Author Topic: AUDIO SHOWS  (Read 8607 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
AUDIO SHOWS
« on: June 09, 2020, 01:19:59 PM »
  Any news yet ? Getting itchy.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
Re: AUDIO SHOWS
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 01:05:59 PM »
  Yes charles some news CAF is off. All cancelled. Why thank you charles. Have a nice day. You to.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 11:18:27 AM »
  Yes a pity always a great time.
charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 11:32:28 AM »
  Do you think we are ready for Shows to reopen ? I do VPI had one in PA Went very well All the Social distancing and masks. They had three big rooms with several different manf's. All had a great time.

charles

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 09:04:25 PM »
Unfortunately I would say it is too soon for several reasons.

While VPI may have had a nice little event, the key word is little. There is a huge difference between VPI hosting three rooms and a show like CAF that has 75-100 rooms and vendor spaces. At the last CAF VPI had three rooms of their own. So I don't think you can compare what VPI did in PA to a major audio show in terms of scale and the number of people involve.

Personally I have no interest at all in attending a CAF sized show while Covid is still in our realm. I know that  some people think we are on the downhill side, but as the numbers have shown even if we are past the peak it doesn't take much for things to flair up again. In just the past week 26 states have shown an increase in Covid cases and hospitalizations. So like Yogi Berra always said, it ain't over till it's over".

Can we take precautions to mitigate the spread at a show, sure we can. but those precautions would only lower the risk to the attendees and considering that being in a big crowd would raise the risk considerably I'm not sure that the precautions would lower that risk to a level that would be equal to what you would be exposed to it you did not go at all.

And quite frankly I don't know that the required precautions would not make the experience unpleasant enough for people not  to go just because of them. For example, I am sure that Covid rules would severely limit the number of people who could be in a room at any given time. I could see that leading to long waits to get into the room and a lot of time spent wasted in lines. That would certainly start to piss me off in no time flat. The ability to move quickly and easily from room to room and sample a large amount of different gear in a short amount of time is one of the biggest draws to these shows for me. If I had to wait a lot I would definitely think twice about attending. (Not to mention the problems in maintaining social distancing of many people were force to wait on lines in small hallways.) And secondly with all of the people that would be at a large show it would be paramount that everybody wear masks at all time. I have absolutely no desire to spend two or three 10 hour days wearing a masks that will not only get hot but also end up fogging my glasses and making it tough to see anything when I do finally get into a room. For me the bottom line is that the restrictions that would be required to make the event safe would also make it so bothersome to me that I would just rather not go.

And of course the things I mentioned just have to do with being there. Getting there is a whole different kettle of fish. I am close enough to CAF that I would drive regardless of the Covid situation. But for many of the exhibitors and attendees this is not always the case. And flying in to DC or taking some other form of public transportation brings all kinds of other concerns and there are many people who won't go anywhere near a plane or AMTRAK train because of Covid.

But of course that is just my feelings on the trade off they would be imposed by the safety restrictions. While I do believe there are many people who would agree with me on this, I also realize that there are others that wouldn't care and if they wanted to go the have every right to do so. But one of the real questions for the show organizers is how n=many people will stay away and are there enough that would still be willing to come to make a show worth running.

While all of the things discussed so far have had to go with peoples willingness to get to or be at the show there are another set of concerns bout running one of these sows and they are business concerns.It is very expensive for companies to take rooms at these shows and given the economic climate of the past 6 months  I don't know how many companies have the money  to take a room. While some of the larger more well established players like VPI seem to have been able to maintain some sort of business during the pandemic over the past few year a larger and lager percentage of the room are being hosted by new start ups of foreign companies trying to break into the US market. It is questionable how many of these companies have done enough business during the pandemic to be able to afford the price tag associated with exhibiting at these shows.  The announcement to cancel this years RMAF was made only a few days after the deadline for vendors to sign up for rooms. While I don't have any hard facts to support this, I don't think it would be a big leap of faith to assume that the cancellation decision was driven more by the lack of vendor participation than it was by Covid restrictions

And lastly these shows need to be planned way far in advance. As fluid as the Covid situation and the rules surround it are I am not sure how quick some of the show organizers will be to plan thins a year or so in advance.  Just as an example suppose the hotel that hosts CAF has a wedding a few weeks before the show and a Covid hot spot breaks out from that wedding. It is not beyond the realm of the possible that the state or local govt could a result of that hot spot, forbid the hotel from allowing gatherings the size of the show, leaving the organizers left holding the bag for all of the costs of organizing and preparing for the show and perhaps non refundable deposits for some of the expenses of running the event. It just would not surprise me in the least if some  of these show organizers started to feel that when uncertainty of the environment just made the financial risk more than they were willing to take on and they just stopped doing shows until the situation improved.

