Author Topic: System meaurements  (Read 3641 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
System meaurements
« on: September 21, 2013, 06:08:12 AM »
  Well we all see measurements of individual components however I have yet to see the entire system measured at the speaker cable end.
    Knowing the LCR of the system could one now insert different cables remeasure and find out how the cable change affected the previous LCR. Distortion as well.
    Professor Richidoo is this possible or am I barking up the wrong tree ?  Scotty ?? anyone ??

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
Re: System meaurements
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »
Charles, the reason we see no such measurement is because we can't see past the amplifier. In the case of the amplifier, if it is solid state it will have an output impedance of near zero or even below with negative feedback. We won't be measuring the LCR of the amplifier as a whole. The SS amp will have an input impedance which is important because the partnering preamp has to drive the LCR of the ICs and the input impedance without a premature HF roll off or a rise in distortion. Once again because of the active circuitry involved you can't measure the LCR of the preamp from input to output. You can probably measure the LCR of a transformer or autoformer based passive preamp.
 I understand what you want to do, you like to be able to measure the changes you hear when you switch from IC or speaker cable to another
And at this time I don't think we can do this unless the LCR component of a cable large enough to cause a measureable change in frequency response. Most of the time a change that you might hear does not correspond to a change in a measurable parameter.
Scotty

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: System meaurements
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 07:31:50 AM »
Thanks Scotty I knew there must be a good reason.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.