Author Topic: Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier: Any experience?  (Read 6281 times)

BrentoRudra

Since the heat has set in here in CA I'm thinking Class D and Tripath T amps, etc. The Dayton looks interesting. Now. I have some very sensitive Klipsch Fortes (about 100 dB) and I'm thinking to hook up my Conrad Johnson PV-10 into one of these little guys just to see what happens.

What HAS happened with you folks?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier: Any experience?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 05:37:44 AM »
  Not familiar with the Dayton . not a fan of the Tripath. lean and bright IMO. You may consider a SET that does not generate much heat like a 2A3 tubed unit. If SS is your goal consider CJ, Emotiva.

charles
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:39:35 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

BrentoRudra

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 04:32:53 PM »
Have you heard Emotiva, Charles? I've been looking at their mono amps.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 05:20:07 PM »

My $0.02 - the Emotiva are great amps for the money; However for your highly sensitive speakers, I'd recommend a simple SET design, where the first watt or two (maybe milliwatts) will have the most influence on sound quality.

Sir Charles - my 2A3 SET monoblocks running in Class A, generate little heat... on the other hand, my 2A3 push-pull parallel behemoths were little furnaces... lower powered SET amps even when run in Class A will produce neglible amounts of heat...
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 08:16:37 AM »

Yes. With an all Emotiva system at Axpona NYC. Well built, price is right and a 30 day trial. I can give you my opinion all day long but its my opinion. Only an in home demo will convince you either way.
  It was difficult to determinr what was doing what at the show, however overall a VG sound. Give them a go.

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

BrentoRudra

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 09:04:31 AM »
Yes, well, you see, I am only borrowing the Klipsch speakers from a friend. Normally I use Vandersteen 2ce monoliths with a Conrad Johnson PV-10 and a Rotel RB-991 power amp during the summer. This all runs cool enough to please me. A DIY friend is offering to recap and generally upgrade the Rotel for about what it would cost for me to buy a newer modestly priced Emotiva stereo, even the mono amps. I might give the in home trial a try. Thanks, guys.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 09:22:07 AM »
Yes, well, you see, I am only borrowing the Klipsch speakers from a friend. Normally I use Vandersteen 2ce monoliths with a Conrad Johnson PV-10 and a Rotel RB-991 power amp during the summer. This all runs cool enough to please me. A DIY friend is offering to recap and generally upgrade the Rotel for about what it would cost for me to buy a newer modestly priced Emotiva stereo, even the mono amps. I might give the in home trial a try. Thanks, guys.

Thats a nice combo you have going on there . Great synergy. I would only mess with the output coulpling caps in the Rotel or the CJ at first.  V-cap teflon in the Rotel or CJ oh my. have fun trying.

charles

BrentoRudra

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »
Well, my DIY bud has taken a look inside and marveled at the design of the Rotel. He only suggested better caps, some other upgrades to power supplies and rewiring the in and outputs. Run me about $400 w/his labor fee, which I insist on giving him. He is even willing to do the work in stages to save me having to throw my whole monthly audio slush fund at the one toy. Thing is, even without any upgrades, I've been quite happy with the synergy of this system.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 06:52:59 AM »
Well, my DIY bud has taken a look inside and marveled at the design of the Rotel. He only suggested better caps, some other upgrades to power supplies and rewiring the in and outputs. Run me about $400 w/his labor fee, which I insist on giving him. He is even willing to do the work in stages to save me having to throw my whole monthly audio slush fund at the one toy. Thing is, even without any upgrades, I've been quite happy with the synergy of this system.

Ya know sometimes we need to just draw a line in the sand and stay put. If you are happy as is, leave it as is. In the future you may consider Vandy 2Ce sing or 3A Sing. Next up ones source can always be improved. the electronics as is with a better front end or speaker will yield more than modding the Rotel IMO. Remember that it is not the quality of a part but the selection of all the parts synergy wise.
   Just try a buddy's CDP or DAC for kicks and see what that yields before any mods. I'm sure you noticed a difference in trying the Klipsh. Tubes for the CJ will change the flavor if desired. You have several options to try before component surgery.

charles

BrentoRudra

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 04:43:57 PM »
Yes, I have had some fun tube rolling with the C/J. Only 5 tubes, 3 in the phono section. I've tried a number of NOS 12AU7s at the urging of a tube head. Amazing how different they can sound. RCSs, Sylvania/Philips, etc. Normally I just stick with Teslas and let it go but I really enjoyed the wamrth of the Sylvanias and the punch of the RCAs. And there are a whole lot more out there.

As for front ends, I've gotten bored with them. At a garage sale with my DIY friends I sold a whole lot of CD players, including my old reference Rotel RCD-855 which I thought I'd never let go of. Now I mostly do analog, and with modest gear; my current turntable being an Audio Nirvana refurbed AR XA, which suits me fine; then a Teac a3400 reel to reel, which sounds amazing with good tapes. I got it fairly cheap from some musicians who had gone digital. They kept it up quite well. It plays perfectly without any upgrades other than whatever they did.

Anyways, you are perfectly right, Charles. The Rotel sounds fine, now. No hurry for me, really. It's my pal who wants to do some soldering! I could just kick back here as I have for more than a year now, always coming back to my comfort zone with the C/j-Rotel-Vandersteens.