Author Topic: Active speaker amps  (Read 13849 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Active speaker amps
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 06:51:16 AM »
I'm listening to this palm sized T-amp this morning, after opening it last night. It's an SA-36A Pro model. Granted, I am at low volumes while everyone else is sleeping, but it does what it needs to do. Clean, balanced sounding, plenty of bass using the HIFiMeDIY.com USB Sabre DAC (think Dragonfly-like). Working well with my AR215PS speakers.

All in all, I think this was a much better choice than getting separately powered desktop speakers. Pretty too, with a nice gold brushed aluminum faceplate, but it also comes in black and silver.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Active speaker amps
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 05:53:07 PM »
That looks sweet Bob. How does it sound cranked up?

The DIY chip amps mentioned above were calling out to me. I don't know if it will be the final answer, but it seemed like the best path to try first, in terms of potential sound quality for the price. I like the idea of everything in my system being DIY, too. The reviews of various quality midfi amps mentioned above were not convincing enough for me to take a chance.

I ordered a pair each of Twisted Pear Sympatico and Neurochrome Modulus-86.  I will compare them and buy a third pair of whichever wins. They have excellent performance specs for low price. They are both using the same concept: a line level opamp providing gain and driving a power opamp (lm3886) to drive the speakers, all wrapped together inside a single feedback loop. This is called a composite amplifier because it is two separate IC amplifier systems linked together to make a new amp better than either can do alone.

The Sympatico uses LM4780 power opamp for the "output stage" which is two LM3886 amps bridged together in one IC package. The Modulus-86 uses a LM3886 "output stage." So the Sympatico has twice the power of the Modulus, it is rated 100w while Modulus is rated 35w. 35w is enough for my mids and tweets, should also be enough for woofer, but Modulus can be paralleled and/or bridged as necessary for more power. All my drivers are 8ohms, with no passive crossover components eating power.

More to come...