Author Topic: what’s your philosophy of voicing a system?  (Read 15702 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
what’s your philosophy of voicing a system?
« on: September 28, 2022, 08:00:37 PM »
I’ve been in this hobby for 35+ years and it’s only the last few years where I’ve been able to get very good sound and “dial in” my system. Most of that has been accomplished by listening to guys here who are smarter and more experienced in audio than me. As I continue to get improved sound, I’ve adopted a general philosophy of using a tube preamp, a solid state amp, excellent AC filtration and using looms of power cords and cables. I’ve learned quite a bit about tube rolling and the huge difference it can make simply by trying different 6ns7 nos tubes and 5u4c and variant rectifier tubes. For years I had harsh upper mids, partly due to listening to bad recordings, not having any room treatments and less than stellar wires. Nowadays, I lean toward the warm side of neutral. I only want to voice my system based on the preamp tubes that I use. I don’t want to get into mixing and matching different brands of power cords and cables to fix problems. Either the power cords and cables work in unison to present the music properly or they don’t. I realize this can get a bit pricey going with one company’s power cords or cables, but it makes the most sense to me and is a simpler methodology to evaluate. Admittedly, I rely on some reviews in addition to members opinions and experience here. If there’s a question of a speaker, amp, dac etc being described as on the lean side, I will likely avoid it. So I’m wondering what methodologies and practices you’ve employed to dial in your system or is it more flexible and desirable to mix and match.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
Re: what’s your philosophy of voicing a system?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 09:56:41 PM »
One thing you may find out soon is that a different speaker and especially a different room will have you scratching your head trying to figure out what went wrong.  The room at the house in SC has had me doing that for over two years. If/when the room addition is done there I will have to start the process all over again. 
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 10:09:28 PM »
I’ve been in this hobby for 35+ years and it’s only the last few years where I’ve been able to get very good sound and “dial in” my system. Most of that has been accomplished by listening to guys here who are smarter and more experienced in audio than me. As I continue to get improved sound, I’ve adopted a general philosophy of using a tube preamp, a solid state amp, excellent AC filtration and using looms of power cords and cables. I’ve learned quite a bit about tube rolling and the huge difference it can make simply by trying different 6ns7 nos tubes and 5u4c and variant rectifier tubes. For years I had harsh upper mids, partly due to listening to bad recordings, not having any room treatments and less than stellar wires. Nowadays, I lean toward the warm side of neutral. I only want to voice my system based on the preamp tubes that I use. I don’t want to get into mixing and matching different brands of power cords and cables to fix problems. Either the power cords and cables work in unison to present the music properly or they don’t. I realize this can get a bit pricey going with one company’s power cords or cables, but it makes the most sense to me and is a simpler methodology to evaluate. Admittedly, I rely on some reviews in addition to members opinions and experience here. If there’s a question of a speaker, amp, dac etc being described as on the lean side, I will likely avoid it. So I’m wondering what methodologies and practices you’ve employed to dial in your system or is it more flexible and desirable to mix and match.
I don't even start "voicing" a system until I get the room in control and the physical location of the speakers more or less finalized.  I do this knowing that "that final location" will undoubtedly change when all of the cabling and finding the final listening position is done.

Cabling is a cut and try procedure that can take a long time and is individual to the gear it used with.  I have never seen a cable company that can meet the needs of every piece of gear.  No one-size fits all.  I have a design SQ target etched in my brain and whatever cable (or piece of gear for that matter) gets me closer is a keeper until and unless something else sounds better.  When I get something new, I try it on EVERY piece of gear to find the best application.

All of this takes time and lots of $$$.  That is, unless you do the cable lend/loan thing.  There is The Cable Company and others and almost every cable manufacturer offers a full refund 30 day audition time.

Ultimate SQ is a process and most of that process is cut and try.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 10:20:41 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 01:58:48 PM »

Is not this fun Nick? Just kidding. Get's pretty expensive, time consuming, and sometimes frustrating.
One can only do what one can do.

I have a particular philosophy I adhere to.

1. My goal is a perfect audio system. By perfect I mean hearing what is recorded. The result is stunning on
many selections.

2. I don't want power cords, fuses, power transformers, rectifier tubes to affect the musical quality.
Allowing such parts to manipulate the sound does give one variables to deal with, but also degrades
the overall maximum musical quality one is able to obtain. I realize $ can be a limitation for anyone. I
spent gobs of money in R&D, so I understand.

To isolate said parts listed requires robust power supply filtering stages, as well as proper quality and
size values of parts.

3. I do a preliminary of the room acoustics, minimizing huge nodes.

4. I want to mate wires, plugs, jacks, and other parts for minimum interactions and distortion.

5. Once all the components, parts, once the system is accurate, I once again deal with the room acoustics.
Why? Because once the system is accurate, then one can relatively compare how much damage the
components cause VS how much damage the room causes.

What I found was the components, even parts are just as bad as the room in terms of damaging the music,
if not more. How can that be? It has something to do with bandwidth of the mode/frequency abnormality.

A. Many of the nodes created by the room are 1/3 octave or less in bandwidth. According to RANE, those
tend to be not noticed even though several db deep/raised.

B. Although the +/- frequency response deviation of each components are less, the deviations cover the entire
audio band, many many octaves. A slight tweak in the highs affects the deepest bass and visa versa due
to changing all the harmonics vs the fundamental frequencies.

There are also other problems such as spacial characteristics, grunge, inter-modulation distortion, etc.

I would suggest the most Difficult problem to correct in a room are the low frequency modes in a room.
That can take lot of time and efforts to minimize.

That is what I did to obtain excellent musical quality.

With that said, typically I would obtain and keep the best sound quality component "A" and exchange the least
quality component "B" for better, even if "B" component is the most expensive. I have seen over and
over someone who rids the best quality component because they did not want to rid of "B" component that
was more expensive. Not the way to go in the long run.

Cheers

steve

« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 03:39:04 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 07:48:54 PM »
One thing you may find out soon is that a different speaker and especially a different room will have you scratching your head trying to figure out what went wrong.  The room at the house in SC has had me doing that for over two years. If/when the room addition is done there I will have to start the process all over again.

I thought I was moving, but that didn’t happen….it might though at some point. I’m hoping the speakers don’t get lost on the way over. It’s a big ocean. One of these days I’m going to have to dive in to the world of room acoustics 😅
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 07:56:50 PM »
Don't think they'll get lost just won't get in a hurry based on what I was told my another small importer of an Italian brand of speakers.
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 10:25:09 PM »

Is not this fun Nick? Just kidding. Get's pretty expensive, time consuming, and sometimes frustrating.

1. My goal is a perfect audio system. By perfect I mean hearing what is recorded. The result is stunning on
many selections.

2. I don't want power cords, fuses, power transformers, rectifier tubes to affect the musical quality.
Allowing such parts to manipulate the sound does give one variables to deal with, but also degrades
the overall maximum musical quality one is able to obtain. I realize $ can be a limitation for anyone. I

To isolate said parts listed requires robust power supply filtering stages, as well as proper quality and
size values of parts.

4. I want to mate wires, plugs, jacks, and other parts for minimum interactions and distortion.

5. Once all the components, parts, once the system is accurate, I once again deal with the room acoustics.
Why? Because once the system is accurate, then one can relatively compare how much damage the

What I found was the components, even parts are just as bad as the room in terms of damaging the music,
if not more. How can that be? It has something to do with bandwidth of the mode/frequency abnormality.

A. Many of the nodes created by the room are 1/3 octave or less in bandwidth. According to RANE, those

B. Although the +/- frequency response deviation of each components are less, the deviations cover the entire
audio band, many many octaves. A slight tweak in the highs affects the deepest bass and visa versa due

There are also other problems such as spacial characteristics, grunge, inter-modulation distortion, etc.

I would suggest the most Difficult problem to correct in a room are the low frequency modes in a room.

With that said, typically I would obtain and keep the best sound quality component "A" and exchange the least
quality component "B" for better, even if "B" component is the most expensive. I have seen over and
over someone who rids the best quality component because they did not want to rid of "B" component that

Cheers

steve

Hi Steve. Yes, it’s fun, but would even be more fun if I wouldn’t spend as much 💰 💰 on this hobby! Thanks for the detailed response and from your perspective as a designer. As to your comments on components, mine are overall quite synergistic. I do have speakers coming that have the AMT tweeters. I’ve been quite happy withe the Fritz Carreras, but that beryllium tweeter can be harsh at times. Beyond that, I’m curious about another amp although the AVA SET 120 is a wonderful amp for the money.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 10:36:51 PM »
I don't even start "voicing" a system until I get the room in control and the physical location of the speakers more or less finalized.  I do this knowing that "that final location" will undoubtedly change when all of the cabling and finding the final listening position is done.

Cabling is a cut and try procedure that can take a long time and is individual to the gear it used with.  I have never seen a cable company that can meet the needs of every piece of gear.  No one-size fits all.  I have a design SQ target etched in my brain and whatever cable (or piece of gear for that matter) gets me closer is a keeper until and unless something else sounds better.  When I get something new, I try it on EVERY piece of gear to find the best application.

All of this takes time and lots of $$$.  That is, unless you do the cable lend/loan thing.  There is The Cable Company and others and almost every cable manufacturer offers a full refund 30 day audition time.

Ultimate SQ is a process and most of that process is cut and try.

Well, I’ve never tackled room acoustics, but did stumble onto a better position for the speakers recently. That was because I had to move them for house pics when I listed the house for sale. I’d hate to travel down the road of different cables as I really like the Wywires and it cost me a bit to get the full loom. I don’t think I’ve tried borrowing cables from the Cable Company. I rely on comments from select members here and then on AC and lastly on reviews. I have returned equipment on rare occasions that I haven’t liked.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 08:31:17 AM »

many selections.

size values of parts.

Cheers

steve

Hi Steve. Yes, it’s fun, but would even be more fun if I wouldn’t spend as much 💰 💰 on this hobby! Thanks for the detailed response and from your perspective as a designer. As to your comments on components, mine are overall quite synergistic. I do have speakers coming that have the AMT tweeters. I’ve been quite happy withe the Fritz Carreras, but that beryllium tweeter can be harsh at times. Beyond that, I’m curious about another amp although the AVA SET 120 is a wonderful amp for the money.

I also did not care for beryllium. Wow, now your talking with the AMTs. Any chance down the road you might
replace the beryllium with an AMT? That would be an interesting experiment.

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 08:34:08 AM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 05:18:53 PM »

many selections.

size values of parts.

Cheers

steve

I also did not care for beryllium. Wow, now your talking with the AMTs. Any chance down the road you might
replace the beryllium with an AMT? That would be an interesting experiment.

cheers

steve

It’s a long story, but in a month (hopefully) I’ll have replacement drivers for one AMT speaker that was damaged and a different pair also with AMT tweeters. Whichever pair sounds best, I’ll keep and sell the other two. I expect the beryllium tweeter won’t make the cut, but the Carreras are terrific speakers and Fritz is a great guy.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 12:48:42 PM »
"It’s a long story, but in a month (hopefully) I’ll have replacement drivers for one AMT speaker that was damaged and a different pair also with AMT tweeters. Whichever pair sounds best, I’ll keep and sell the other two. I expect the beryllium tweeter won’t make the cut, but the Carreras are terrific speakers and Fritz is a great guy."

Unclutter the string a little.

I don't doubt the Fritz speakers are good. Heard very good things about him and his speakers. I concur and
am anticipating how the "shootout" ends between the AMTs, and vs berylliums.

Inquiring minds want to know your results.   :D

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 12:50:57 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 06:14:08 PM »
Based on my experience with two of the speakers Nick is dealing  with the AMT's will win out.  At least they did for me. Haven't personally heard the third pair but the dealer/former US distributor who most would be familiar with says the newer larger AMT in the third speaker makes it the winner. Nick will get the chance to find out.
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 09:54:41 PM »
Well, this has been going on for a while trying to get the 7” replacement drivers. They’re hopefully on a steamship somewhere in the Atlantic. I’m going to have to find someone in so. Utah or Vegas to do the soldering. I don’t want to mess with it and want excellent quality solder used. I’ve read very good things about the AMT tweeters. I might have been moving too and that would’ve complicated things a bit more.

I will advise how it all turns out.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2022, 03:01:46 PM »
Based on my experience with two of the speakers Nick is dealing  with the AMT's will win out.  At least they did for me. Haven't personally heard the third pair but the dealer/former US distributor who most would be familiar with says the newer larger AMT in the third speaker makes it the winner. Nick will get the chance to find out.

I do love the sound of an AMT tweeter- the fullness/sweetness of a soft dome with just more of everything- I guess those folds do something special- they certainly play loudly without strain. Yes- I’m guilty of wanting a speaker that crosses the 100 db barrier without a hint of strain.
My Legacy Focus SE AMT’s had the best high end in my opinion, but the bass overwhelmed my room. In the right room, I’d get them again in a heartbeat.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2022, 05:27:09 PM »

I do love the sound of an AMT tweeter- the fullness/sweetness of a soft dome with just more of everything- I guess those folds do something special- they certainly play loudly without strain. Yes- I’m guilty of wanting a speaker that crosses the 100 db barrier without a hint of strain.
My Legacy Focus SE AMT’s had the best high end in my opinion, but the bass overwhelmed my room. In the right room, I’d get them again in a heartbeat.

I guess I’m in for quite a treat with the AMT. I do crank it up, so playing without strain yet revealing detail and having the tonal character you describe seems just perfect. As to Legacy, I sure respect Bill Duddleston and his designs. Years ago I tried one of his speakers end it didn’t work out. Had to send it back and used FedEx who promptly trashed one of the speakers. FedEx ended up paying and Bill was able to refinish the beautiful wood. He was justifiably a bit ticked off, but I was able to handle it and get it paid quickly.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS