Systemic Development > Multiple Personality Disorders

Moving from 7.1 to 5.1

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bob in St. Louis:
Yes, that is a pretty neat website indeed...and you're very welcome.
I'll take those speakers off your hands Carl. They'll just clutter up your closet otherwise.

And like you mentioned in your first post, the fact that so many 7.1 DVDs have those extra couple channels as a gimmick. You'd be spending a lot of money on speakers for those couple movies that really interest you, that it's not worth it.

Bob

Rob S.:
Carl and gang,
      Good topic that I know little about....  7.1 was briefly in my little brain a while ago and I wondered how much better it really was.   I'm thinking I'll just stick with the 5.1 also, I don't know that I would really care much about the additional processing of the rear channels,  and don't think it would lessen my video experience with 5.1.  Wife and kids like the basic setup.

Rob S.

Carlman:
I can't actually figure out why it exists at the 'regular' consumer level. 

I understand it provides a 'more' immersive experience but I think that's pretty tough to quantify in a properly setup dedicated room.  I'm guessing if you A/B'd 5 to 7 with everything being equal and the setups optimized, in a fairly large room, I could see 7 being better.  Maybe that's it.. 7.1 is for very large HT rooms... like 23' x 35' and that sort of thing.. but not for me in a 15 x 27. 

So, why 7 channels exists on receivers is because they can and because more is better.  Further add to that 1% of DVD's have 7 channels on the disc, and that seals it, just a marketing gimmick.  But, I do understand the need to have it, big rooms where you change the surround processor to simulate rears into 2 more speakers..  But I don't think a receiver would be enough power in an application where 7 channels were really needed...

That's what I think.. mystery solved! Glad I learned about it but happy to move on.

-C

Bob in St. Louis:

--- Quote from: Carlman on October 25, 2009, 08:15:23 AM ---I can't actually figure out why it exists at the 'regular' consumer level. 
--- End quote ---
Carl, Carl, Carl.....  :duh
My friend, we need to have a talk.
You haven't properly experienced a true surround system until you've heard the latest, greatest, biggest, meanest, baddest, plasticiest, fastest, mostest 1,000 watt 9.1 surround system. My company happens to be having a sale on these as we speak. While you're sitting at your PC typing of your disdain regarding these fine pieces of electronic artwork, your neighbor has just hooked up his new Bowfunct 9000 EXT-XLR system that he received from yours truly just moments ago. It has the newest XL9.100 digital audio processing chip, along with the Tri-Power-Avalanche Video Z-6600 video upconverting intergalactic bam circuitry as well as the newest special patent pending BaDaz-uber subwoofer NocUm-ded!1.6z technology. As far as the cost....It's MUCH less than you'd think. Plus, the main audio processing unit, video processing unit, Multi-Shiny disc unit, and amplification console weighs a mere 0.7 pounds TOTAL!!!!

You sir, have obviously become complacent with your existing "meager state of technological affairs" and haven't allowed yourself to experience the latest offerings available to you. Just think of the joy you could bring yourself and your family by calling me NOW.

I hope I've been able to help. Operators are standing by. Please call 1-800-HRT-EARS.

Bob - Your personal customer service representative.

p.s. Actually, I think 7.1 has it's place....But not in 99% of residential homes. I just happen to be on my second beer and though that would be fun.

opnly bafld:
Let me start off by saying I couldn't care less about surround sound, if a movie is not worth watching in a 1.1 system IMHO 10,000 channels will not make it a "better" movie.

I have heard 7.1 in a 12' x 17' ? room and the difference from 5.1 was not subtle.

My understanding may be flawed, but as I understand it even if the movie is 5.1 the processor steers the side/rear sound much like the l/r/center with DPL (if you have a 5.1 only processor you can use an old Dolby Pro logic receiver in "3 stereo" mode to steer the surround channels for 6.1).
With 5.1 the "surround" sound is (in setups I've heard) either mostly to the sides OR behind you depending on where the rear speakers are placed, whereas with 7.1 if the surround information is "stereo" it will go to the side speakers, but if is "mono" it will be sent to the speaker(s) behind you.
Movies that are true 7.1 will have a dedicated 2 channel (or mono/6.1) signal in back also.

FWIW,
Lin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version