Author Topic: speaker cables  (Read 28309 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
speaker cables
« on: November 10, 2013, 11:36:27 AM »
I am using MIT 750 music hose. I call the Cable Co. and the guy says that just about any newer cable will best my current cable. Do you think this is just "salesmanship" or do you think he is right? I am considering Tara Labs 1500 cable.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Scottdazzle

• Seeking Help
Re: speaker cables
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 01:36:12 PM »
Lots of great cables out there these days.  Why not consider an independent high-end American cable manufacturer like WyWires, Triode Wire, or Snake River?  You might get a LOT better bang for your buck. Disclosure: I sell WyWires.
Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA
email: vivahifi@gmail.com
Retired

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »
Lots of great cables out there these days.  Why not consider an independent high-end American cable manufacturer like WyWires, Triode Wire, or Snake River?  You might get a LOT better bang for your buck. Disclosure: I sell WyWires.

DAh I love the disclosure. I don't have my heart set on any wires in particular. I only mention Tara Labs because they were in my price range. I am open to other manufacturer's including Petes.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 02:41:50 PM »
I don't doubt that there are very good cables made today that could better your current cables (your system, your ears), but I don't buy into the statement that just about any new cable will best your current cable.  That's total sales hype.

With that said, the Cable Company's lending library is an an interesting business if your prone to trying a number of different cables.  It's how I first heard JPS cables many years ago.

DaveC

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »
It depends on what you want... better is often a subjective term and depends on your personal preferences.

Ultimately, you will probably have to try different cables out. You can try to select them by reading reviews so you can get an idea of the characteristics of the cables you are considering and whether you think they will be a good fit for you.

One caveat though... there's a lot of cable companies claiming to use "single crystal" copper with ridiculous claims of ultra high purity (8N copper?).  AFAIK, only Neotech, Furutech and Oyaide are licensed to produce UPOCC copper and there are unlicensed companies claiming to sell "single crystal" copper and claim to use the patented process to produce it.

And if you do choose a UPOCC copper cable there is one sonic caveat too, it's not as warm and doesn't have the "weight and body" of regular drawn copper wire. But the "weight and body" are distortion and when you get rid of it you end up with more clarity, detail, focus and better dynamics. I'm all for more accuracy personally but some people may not prefer it.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 07:05:31 AM »
I agree that the only way you will know for sure is to try a few different ones and see how it works in your system. Borrow from friends if you can at first, then check out the manufacturers who offer trials. Some of the local clubs have members who have an inventory of used cables lying around, and that may be a way to get something at a nice discount also.

Try a few and something will likely click in your system.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 07:47:21 AM »
Jim I have a bunch to try if ya like. TWL, Supra, Stealth [silver], Mapleshade active, Lenehan, Daves.
   Some used some new.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 08:45:18 AM »
I agree that the only way you will know for sure is to try a few different ones and see how it works in your system. Borrow from friends if you can at first, then check out the manufacturers who offer trials. Some of the local clubs have members who have an inventory of used cables lying around, and that may be a way to get something at a nice discount also.

Try a few and something will likely click in your system.

+1 :thumb:
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 05:50:36 PM »
Jim I have a bunch to try if ya like. TWL, Supra, Stealth [silver], Mapleshade active, Lenehan, Daves.
   Some used some new.

charles

Dave's sound interesting. I need 8 footers, preferably used. I don't want to go super expensive. what models of cables are available.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 09:45:30 AM »
   Some used some new.

charles

yeah, we'll have to talk. Maybe at the November meeting we can discuss.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 10:48:28 AM »
Try using the same wire used in your speakers. Find out what they are and Maybe makeshift or buy terminated.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Douglas Connection
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 04:06:52 PM »
Has anyone ever ordered from Douglas Connection? They have Cardas posts on sale but was wondering about the Furez products (spades/bananas) :roll:

Offline sleepyguy24

re: Douglas Connection
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 07:40:44 AM »
Hi JimBones

If you have an Audiogon ID send a message to A'gon member Williewonka. He has used Furez products and speaks highly of them.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?fcabl&1382980366&openflup&1&4

If you don't have an A'gon ID he has a blog too.

http://www.image99.net/blog/

I've corresponded with him before and he was always a real nice guy to talk to. Very helpful. I tried to steer him here but I don't think he has joined yet.

williewonka

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 05:59:14 AM »
Hey Sleepyguy - decided to take you up on your offer :)

I can confirm the Furez Bananas are extremely good - better than any I've used to date.

Perhaps the only issue is the fact they are made from Copper, which is very soft. They supported my heavy D-352 cables OK, but I knocked them with my knee and they bent a little - they did straighten out OK and presented no problem since. But I wouldn't want to do this more than once

They spades will not suffer from this - they are much more robust

Regards...

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 06:46:34 AM »
Hey Sleepyguy - decided to take you up on your offer :)

I can confirm the Furez Bananas are extremely good - better than any I've used to date.

Perhaps the only issue is the fact they are made from Copper, which is very soft. They supported my heavy D-352 cables OK, but I knocked them with my knee and they bent a little - they did straighten out OK and presented no problem since. But I wouldn't want to do this more than once

They spades will not suffer from this - they are much more robust

Regards...

Sweet. I'm glad you decided to join and can't wait to read the further discussions.

Check out AN member DaveC and his ICs or Triode Pete and the power cables he makes. Real nice stuff. Should make for some nice discussions. Thanks