Author Topic: Triode Wire Labs at AXPONA-Chicago  (Read 14390 times)

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: Triode Wire Labs at AXPONA-Chicago
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 09:38:18 AM »
Hi Pete

How did you come up with the Yamaha, Peachtree and even the Quicksilver monoblocks to pair with the Volti speakers etc? How did the system come together?

Your cables cost more than the Yamaha and Peachtree. Also the Quicksilver monoblocks are a fraction of the cost of Volti Audio speakers. From looking at other shows it always looks like most dealers and manufacturers keep the $$ amount of gear about the same.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad you have a set-up like this. It shows to people one can have gear at varying price points together producing good sound.

I still need to get past having cables cost more than gear.

Thanks

Hey Sleepy,
It was Greg Roberts (from Volti Audio) idea to assemble and demonstrate how great speakers & cables can provide top notch hi-fidelity sound from reasonably priced components.
Greg hand-selected the amps, preamp & SACD/CD player. I simply suggested what I've experienced in the past from reputable audio dealers to spend about 10% of your audio budget on real good cabling... Hence, 10% of a $25K total system cost ended-up being my cables, which included four power cables, a set of speaker cables and two sets of interconnect cables... Of course, in the real world, I would offer a "bundled" cable pricing package, which would lower the cost even more...

If you really want an "ear-opening" experience, try substituting the TWL cable loom utilizing the above gear (amps, CD player & preamp) with the included "stock" cords as well as "stock" interconnects and some reasonably priced lamp cord (speaker wire) from Home Depot.

It will not be a subtle difference... more a major difference in SQ. Perhaps then you can consider all the cabling as a vital "component".

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 06:46:49 AM »
Hey Pete, am I correct in assuming there are two sets of interconnects, four pc and a set of sc. Which pc and how long sc?
Does have a lot to do with the price stated.
Really hope to hear the Spirits some time.

Don

Hey Don,
Just noticed your post & question...
Yes, two sets of "Spirit" IC's, two "Eight Plus", one "Ten Plus" and one "Twelve Plus" along with standard speaker cables with the Cardas, "top of the line" bananas (CAB)... Add it up & it's ~ $2493...

Cables subject to change, maybe with a few surprises, as well as the possibility of introducing a PI Audio UberBUSS, to clean-up that nasty hotel power...  :thumb:

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 06:56:25 AM »
.....as well as the possibility of introducing a PI Audio UberBUSS, to clean-up that nasty hotel power...  :thumb:

That is an excellent idea.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 08:07:49 AM »
Hi Pete. Thanks for clarifying how the system came together. It didn't hit me that the $2500 for cabling was 10% of the budget. I normally follow that rule with a little tweak. I do 10% of what I paid for my gear which is where I came up with my budget. Also thanks everybody who chimed into my question about cables. I need to open up my mind and get past the mental blocks I have about cables.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 07:24:58 PM »
its sort of like the diamond market...if you understand how that works

whatever the market will bear :thumb:
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 06:54:56 AM »
  Pete if you can bring a couple of Uberbusses. Made a huge difference when we used them at Capitol Audiofest.
   Using one exclusively for digital was key as you remember. An isolation transformer in front of Uber for digital will further improve the presentation as Dave recommended.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.