Author Topic: 2012 Capitol Audiofest  (Read 45019 times)

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Re: 2012 Capitol Audiofest
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 08:29:08 AM »

Anyone have photos of the Swap Meet Audio room?
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 08:40:06 AM »
I'm glad Rollo and Pete had a good showing. I hope the show generates some sales for them!

Hey Rich, how did the Daedalus Athenas sound? Interested in your thoughts and any others who might have heard them.

Thanks,
Joe
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 09:13:30 AM »
Joe, they sounded very good. I would give them my 2nd or 3rd best behind the accutons and Listeners Voice (Border Patrol)

The Daedalus had a full sound, natural, engaging, nothing distracting. The only criticism was a slight disconnection between frequency ranges, maybe it was uneven power response, maybe phase issue between tweeter/mid, I don't know exactly, but it didn't have that extremely natural "live sound" like full range drivers, 1st order speakers, panels, etc. But it was open and clear sounding top to bottom, balanced EQ. It sounded too alive to have 4th order crossovers, but if he took the time to align them perfectly to sound that good then that could be the cause of the disconnection, due to too much phase twist through crossings.  I liked them. I liked the bigger ones I heard RMAF 07 even better, but they weren't as clear and resolving as these. He said they have improved immensely since then. I thanked him for making the big trip from WA.

I have to shrink the pics then I'll post within hour.

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 09:18:38 AM »
Thanks, looking forward to see the pictures.
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Pics:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 10:08:36 AM »
more

Offline richidoo

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 10:11:23 AM »
more

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 10:13:42 AM »
more

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 10:14:43 AM »
95, 96, 97 are from the Swap Meet Audio room.

DeVore Orangutans sounded nice with Shindo amp. Tweeter too low for me, but nice tone, nice speedy punchy sound.

88-91 is Border Patrol. 300B amps in several flavors, SET, SEPP, PP, with single or dual external power supplies. All the 300B beauty without the flabby bass or ringy upper mids. Piano and violin sounded breathtakingly beautiful. I didn't get to play anything bigger, as a crowd piled in. They make 12-20W. I only heard the 12W SET with one tube per side. When I arrived Moonlight Sonata was playing, and the accommodating gentleman who was listening offered to pluck it so the vendor could put on something more popular. Even the vendor said do you want to play something that's like this...? I said nonono this is what I would put on myself. So we all enjoyed a little Beethoven oasis. Finding fellow chamber music lovers is a rarity at the shows. Last year I was part of a hotel lobby all night conversation with a bunch of guys including the Border Patrol designer. He is a very bright guy. If I had speakers that would do them justice and the qwan I'd be all over these amps.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:32:00 AM by richidoo »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 10:39:32 AM »
I was gonna walk right past Philharmonic Audio based on what I heard at CAF last year from them and Salk using true midfi electronics.  But my son was curious to see everything, and when he got close to the door he heard Star Wars music playing in there so he dragged me in. Of course the guy pulled out the Star Wars as soon as we sat down...  I was pretty impressed with the Philharmonic/AVA combo. Better than any Salk speaker I have ever heard, but 8" bass driver was a touch too loud and warm, even in the very big room. A man after my own heart, too much port! At least Dennis Murphy did it deliberately, I can't figure out how to make it quieter!

AVA sounded smoother and more high end than I've ever heard before. Must be the aftermarket powercords that his new IEC inlets allow.  :rofl: Just kidding!!  Congrats to Frank for the big leap forward with the new products. DAC, pre and power amp.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 12:49:54 PM »
Swap Meet Audio was the funnest room by far.

They had beer....right ? :lol: :beer:

Thanks for the photos Rich.... :thumb:

Did you meet up with Scott or Doug ?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:55:13 PM by lonewolfny42 »

lonewolfny42

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 12:54:08 PM »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »
Swap Meet Audio was the funnest room by far.

They had beer....right ? :lol: :beer:

Did you meet up with Scott or Doug ?

Yes, very hospitable. My son had 2 sodas, a year's ration!

I saw Scott but not Doug. Scott has started a new dealership of his own!

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »
This was my first visit to the Capital Audiofest.  Before I post any pix (which will come in batches) I want to thank Charles, Pete and Mark for allowing me to be part of this and "tag along".  (Special thanks go to Pete and his brother-in-law George for giving me a ride to and from the show.)

In general, the show was smaller and less crowded than the NYC shows I've been to in past years, but at the same time it was nice not to have to "muscle" your way through the hallways all day long.  Better A.C. in parts of the hotel would've been greatly appreciated, though.

The Swap Meet Audio room (not that I'm biased or anything) really was a lot of fun!  A visit to room 347 was proof that you don't always have to be serious to still be a serious audiophile and get the chance to listen to a lot of great music. 

Here are some of the photos, in no particular order...
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!