Ethan Winer
Ethan Winer Yes, though most of this things don't matter. Even shielding has little effect for most line level outputs because they're low impedance. Shielding does matter with very low level high impedance outputs, such as a piezo acoustic guitar pickup.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Once again Ethan Winer (Whiner)...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 07:16:27 AM »
As you hang around this hobby, you gradually learn which voices to listen to, and which to ignore (and there is a lot of both).  I stopped paying attention to Winer a long time ago. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 01:30:58 PM »
As you hang around this hobby, you gradually learn which voices to listen to, and which to ignore (and there is a lot of both).  I stopped paying attention to Winer a long time ago.
Yeah, truth.

Back when I was doing qute a bit of studio design I kept running across young, eager individuals that had read a lot of what he said about everything from acoustics to electronics.  I can't tell you how difficult it was to explain to them that a lot of what Winer was spouting was opinion and not a lot of science.  Acoustic design is hard to get wrong because there is a lot of science and prior art?  He borrowed heavily from John Storyk and Tom Hidley - widely disparate in their work.   Winer was a proponent of LEDE room design.  That led to a lot of overly bright recordings.  Synaudcon '81 created the entire Sonex empire.  When room design went o reflective zone / non-reflective zone designs well balanced recordings and mastering became less of a chore.

His whole wire is wire thing just makes me crazy!  A lot of his equipment recommendations are completely mystifying.

Oh, well: he has done a lot better than me in the $$$ realm  :roll:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:20:39 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 11:06:09 AM »
Oh no! Not this guy again!  :duh

I didn't know he had so many disciples. For some reason I found a video of his on YouTube where he challenges Paul McGowan to a public debate.

When you put up a video of yourself on your channel (with your own name on it) and you refer to yourself in the third person in the title, I think there are problems. All the comments are by sycophants.

It seems he even got banned at Audio-----cs , who just love measurements and 'objectivity'. Who is this guy?