Author Topic: Amp Choice  (Read 12850 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Amp Choice
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 02:34:59 PM »
  One thing I must point out. the SET sound especially 211 tubes have enamored me. PP, PP triode and so on have graced my system. So far the SET sound is what I crave.
   Now if Opera does the right thing [ IMO] and supply two of the four trannies at no cost its still $480 installed if not $640. For either amount I will not get a thing new or used. Is it worth taking a chance again ? Not sure that is the issue. Basic economics tells me to get the trannies but the Nervosa is lurking. It sounded world class before the explosion. Just put in $700 in new parts and $500 for TJ Meshplate 211 tubes. BTW jury is still out on the tube[ Shorting] less than 200 hrs on tube.
  So I'm in for $1200 plus cost of amp. So to take a total loss because of a Design flaw is a bit much to swallow.
  So men encourage my Nervosa or kill it now. Group therapy :lol:

charles

Sounds like the $480/$640 figures that you are quoting will only cover the Xformer repairs what about all of the other circuitry that melted down causing the Xformer failure? I would be afraid that that portion of the repair would cost more than the new xformers. I just hope that Opera doesn't bail on you and say that the failure is your fault because you modified their original circuit designs (One of the big risks of DIY mods).
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables