Author Topic: The Amp of All times ???  (Read 15168 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
The Amp of All times ???
« on: July 19, 2011, 06:52:56 AM »
  David Bernings ZOTL design. Heard that this baby shook up the show in Washington. According to ears I trust this amp is the amp to have on a desert island. A truley innovative design. Check it out. Wow !!! www.davidberning.com/products/qz  Not a Dealer.

charles
SMA
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:06:33 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: The Amp of All times ???
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:10:51 AM »
His amps from a few years back were tiny output, but heralded as well.

Wonder what the price is.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »
 David Bernings ZOTL design. Heard that this baby shook up the show in Washington. According to ears I trust this amp is the amp to have on a desert island. A truley innovative design. Check it out. Wow !!! www.davidberning.com/products/qz  Not a Dealer.

charles
SMA

I don't know about innovative, as OTL (Output transformerless) designs have been around for many many years. The best known probably are the Julius Futterman designs built and marketed by Harvey Rosenberg under the New York Audio Labs banner (in the pre-Moscode days) and later the Atma-Spheres. OTLs always had wonderful sound but were plagued with other problems like high power consumption (with the corresponding heat generation) and reliability issues (not to mention the fact that they beat the hell out of their output tubes - as usual, nothing for nothing). However; it does look like a nice refinement to the classic OTL concept that could make an OTL amp much easier to live with.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »

Berning currently has two power amps in their line. The ZH-230 which put out 30wpc and lists for $8350

http://www.avguide.com/review/david-berning-zh-230-stereo-power-amplifier-tas-210?page=1

and the Quadrature Z monoblocks that put out 220w each and sell for just under $30k per pair

http://davidberning.com/Files/reviews/BerningQZ-hifiplus200811.pdf

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 11:37:27 AM »
He makes a compelling argument for his design ... the elimination of transformers and "fixing" the problem with other OTL designs. Most of it is over my head technically though. I guess the proof is in the sound and its ability to mate with most speaker designs and not blow up, like some other OTL designs are prone to do.

Still, expensive little watts those are, but good they sound, maybe.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 12:11:45 PM »
He makes a compelling argument for his design ... the elimination of transformers and "fixing" the problem with other OTL designs. Most of it is over my head technically though. I guess the proof is in the sound and its ability to mate with most speaker designs and not blow up, like some other OTL designs are prone to do.

Still, expensive little watts those are, but good they sound, maybe.

OTLs were always at the higher end of the price spectrum. Another one of their drawbacks.  :(

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 04:25:50 PM »
I got to hear the Belles Reference 350 amp and it was very very
good as well. I think it rivaled the OTL amps I have heard and
designed.

Cheers.
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline hogg

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 07:53:44 PM »
A cheaper way to have OTL's is with Transcendent Audio's products.

http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Products.html

Jim
Strong as an Ox and twice as smart

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 06:31:24 AM »
I see Transcendent has some new stuff I didn't know about. Building the Grounded Grid preamp was fun, very easy kit to build. My only reservation about Beast and the new MiniBeast is the power tubes are made only by JJ, who have quality issues. But JJ E34Ls was the best power tube I ever heard, and their 12AT7 too, until they blew up.  :rofl:

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »
Anyone have any experience with the Transcendent Audio amps?

I heard the Grounded Grid pre-amp at a Decware audiofest several years ago and thought it sounded nice, but quite warm compared to the Decware stuff (but I know Decware sounds more like solid state "done right").

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »
The pre can be tuned to be cleaner sound, there are a couple mod websites. The amps use a generous helping of feedback to get that low impedance so I expect that does take away some of the free spirit, but OTL has a lot of that to spare. I'd like to hear the amps.

Regg

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 04:58:40 PM »
It's sad I guess, but the only OTL I've had the opportunity to hear is the one I currently own, and I only became interested in going that route because my speakers were tuned with the very same amp. I'd love to hear a Berning, or a Tenor, or a Joule Electra OTL, but not only are these cost-prohibitive for me...I'm also quite certain that speaker matching will be just as critical, no matter how far you go up the line.

Conversing with a few audio buddies, I realize the OTL 'sound', if you want to call it that, is not for everyone. I've heard someone call it 'whitish', though I'm not sure I agree, and others I know just don't find it very engaging to begin with. In my opinion, my OTL offers a very open, very clean, clear window to the source. Whether or not this is an advantage will depend on what's going on upstream, I suppose. If your speakers are a good match, then the OTL will demonstrate what they are really capable of, from top to bottom. I haven't heard anything else quite like it.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 06:00:03 PM »

Berning currently has two power amps in their line. The ZH-230 which put out 30wpc and lists for $8350

http://www.avguide.com/review/david-berning-zh-230-stereo-power-amplifier-tas-210?page=1

and the Quadrature Z monoblocks that put out 220w each and sell for just under $30k per pair

http://davidberning.com/Files/reviews/BerningQZ-hifiplus200811.pdf

From a KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) guy who has low powered SETs that are "point to point" wired, those Berning amps look overly complicated to me... would love to try one of his lowered power amps one day, just to "hear"!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 06:31:48 PM »
I think the actual amp circuit is the bottom small PCB with the tubes, and all the crazy shit above the shield is the various power supplies, which of course are very important, but I agree that looks a little crazy!