Author Topic: EMI from CFL audio file...  (Read 7043 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
EMI from CFL audio file...
« on: August 06, 2019, 11:57:59 AM »
I'm breaking in a pair of Eminence Redcoat musical instrument speakers for a bandmate.  The method I have used for years uses a Variac with the speakers facing each other wired out of electrical phase.  Just for sport I did a quick audio recording with my iPhone of the resultant noise created of the AC audio with and without a SYLVANIA 100-Watt EQ A19 Natural Daylight Light Fixture CFL Light Bulb in circuit.

What you will hear is the noise with the CFL in circuit for about 14 seconds, then without for about 12 seconds, then with and lastly without.

Very telling.  If you have CFLs in your home sound quality will be much better with all of the CFL bulbs and tubes turned off.

Let's the conversation begin...

https://soundcloud.com/user-592693109/sets/cfl-noise-imprint-on-ac
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:13:02 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: EMI from CFL audio file...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 01:27:04 PM »
Dave,
Did you try it with the new LED style lighting at some point?  That might be interesting as well.

Rich

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 05:04:32 PM »
  Wow tha'ts noisy. Cool demo Dave. You Bees right none in my home. Bought a ton before change. Rat dogs.  :duh

charles
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 05:07:58 PM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 08:42:53 PM »
Dave,
Did you try it with the new LED style lighting at some point?  That might be interesting as well.

Rich
Not yet, Rich.  Those are on my list.  I would imagine the small SMPS in each of them can’t be good.  I’ll put the files into a software O-scope, too.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 08:43:49 PM »
  Wow tha'ts noisy. Cool demo Dave. You Bees right none in my home. Bought a ton before change. Rat dogs.  :duh

charles
Good on ya, mate!

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 04:11:16 AM »
I’m a big believer in little things for better sound... CFL’s are on the list, along with dimmer switches, auto-on night lights, and USB chargers. I had an AM radio near a USB charger, and the airborne noise within 5 feet was unbelievable.
Another cheap (13.00) tweak was putting caps over unused RCA jacks. Use shorting ones for inputs, and just caps for outputs. Supposedly cuts down on stray RFI getting into the system. Even if it doesn’t, the jacks stay nice and shiny and dust free.
Thanks for the audio demo.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple !
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 05:22:25 AM »
I’m a big believer in little things for better sound... CFL’s are on the list, along with dimmer switches, auto-on night lights, and USB chargers. I had an AM radio near a USB charger, and the airborne noise within 5 feet was unbelievable.
Another cheap (13.00) tweak was putting caps over unused RCA jacks. Use shorting ones for inputs, and just caps for outputs. Supposedly cuts down on stray RFI getting into the system. Even if it doesn’t, the jacks stay nice and shiny and dust free.
Thanks for the audio demo.

Hi James.
I agree 100% with you.

Guy 13
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 06:15:04 AM »
  You can actually take the RCA covers to another level. Check out Swiss Cables Silent Plugs. Using them eliminates resonance as well. Yes I am a dealer of such. www.swisscables.com

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 07:18:48 PM »
Lat year, I converted all the bulbs in my house to 6000K LED's. I hate yellow light plus I feel white light that's as close as possible to 6500K is both healthier and makes me feel happier & more alive mentally. Now if it benefits my audio/video system, I'd call that a win-win!

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners