Author Topic: AudioNervosa is raffling a new Slim Duet  (Read 49694 times)

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
Re: AudioNervosa is raffling a new Slim Duet
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »
Perhaps it's a question of the appropriateness of a business model that: sets a release date, continues to blow by it, and thinks that consumers should feel 100% comfortable with that business model / the product when it finally does release. The implied manufacturer's care and thoughtfulness in its product, or lack thereof, may be reflected in the above model.

Or perhaps an analogy might work: the Space Shuttle reportedly had all the bugs worked out of it until it first blew up, and then melted a different time. I know, the Duet's not space travel, nor has the Duet landed.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2008, 07:17:52 PM »
I suspect if it was still just Slim and not Logitech owning Slim, it wouldn't have things in the field quite yet.  This is purely speculation on my part.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2008, 07:41:02 PM »
Todays nightly is working good after being setup by someone with a brain (not me). Slim is making it happen. The delay should not be too long.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2008, 07:42:21 PM »
Good to hear.  I'm sure they're working hard on it - just get a little out in front of themselves.  I really want to see this work. 

Bryan

mgalusha

« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2008, 07:52:21 AM »
When it comes to getting a build of software out, the powers that be will always say ship it, even though the developers know there are problems and beg for more time. It doesn't matter if it's super mega giant MS or a small shop with 15 employees. For the executives it's all about the perception of being first to market and or meeting the promise they made a customer. I've worked in both large and small software shops and it's the same regardless. I'm pretty sure any developer or development manager will say the same.

Just my $.02  :duh

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2008, 03:29:06 PM »
I agree Mike, Logitech didn't buy slim because they think SB is cool. They said "Make a Sonos killer at priceX ready to ship in one year." Sean said "okiedokie where's my money?"  so now that year has come and gone, and they have shipped (something) on time, and it is great (in concept.) But it is totally reliant on software and bugs are to be expected in such a big step forward. Compared to beta versions only 2 months ago it has come a LONG long way already. It will be a busy buggy springtime, but then a very busy sales year.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2008, 07:29:47 AM »
Just to bring this to closure - according to FedEx, Bill's new toy was delivered today.  Since this thread is locked, I'll assume he'll post his impressions in a new thread.

Congrats again Bill.

Bryan