Author Topic: "Pre-amps 101"  (Read 28421 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: "Pre-amps 101"
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2012, 06:06:18 PM »
I like the idea of batteries, one less power cord to screw things up

No offense to Pete, I know he makes great power cords, my intent was that PC's are another complex variable.
To eliminate a  variable can be a good thing.
I wish I could run my whole system with batteries and no cables at all! Perhaps one day soon.
Eliminate all the craziness of cables and power conditioning and save tons of money wasted on trying things.

Enjoy your preamp, teflon needs a bit of burn in but should soung great right out of the box and just get better, not like black gates which sound aweful for a very long time.
PS , I hate black gates honestly
I have used teflon 3 times in different gear and it always sounded great from day one and just improved over time.
I have to admit I also removed them 3 times as well, teflon is great, much better than most caps , but in the end it is not the answer for me, it does remove harmonic texture and has a cooling effect on the tonal colors of instruments, but it is super quiet and refined and can be addictive.

Enjoy your new toy and keep us informed, I would love to hear Dodds battery powered phono stage one day

mike

System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2012, 07:52:08 PM »
I like the idea of batteries, one less power cord to screw things up

No offense to Pete, I know he makes great power cords, my intent was that PC's are another complex variable.
To eliminate a  variable can be a good thing.
I wish I could run my whole system with batteries and no cables at all! Perhaps one day soon.
Eliminate all the craziness of cables and power conditioning and save tons of money wasted on trying things.

mike

Hi Mike

I don't think what you said regarding PC's was offensive and I doubt Pete would either. 

He actually was kidding around with me last night telling me I should "re-think" my purchase of the Dodd because it meant he couldn't sell me a TWL cord!  (BTW - I bought two of his cords last night for other equipment!)  The reality is that Pete really was impressed by the Dodd pre and when I told him about my concerns with dynamics and P.R.A.T., he assured me it wouldn't be an issue. 

Overall, I think it's rather obvious to us all that the less variables involved in building our systems, the better off we are.  Less headaches and wallet-aches too! :lol:
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2012, 08:00:23 PM »

Enjoy your preamp, teflon needs a bit of burn in but should soung great right out of the box and just get better, not like black gates which sound aweful for a very long time.
PS , I hate black gates honestly I have used teflon 3 times in different gear and it always sounded great from day one and just improved over time. I have to admit I also removed them 3 times as well, teflon is great, much better than most caps , but in the end it is not the answer for me, it does remove harmonic texture and has a cooling effect on the tonal colors of instruments, but it is super quiet and refined and can be addictive.

Enjoy your new toy and keep us informed, I would love to hear Dodds battery powered phono stage one day

mike

Thanks for the well wishes, Mike.  I also appreciate the  heads-up on what to expect with the burn-in on the teflon caps.  It's nice to know they should sound pretty decent "right outta da box" and continue to get better.  Hopefully, within the next few weeks all of this will come together and I can break-in my freshened up and up-graded NYAL Moscode 600 amp along with the new Dodd (VGP) pre together.

Somewhere down the line, I'll have you over for a listen.

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

lonewolfny42

« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Hopefully, this will be a good match up to my NYAL Moscode 600 amp once I get it back...???

Gary builds "good stuff"....my buddy Jeff/Captain Humble has had his Dodd preamp for a number of years now....he's happy.

Picture link...

Matched with his Usher 1.5 amp...it sounds very good.

I hope the synergy works for you...and I'm glad Pete and Charles finally attended RMAF....good show to listen and learn...and find out whats out there. :thumb:

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2012, 10:58:58 AM »
Hopefully, this will be a good match up to my NYAL Moscode 600 amp once I get it back...???

Gary builds "good stuff"....my buddy Jeff/Captain Humble has had his Dodd preamp for a number of years now....he's happy...  

...I hope the synergy works for you...:thumb:

Your lips to God's ears, Chris! :)

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
It's a day late, but I changed my avatar to belatedly celebrate which would have been Mr. James Marshall Hendrix' 70th. birthday.

Rock on, Jimi.  Rock on!

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2012, 02:34:53 PM »
Happy BD Mr hendrix.

Bil, did you get your Moscode amp back yet? Does your EE DAC have volume control? I'm curious to hear how you like the amp with your speakers. But you probably have another thread going for that topic.  :rofl:

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2012, 04:02:25 PM »
Happy BD Mr hendrix.

Bil, did you get your Moscode amp back yet? Does your EE DAC have volume control? I'm curious to hear how you like the amp with your speakers. But you probably have another thread going for that topic.  :rofl:

Hi Rich

In order:

• I'm still waiting for it (Moscode 600 amp) to be completed by George Kaye.  He said probably not until mid December...??? :(  

• My EE DAC is the original one with the volume control. :)

• I can't tell you how anything sounds because of answer #1 above!  :roll:

• Great idea, Rich.  Once I get everything back in the house (amp, new pre etc...)
    I will start a new thread just for YOU! :rofl:

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »
Yippee!  :yay2:

I am excited for you Bill! You are your own Santa Claus!

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »
Yippee!  :yay2:

I am excited for you Bill! You are your own Santa Claus!

Thanks, Rich!

I'm hoping to be more like "Synergy Claus" when all this arrives, gets put together and I get to listen!

That would be sweet! :thumb:

Time will tell... It's just hard to be patient. :roll:

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »
when does your preamp arrive?
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2013, 04:25:51 PM »
when does your preamp arrive?

Soon, hopefully...???  Gary Dodd e-mailed me a couple of days ago to tell me he had the flu for Christmas (David Crosby anyone!?!) and hasn't quite finished it yet.  Actually, he said the pre itself is done, but the control knobs aren't.  Most likely it will get here the week after this.

Considering, I'm still waiting for my Moscode 600 to come back from George Kaye (it keeps getting delayed a week at a time) I have no reason to rush Gary on the Dodd VGP. 

What's gonna really drive me nuts is when I do have the Dodd pre here and can't listen to it until the damned Moscode comes back! :duh

T.B.C.

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L