Author Topic: "Cheapskate" Office System???  (Read 17301 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: "Cheapskate" Office System???
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 06:39:49 AM »
  If you can swing the Creek from Black Sand it would be tough to beat. The Cambridge gear is quite good but no Creek.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 08:46:30 AM »
  If you can swing the Creek from Black Sand it would be tough to beat. The Cambridge gear is quite good but no Creek.

charles

I gave him some info on Creek but even though I dropped my pants to the extreme when it came to price  :shock: :shock:, it was still a little more than he wants to spend on this system. He wants to keep it very simple and very cheap.

Regg

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 09:15:21 AM »
I've got an ATI AT-1502 you can test-drive if you like...I don't live very far from you.

http://www.wwsp.com/ati/at1502brochure.htm

Hi Regg

Thanks for the offer.  I may take advantage of that somewhere down the line?  Do you know what the pricing on the ATI AT-1502 is?  When I went to the link you posted, it wasn't listed on the price list.  Is the AT-1502 a discontinued model?

SN

The AT1502 model is no longer in production was replaced by the AT1802, as indicated below...
http://www.wwsp.com/ati/at1502.htm

I was looking to get right around the price mentioned in your OP. You are welcome to borrow the amp to see if it floats your boat. It drove my 4 ohm floorstanders with plenty of authority and power to spare.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2010, 05:58:43 AM »
To all:

If I decide to go the Pre & Power Amp route and keep my Parasound P/HP-850, what do you guys think of a B&K ST-140... all brawn, no beauty?

Thanks!
SN

I whole heartedly recommend that amp for any purpose, office or nice home system on a budget.  It is one of the best all around values I've found.  The ST-202 is better but for an office system, it will make no difference.  My friend Allen turned me on to B&K amps when I first got started in this hobby.  I had no reason to sell the amp other than to fund new toys.. one of the ones I wish I'd kept.  

I know nothing about Parasound preamps, though.  I'd go for a tubed pre and get the ultimate compliment out of that system.  If you can find a tubed pre that's easy on tubes, you should be good to go with a system that would easily transfer from the office to a nice 2nd system...   If you don't need a remote, a used EE Minimax would certainly look cool and provide the right mix of tubey goodness and SS balls.

edit.. just noticed you already have the Parasound pre.  Get the B&K and you won't be dissapointed.

-C
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:00:44 AM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 07:06:53 AM »
To all:

If I decide to go the Pre & Power Amp route and keep my Parasound P/HP-850, what do you guys think of a B&K ST-140... all brawn, no beauty?

Thanks!
SN

I whole heartedly recommend that amp for any purpose, office or nice home system on a budget.  It is one of the best all around values I've found.  

If you thought the ST-140 was a good deal before, have you seen the recent listings on A'gon? The are regularly selling for under $200 and sometimes even under $150!!!  :shock: :shock:

An amp like that for $150?  You'd almost have to go to confession for stealing after closing a deal like that.  :roll:

At that price it might even be worth picking one up as a turnaround piece in case one of your amps ever gets sold or sent out for repairs and/or upgrades.......... :-k
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2010, 08:32:27 PM »
An amp like that for $150?  You'd almost have to go to confession for stealing after closing a deal like that.  :roll:

"Bless me Father, for I have sinned..." :shock:

Well... after much deliberation and shallow pockets, I have finally made up my mind.  I am going with a very clean looking B&K ST-140 from A'gon.  I'm really not sure if it's a 1st., 2nd. or 3rd. generation ST-140, but from descriptions I've read, it's not a 4th. generation version because it doesn't have blue lettering.  If anybody can tell me more from the pix. please let me know.

Thanks!
SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2010, 07:30:27 AM »
Big heat sinks, always a good sign of a good amount of class A operation. By the size of the sinks could be a few watts of class A, so you will be listening in class A most of the time in a bedroom.  :thumb:  Congrats on your new amp! Looking forward to hearing how you like it.
Rich

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2010, 03:02:47 PM »
Thanks, Rich... and to all that contributed ideas on this thread :thumb:

I guess I better get that room cleaned out now!  :D 

The comments/suggestions here on AN, along with reviews of the ST-140 that I was able to find on-line and of course, my limited funds to work with were all contributing factors in my decision; but what finally "put me over the edge" was a phone call to the local techie that a lot of the guys around here use.  Scott @ S.G. Custom Sound (http://www.sgcustomsound.com/) said that the vintage B&K stuff (especially an ST-140 like this) is not only really nice sounding equipment, but it's also "built like a tank".  He said that even if there's anything that needs to be re-done/re-furbed on it, they were (are) easy amps to work on.  It's also nice to know that B&K is still in business in upstate (Buffalo) NY for support (http://www.bkcomp.com/) although I don't know about the availability of parts for a 20+ year old amp...???  Hopefully, I won't be in need of parts or service any time soon.

I will keep you posted once it arrives and I get to listen to it. 

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 04:56:59 AM »
How about a compact tubed integrated amp (20 wpc at 8 ohms with headphone output, gold plated connectors, and detactable power cord) for $199?

http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_a1

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 05:36:28 AM »
How about a compact tubed integrated amp (20 wpc at 8 ohms with headphone output, gold plated connectors, and detactable power cord) for $199?

http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_a1

Wow!  I wish I'd knew this piece existed before I bought the B&K ST-140.  Looks (sounds?) like a really neat compact integrated that certainly would've taken up a lot less space than what I'm putting together now.  I will file this for future reference.  Maybe, this will be the next addition to my house?  To paraphrase President Hoover "...a stereo system in every room."  :-)

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

djdube525

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 10:14:01 AM »
FWIW... there are some discussions on the Maverick in the "Cheap & Cheerful" circle on AC...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78467.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=85615.0

Dave