Thanks for the feedback Face
Perchance did you try the foils? I've not, maybe they suck too
Thanks
Rich

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: CAPS
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 05:58:15 PM »
No, I haven't tried the foils yet.  Out of curiosity, I'll keep them in mind next time I have a piece of gear I'm tinkering with.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 06:47:41 AM »
  The mundorf silver/gold appears to be a good choice. A bit warm but with plenty of detail. A full bodied sound compared to the silver mundorf. I have used both. Perfer the gold.silver for SS and the silver for tubes.
  It all depends what you are trying to achieve in tonality. Warm ? bright ? neutral ? I would talk to Klaus first before purchasing caps. He will know what is best. Since the design is similar to the Symphonic line of amps it would be interesting to know what caps they use.
  whatever cap you choose break it in first outside the amp. The cap will change allot during break in and mat NOT allow you to discern the true difference before you give it up. Allow two hundred hours for this process. It pays off. :thumb:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 08:00:48 AM »
Right on the break in - especially if you're going to try things like Teflons which take forever to stop doing their Jekyll and Hyde thing - but man are they sweet when they're done!  Clean, dynamic, accurate, etc.

I would also agree to know which way you're trying to make the change.  OIMP's on the output will definitely warm things up and give a huge, rich tone.  Teflon - just the opposite but not sterile or overly bright like some silvers will be.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 10:49:02 AM »
The combo of OIMP's and Teflons I found to be better than pure Teflon itself though. I have Teflon coupling caps on the input to my preamp, and OIMP's on the output. I think a few others have warned against using teflons in a daisy chain kind of way - too much of a good thing, so to speak.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 10:59:53 AM »
Agreed.  I have a friend who did exactly that - Teflon coupling caps and OIMP output caps.  It's a great combination of a little warmth and texture with a ton of detail.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

evan1

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 12:40:57 PM »
Ins and outs. I will have to consult my Guru. I was only planning on replacing the 2 you see in the pic. I believe they are output caps. The description of the mundorf silver and oil on their website seems to fit my bill

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 02:03:35 PM »
I had Mundorf silvers on my Katana Accuton tweeters. I liked the clarity and purity. I would use them again in a heartbeat on a speaker crossover. They were 10uF, I think.

evan1

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 03:15:35 PM »
I'm going to let my speakers settle in first and the revisit this.Thanks for the suggestions

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 06:29:17 PM »
I'm going to let my speakers settle in first and the revisit this.Thanks for the suggestions

Good idea - one change at a time. (I know firsthand how hard that can be.  #-o )

Besides until you become intimately familiar with the character of the new speakers it will be hard to evaluate the changes brought about by the caps.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

evan1

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 03:47:16 AM »
Starting to think about this again. I guess I'm wondering if I will get more transparency by changing the caps ?

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 05:03:47 AM »
I am in the minority here by saying I am not a big fan of the Mundorf Silver in oil. Used them twice in different applications and they didn't work out.
I am a big fan of the Auricap and it is cheap. Give it a try. See what a different cap does and how you react. If you tell me what you like or dislike about  this cap I could tell you what direction to go in for a different cap. There is no best cap, only the one that works best in your system.
And by that logic the Mundorf Silver in Oil might work for you, just in my two cases they sounded great in the beginning , but when they settled, I ultimately had to remove them.
I went thru several caps in different locations. For one location , the input board on my amp I finally settled on the new Vcap copper teflons. My amp is warmish sounding so I could get away with the extra openess, If I had a solid state I might choose a Oil cap to add some warmth, if my SS amp wasof the standard SS sound and not a warmish amp.
Evan I will try to pick up 2 1.0 Auricaps for you today for you to borrow. Have Karl slap em in.

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

evan1

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 06:22:38 AM »
I am in the minority here by saying I am not a big fan of the Mundorf Silver in oil. Used them twice in different applications and they didn't work out.
I am a big fan of the Auricap and it is cheap. Give it a try. See what a different cap does and how you react. If you tell me what you like or dislike about  this cap I could tell you what direction to go in for a different cap. There is no best cap, only the one that works best in your system.
And by that logic the Mundorf Silver in Oil might work for you, just in my two cases they sounded great in the beginning , but when they settled, I ultimately had to remove them.
I went thru several caps in different locations. For one location , the input board on my amp I finally settled on the new Vcap copper teflons. My amp is warmish sounding so I could get away with the extra openess, If I had a solid state I might choose a Oil cap to add some warmth, if my SS amp wasof the standard SS sound and not a warmish amp.
Evan I will try to pick up 2 1.0 Auricaps for you today for you to borrow. Have Karl slap em in.

Mike

:thumb:

djdube525

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 02:29:07 PM »
So it sounds like you're totally against the idea of bypass caps? Sonicap Gen IIs are cheap enough that it's worth a try.

A little under $5 a pop at soniccraft

http://www.soniccraft.com/sonicap_gen_2.htm

evan1

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 02:48:22 PM »
So it sounds like you're totally against the idea of bypass caps? Sonicap Gen IIs are cheap enough that it's worth a try.

A little under $5 a pop at soniccraft

http://www.soniccraft.com/sonicap_gen_2.htm

The Candela has the Sonicaps