Author Topic: 2012 Capitol Audiofest  (Read 44108 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Re: 2012 Capitol Audiofest
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2012, 12:40:12 PM »
Looks like a commercial coffee maker, or office water cooler to me!    :shock:

Ha

i was thinking a bread maker.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline machinehead

• Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2012, 12:57:11 PM »
imnsho... that Gallo sub blows... he's got to dump it. Its made of plastic for Jebuses sake!

Actually, they're all metal, and they were redesigned not too long ago, with different internal amplifiers, so they're faster and more powerful than before.
Ok.. I must have seen the previous version. It was just a very odd pairing with such nice speakers.
M
Its cool ndude.

Offline machinehead

« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2012, 01:45:53 PM »
BArry,
 I didn't mean offense. I pinch your cheeks lovingly...

(not the ones on your face)
but yet i manage this in the non gayest way possible.
Me
Its cool ndude.

Offline machinehead

« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2012, 01:50:25 PM »
Bill Thanks for all the photos. How did the floor standing Devores sound?
M
Its cool ndude.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2012, 01:57:15 PM »
Bill Thanks for all the photos. How did the floor standing Devores sound?
M

You're welcome! :thumb:

I only heard the "Orangutangs" with the really nice wood faces in the Devore room.  They sounded real good.  I think they were running through the LM Audio integrated they had on at the time.  Not inexpensive (not sure...$8K+ a pair?) by any means, but very nice.

SN
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 02:03:14 PM by StereoNut »
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2012, 02:01:32 PM »
No worries Mikey, You know I love you aa (no homo), just wanted clarity.
IIRC you're talking about the sub I'd brought to Joe and Evan's rave some time ago, and that model, the TR-2, is no longer made. The new subs are the TR-1D and TR-3D
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2012, 06:57:30 PM »
Bill....

Besides Pete and Charles' room (Swap Meet Audio)....
....what rooms did you enjoy ?

Aside from room 347, there were quite a few other rooms that had gear that I thought sounded real good.

• Tidal "Piano Diacera" Speakers ($58K/pair) and Audio Power Labs Monoblocks ($178K/pair) - Great sound, but "stupid" expensive!  (I rather buy my summer beach bungalow somewhere for that kinda dough!)
  • Devore "Orangutangs" - Beautiful to look at & listen to, but not $$$ cheap!  (At least for my budget!)
  • Joseph Audio "Perspective" (I think?) - Kinda strange... one day they were great, another not so much!?!
  • Classic Audio T-3.4's & AtmaSphere Amps - Wonderfully sculptured speakers.  Dynamic, yet sensuous music.
  • Daedalus "Athena" (I think?) & Carver Amps - Exquisite woodwork, great tone and plenty of tube power.

Personal favorites

• Swap Meet Audio "Lenahan S2R monitors" - The more I listened to other speakers at the show, the more I realized what a value the Lenahans are at $3450.00.  Miracle Audio sub system was a great addition to them, but it almost doubled the overall cost.
  • Oasis - Their floor-standers sounded great. Very unique! My winner for the most unusual design award!
  • Soundfield Audio "Overtures" - Great range, very dynamic and well balanced overall. Worth saving up your $$$ for!
  • GT Audio Works "GTA-2's" - Ribbon/planar/dynamic driver "hybrid" towers (with separate sub-woof cabinets for each side) that sounded real, real nice. Very well integrated, with cohesive sound top to bottom. Nice cabinet work, clean lines and a "no-brainer" price of $2995.00.  My winner for the "Biggest Bang for the Buck" award!
  • Conn Church Organ Pipes with Bogen amps - Room filling sound. A huge soundstage isn't enough to describe what you're hearing here.  It's more like a Phil Spector-like "Wall of Sound" !!! My winner for the "Most Creative in Audio Repurposing" award!

Thanks for "listening" to my opinions.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:05:05 PM by StereoNut »

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

lonewolfny42

« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Looks like a commercial coffee maker, or office water cooler to me!    :shock:

John...
See...prefect for the kitchen or office system.... :rofl:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2012, 08:43:36 PM »
GT Audio Works "GTA-2's" - Ribbon/planar/dynamic driver "hybrid" towers (with separate sub-woof cabinets for each side) that sounded real, real nice. Very well integrated, with cohesive sound top to bottom. Nice cabinet work, clean lines and a "no-brainer" price of $2995.00.  My winner for the "Biggest Bang for the Buck" award!

Many at RMAF 2011 thought the same..... :thumb:

Thanks for your comments Bill.... :beer:

Offline bhobba

« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2012, 04:28:16 AM »

+1.  Very enjoyable and informative read.

Thanks
Bill

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2012, 05:32:37 AM »

+1.  Very enjoyable and informative read.

Thanks
Bill

Thanks, everyone!  Not bad for the common man's "audiofool", who didn't take very many notes! ;)

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2012, 05:35:19 AM »
  • Devore "Orangutangs" - Beautiful to look at & listen to, but not $$$ cheap!  (At least for my budget!)
  • GT Audio Works "GTA-2's" - Ribbon/planar/dynamic driver "hybrid" towers (with separate sub-woof cabinets for each side) that sounded real, real nice. Very well integrated, with cohesive sound top to bottom. Nice cabinet work, clean lines and a "no-brainer" price of $2995.00.  My winner for the "Biggest Bang for the Buck" award!

Funny, when the Orangutangs were first being introduced a few of us went over to Devore's office/shop in the Brooklyn navy yard. Apparently John has (more or less) a standing Friday night party for anyone to show up and hang out, or so it seemed. Anyway, he paired these with what must have been an old under powered crappy amp and left us alone. The sound was pretty bad, but he wouldn't switch out the amp or the speaker. Based on what I heard that night I couldn't understand $2K for these speakers, let alone $12K. But further reviews seem to love them. I guess I would have to hear them again under better conditions.

The GT Audio works were loved by most everyone I spoke to at the NYC show this spring. Same for RMAF and a lot of people seem to like them a lot from Cap Fest postings. But the reviewers don't seem to want to talk about them. JA says they need more work yet and "had promise". Perhaps because it is a one man shop with no distribution? Perhaps because they shame other more costly stuff that advertizes in the rags? Seems a disservice to the man making them when the "regular people" like them so much.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2012, 06:53:18 AM »
Based on the Rave report I was expecting the Orangutans to suck, but I was very surprised how good they sounded. The Shindo amp is not very powerful, but drove them well.  Me and Henry were the only people in there, but the designer never even looked at me. Very different vibe than Swap Meet!

Offline machinehead

« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2012, 07:29:25 AM »
I read on Stereophile that the turnout was really low... like 500 people at the event. Too bad, but good for the people that did go.. quieter and more time to listen.
Its cool ndude.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2012, 07:53:18 AM »
Based on the Rave report I was expecting the Orangutans to suck, but I was very surprised how good they sounded. The Shindo amp is not very powerful, but drove them well.  Me and Henry were the only people in there, but the designer never even looked at me. Very different vibe than Swap Meet!

Of course the vibe was very different in the S.M.A. Room... I was there!!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L