And while I do agree with Charles that I as an audiophile would love to be able to go to an audio show again, with all of the different factors working against them right now I am sad to sad that I just don't see that happening any time in the near future.

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 02:19:45 PM »
At the risk of opening the C19 can of worms again I have a few observations that are derived from conversations with friends of mine that are physicians and our daughter.

C19 isn’t going away.  It is in the biosphere and can be expected to stay here for a looooong time.  Chances are that we all will contract the virus.  Question is how will it effect us?  As viruses do it will mutate and lose potency.

If COV2 is the determining factor we will never see another audio show, even with a vaccine moreover effective than the seasonal flu vaccine.  Treatment, not prevention will be the deciding factor until we attain herd immunity.  That won’t happen with the upside down methodology being foisted upon us here in the US.

Sweden was right.  I’ll wager they are having audio shows.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 06:01:38 PM »
We should put the brakes on any more Covid discussions.
Thanks,
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 09:26:22 PM »
We should put the brakes on any more Covid discussions.
Thanks,
Nick
I certainly didn’t intend to pick a scab, but obviously... duh.  There I go again  :shock:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 09:40:57 PM »
All is good  :thumb: I just turned on the system for some late listening 😀
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 04:30:07 PM »
There's no way for it to be not political... so I'm with Nick on this.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 08:10:29 PM »
For once I thought the discussions of Covid in this tread were treated from basically a scientific point of view and were rather apolitical. But I can understand where Nick is coming from and Covid discussion have a tendency to get ugly in a heartbeat, so even though this one has stayed tame so far, perhaps it is better to proactively avoid the topic.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 08:39:11 PM »
For once I thought the discussions of Covid in this tread were treated from basically a scientific point of view and were rather apolitical. But I can understand where Nick is coming from and Covid discussion have a tendency to get ugly in a heartbeat, so even though this one has stayed tame so far, perhaps it is better to proactively avoid the topic.
Yep.

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 07:06:45 AM »

Being "scientific" isn't as easy as it sounds. People often go with what sounds like it is to them. For example in my state masks are required, and yet we had some swings in numbers... Science is inconclusive on the masks as all the studies show null results because they're hard to conduct and tend to be maybe observational at best... on top of the fact they have to follow a virus around in the wild and it's near impossible to know if everyone's had it (the antibody tests appear to be shitty). So despite the SCIENCE, our commercials on TV tell us masks are scientifically proven effective. So how do you follow the science? I don't see how it can't be political. It's more like pick your politician or pick your scientist...

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2020, 12:28:31 PM »
  Me as well Tom. Innocent comments on shows.

charles

Offline tmazz

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 07:02:50 AM »

Being "scientific" isn't as easy as it sounds. People often go with what sounds like it is to them. For example in my state masks are required, and yet we had some swings in numbers... Science is inconclusive on the masks as all the studies show null results because they're hard to conduct and tend to be maybe observational at best... on top of the fact they have to follow a virus around in the wild and it's near impossible to know if everyone's had it (the antibody tests appear to be shitty). So despite the SCIENCE, our commercials on TV tell us masks are scientifically proven effective. So how do you follow the science? I don't see how it can't be political. It's more like pick your politician or pick your scientist...

When I said this tread was discussing Covid more from a Scientific point of view I guess what I was trying to get across was that the nature of the discussion was up to that point largely unemotional and more like two scientists would discuss it. Just the facts and keep politics out of it.  Of course eve among scientists there are varying opinions on things  most often not so much about the facts, but on the relevance of the facts and how they build up to a bigger picture on a particular topic. Scientists and and often do disagree, but they will usually play Joe Friday and just discuss the matter from a professional point of view. And those discussions usually prove productive ad advance the understanding of the subject under study.

On the on the other hand all to many Covid discussions in the general public these days quickly turn political evolving into not much more thane emotional shouting matches of my guy did this vs your guy didn't do that or if my guy was in charge this never would have happened etc. These types of arguments usually accomplish nothing but raising blood pressure and hurting feelings.

That said I do agree with what you are saying and it is all the more reason to avoid Covid discussions here on AN. I know that is hard to do given the amount of impact that the virus has had on our daily routines, but he last things we want to cause here are high blood pressure and hard feelings.

I am beginning to think that Covid should join Religion and Politics on the list of things you never want to get in an argument about.  :roll:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9