Systemic Development > Multiple Personality Disorders

Moving from 7.1 to 5.1

<< < (3/3)

tmazz:
Here is a question, I realize that not much 7.1 material is available on DVD, but does the introduction of more and more movies on Blue-ray change the balance of how much software is available in 7.1? I really don't follow high end video that much, so I was just wondering if anyone had a handle on this?

Bob in St. Louis:
Well....I'm not sure anybody has a handle on what the movie industry has planned, but if there was ever a format that was best suited to 7.1 playback, I'd say it was the "Blue". What I mean by that, is that it seems the DVD has run it's course and they aren't looking to make it any "fancier" than it currently is. The BR is the next logical step for the movie/recording industry to expand into the eight or more channel releases.

Did you catch the link I provided a few posts ago?

Bob

Barry (NJ):
I know this thread is an antique, but I recently added 2 more surround channels to my system and I found the change rather significant and positive. With the proliferation of Blu-Ray and more advanced Surround Codecs, 7.1 is now pretty common. If you have the space to lay them out properly, the additional speakers can/do increase the envelopment aspect of the surround sound experience. The speakers that I recently added are to the sides of the couch, indicated by the [?]s...

media_room by Barry, on Flickr

Atmos is next on my radar, but I'll need a new player and processor for that, so it'll be a bit...

Nick B:

--- Quote from: Barry (NJ) on August 15, 2019, 09:23:55 AM ---I know this thread is an antique, but I recently added 2 more surround channels to my system and I found the change rather significant and positive. With the proliferation of Blu-Ray and more advanced Surround Codecs, 7.1 is now pretty common. If you have the space to lay them out properly, the additional speakers can/do increase the envelopment aspect of the surround sound experience. The speakers that I recently added are to the sides of the couch, indicated by the [?]s...

media_room by Barry, on Flickr

Atmos is next on my radar, but I'll need a new player and processor for that, so it'll be a bit...

--- End quote ---

Barry, Very nice.... I’ve never experimented with a 5.1 or 7.1. Too many wires, etc!  Have heard some setups that way, but many are underwhelming. Pls keep us posted
Nick

Barry (NJ):

--- Quote from: Nick B on August 15, 2019, 11:35:33 AM ---Barry, Very nice.... I’ve never experimented with a 5.1 or 7.1. Too many wires, etc!  Have heard some setups that way, but many are underwhelming. Pls keep us posted
Nick

--- End quote ---

Thanks Nick. My surround set up is for primarily for movies, as I explained elsewhere, though I do have Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" in multi-channel SACD that plays in my Oppo BDP-83 from time to time. However, my 2-channel rig images well enough to throw sounds into every corner of my room and beyond. With a proper recording, the walls of my room melt away :wink:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version