Author Topic: Capitol Audiofest  (Read 25664 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Capitol Audiofest
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 06:49:45 AM »
1 final point - the Audio Note speakers were very nice, I couldn't believe the sound coming from relatively small boxes, though the Xovers were in seperate boxes, I think the guy said the xover box has 18lbs of copper in each, but I may have mis-heard.

Have the multi-colored MacIntosh brochure sitting here on my desk, that may be a mistake. I tried to get the rep to power up the tubed amp, but he said only at closing time - it made the room look 'messy'.

What the Hell does that mean??? :duh
it means he was a Dick  :rofl: i was in the room early in the day and he asked me if i had ever heard of MacIntosh before  :duh
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline Bunky

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 07:25:39 AM »
i was steered to the Volti Room by Gary Dew of Border Patrol.the Border Patrol amp in the Volti room was a Dual mono 300B parallel SET making 18WPC. this was my 1st audio show ever and i had never heard horn speakers before. I really liked the Volti ,Classic Audio and DejaVu rooms and the guy who drove for 50 hrs up from Tampa with his Soundfield Acoustics prototype open baffle speakers was sounding really good too, Gary Dew lives in Waldorf Md and is a electrical engineer and told me that he and his wife are both British. he met his wife who had lived in the US for ten years here, married her and moved back to England and he told me after two years of living there she could not stand the bad weather in the UK anymore so they decided to move back to the states. he also mods stereo equipment and i may have him do work for me in the future.
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »
Bunky, he is a very smart, very high vibration person. I would be proud to have his work in my system. You picked some nice horn speakers to hear for your first horn audition!! They might be the best I've ever heard. They can be a LOT worse! Sorry we didn't meet up William. Hopefully next time.

A highlight of the trip for me was meeting topround, jbtrio, Karl and Jim. We only had a few minutes to hang out before they left, but it was fun. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys at an upcoming Rave!

The AudioNotes on demo had 8 pound external crossovers, but there is a top of the line version of that speaker available with 18 pound external crossovers. They sounded sweet but tame with the Audio Note 50W 211 amp. Classic British sound, done to perfection.

Good to be home!

evan1

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 12:56:23 PM »
How about thoughts on the Philharmonic speakers ?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 01:49:05 PM »
I liked the Philharmonics. The Neo drivers always sound sweet and detailed, but also that sweetness hides more of the faults that the accuton reveal. The Phils were musical and balanced overall, and more listenable than the Salks in the CAF demo. If the rest of the system was as resolving as the Salks I believe they might inch ahead of the Philharmonics, but for most people the Philharmonics would be more enjoyable because they don't require as refined amplification as the Salks require.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 04:57:58 PM »
after going to the CAF show and then coming home to my livingroom rig with the Silverline Sonata III's,Modded EE DAC and the 6C33-B SET integrated i am happy to say that my rig still sounds great after a comparison from memory with the majority of the rigs at the show  :drool: on a whim i called Frank Dai at Signal Cable a few weeks ago and ordered a 3' pair of his Reference Silver Resolution ic's and a 6' pair of his Reference Silver Resolution bi wire speaker cables. they use several strands of both silver and copper wire in teflon and work extremely well in my system and they did not cost a fortune either :thumb:
-- Frank Zappa

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 06:30:09 PM »
1 final point - the Audio Note speakers were very nice, I couldn't believe the sound coming from relatively small boxes, though the Xovers were in seperate boxes, I think the guy said the xover box has 18lbs of copper in each, but I may have mis-heard.

Have the multi-colored MacIntosh brochure sitting here on my desk, that may be a mistake. I tried to get the rep to power up the tubed amp, but he said only at closing time - it made the room look 'messy'.

What the Hell does that mean??? :duh

Maybe this was rep speak for they would show up the SS stuff he was trying to push????
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 06:32:20 PM »
I picked up my new used TT from a local audiophile. Looking forward to getting it home to see how it sounds.

OK Rich - spill the beans, what kind of TT did you pick up?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2011, 08:01:31 PM »
Clearaudio Concept with Maestro Wood cart. Should be a step up from what I have now. Got a super nice deal on it.

Special thanks to shek for the vinyl!

Speaking of vinyl, a couple weeks ago Gene was playing Milestones, and I commented that I want to get another copy of that on vinyl. There was a guy selling one in the audio fest flea market this morning, $7. I had it in my hand, but I didn't get it. Too much for a used LP full of noise. I'm not spending big money on records.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 06:18:40 AM »
Hey Rich - do you steam your used vinyl? Bill was here prior to our going to CAF, he brought his steamer. I pulled out a Stanley Turrentine/Shirley Scott album I bought in Chicago last month - used - for $25. I really like it, but even after treating it on the 16.5 rcm, it was still noisy.

Bill steam cleaned it, then back through the 16.5, SILENT!!!

I ordered my steamer last night.

PS - Was hoping to bump into you at CAF, even had my tan AN tee on to help, sorry we couldn't connect.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 06:41:22 AM »
Thanks Gene, no I haven't tried steaming yet, but I want to. I think I have improved my wet cleaning ritual as good as it can get, but some records still have noise.

Sorry to miss you at CAF too. Next year we'll have to make a special time/place for ANers to meet up, since it is pretty central to many members.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2011, 06:04:36 PM »
Ok, since I am likely in the market for new speakers if the LS6 sell.  I was reading the CAF stuff on audio circle and was reading the good comments about the speakers from the guy in Florida.

Anyone have additional information on those.  Looking at the bookshelf provided they can handle the large basement area.

http://soundfieldaudio.net/Products.html

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2011, 06:42:41 PM »
Deepak,
Tell us your budget and you will get TONS of advice :rofl:
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

djdube525

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2011, 07:05:44 PM »
Ok, since I am likely in the market for new speakers if the LS6 sell.

I think you need something from Selah Audio... How about:
http://www.selahaudio.com/id237.html
http://www.selahaudio.com/id241.html

A shameless plug for a local speaker builder... Besides wanting to migrate NJ $$$ into the NC economy, Rick's a nice guy who makes some really nice speakers.

Dave

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2011, 07:21:07 PM »
Deepak,
Tell us your budget and you will get TONS of advice :rofl:

It all depends on the LS6 sale.  For now like to keep it around 2k or so.  Preference is to purchase used speakers which I think has better value :)