Author Topic: Amp Choice  (Read 12851 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Amp Choice
« on: June 02, 2010, 07:20:17 AM »
  I am thinking of a new amp. I have had issues with the Opera cyber 211 amp. First a power cap exploded now the power and output trannies. New trannies are $640 installed. First repair and mod $700.

my choices are: George Wright AU70 $1500
                       Jadis Defy7mk4 $3500
                       Airtight ATM1 $1950
                       VAC Renaissance 70/70 Mk2 $4000
  The Nervosa is perking, with two failures to date I'm just not sure what to do. Comments.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: Amp Choice
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:03:49 AM »
I haven't heard it, but this may be worth a listen...

Jolida JD 801RC

70 WPC

MSRP:  $1600.00

http://www.jolida.com/index.php?p=products&category=2&model=20

Also, as an extra added incentive... Scott at S.G. Custom Sound carries Jolida.  :thumb:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:51:05 AM »
Get the VAC, w/Black Treasure 300Bs. I can't find which other tubes it runs.

Do you think OTL would work with your speakers?

Sorry to hear about your tech troubles Charles.
Rich

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 11:27:37 AM »
You need to keep your fat fingers outside of the chassis Charles.  :duh :rofl:

Seriously, you don't need much power to run your speakers. They're pretty efficient, right? So what you need is some clean first watts. Any specific tube type you are seeking?
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

drews_hifi

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:53:26 AM »
Hi Charles,

Sorry to hear about yr amps. 

I heartily recommend the McAlister PP150 that I use for about $2000 new.  Hand built in Canada, he winds his own transformers and will build to spec.  Mine's been working for about 3yrs without a hiccup, still on the first set of tubes.  Here's a link including his single ended amp:

http://www.mcalisteraudio.com/

SE44 : Single Ended Class A Stereo Amplifier
Using Horizontal Output Tubes Paralleled in Triode Mode with 22 Watts per Channel and separate power supply chassis

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 11:56:04 AM »
How about a nice 845 based set amp?

Viva Solista
Mastersound
Cary
maybe an audionote kit SET

mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 12:21:39 PM »
Or a John Wiesner custom built special to match with your preamp.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 09:21:40 PM »
  I am thinking of a new amp. I have had issues with the Opera cyber 211 amp. First a power cap exploded now the power and output trannies. New trannies are $640 installed. First repair and mod $700.

my choices are: George Wright AU70 $1500
                       Jadis Defy7mk4 $3500
                       Airtight ATM1 $1950
                       VAC Renaissance 70/70 Mk2 $4000
  The Nervosa is perking, with two failures to date I'm just not sure what to do. Comments.

charles

Kind of hard to recommend an amp out of thin air when the rest of the system is a mystery Charles. As all gear is system specific, meaning folks sharing their experiences with what gear combinations has worked together for them, it would definitely help to know what you're planning on pairing a new amp with. Thanks.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 06:28:26 AM »
Or a John Wiesner custom built special to match with your preamp.

John wants $10,000, I don't think so.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 06:30:58 AM »
Get the VAC, w/Black Treasure 300Bs. I can't find which other tubes it runs.

Do you think OTL would work with your speakers?

Sorry to hear about your tech troubles Charles.
Rich

Rich, my favorite amp which is out of reach is the Joule electra Rite of Passage. Truly an amp to lust over. even at accomodation price its still out of reach. POWERBALL.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 06:37:19 AM »
   Robin I'm using Pipedream speakers and a Loesch & Weisner Preamp. Lector CDP. Linn TT.  Cable between Pre and Amp is JPS SC3.
   Right now the VAC and George Wright are being strongly considered. The Jadis is itching at my Nervosa. reliability and age is my biggest concern. Any of those three would have a wonderful synergy with my speakers.
   Tube replacement and replacement of caps in the near future is another concern. So my question for recco pertaind to the history, build and reliability. Thanks.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 06:52:32 AM »
  One thing I must point out. the SET sound especially 211 tubes have enamored me. PP, PP triode and so on have graced my system. So far the SET sound is what I crave.
   Now if Opera does the right thing [ IMO] and supply two of the four trannies at no cost its still $480 installed if not $640. For either amount I will not get a thing new or used. Is it worth taking a chance again ? Not sure that is the issue. Basic economics tells me to get the trannies but the Nervosa is lurking. It sounded world class before the explosion. Just put in $700 in new parts and $500 for TJ Meshplate 211 tubes. BTW jury is still out on the tube[ Shorting] less than 200 hrs on tube.
  So I'm in for $1200 plus cost of amp. So to take a total loss because of a Design flaw is a bit much to swallow.
  So men encourage my Nervosa or kill it now. Group therapy :lol:

charles

drews_hifi

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 07:37:22 AM »
How about the Vac 30/30. 

Retubing a 70/70 is (8) 300Bs, the 30/30 is half that, still with plenty o power for your pipes.  Beautiful looks, but I've never had the oppty to hear either the 30/30 or the 70/70. 

Economically, the sensible thing is to repair the amps, then decide to sell or keep.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 07:39:49 AM »
You gotta fix it so you can sell it, right? You're not gonna chuck it? Or is it so cheap that you can total it is best answer?  If you can get the parts cheap, fix it, then sell or try the good tubes and see how you feel about it. You'll know what to do at the time.  You could contact a tranny winder to see if they can make new trannies for you, but I doubt it would be cheaper than replacement parts from China. You could get some superduper custom output trannies from Bud Purvine or magnequest as an upgrade, but you still need them installed. Maybe a few fuses to protect the transformers would be a good idea too. For all that effort and money to change them, it's a better value to buy something already there.

If you can live with 16W Opera 211, then you can live with VAC Ren 30/30, or Atma-sphere S30, both make 30W. The OTL needs 8ohm minimum, no foolin. My Manley SEPP 300Bs are very sweet, making 22W. All octal front, adjustable feedback, they could handle the 4ohm 90dB Ushers. If you don't need 65W from a pair of 300b in the 7070, then also consider the VAC Ren 3030 makes 30W. These are all <4k when they pop up.  The older used VACs have a lot of upgrades available, like tube Sentry and Signature parts upgrades. Same deal with older Atma-Spheres, they are cheap but the current version is noticeably better.  These are reliable US brands, you can call and talk to the designer any weekday.

Ask yourself if you are finished with the Opera yet. Listen closely for the answer over a day. Then say OK, what's next? Then look for the perfect opportunity. It will hit you on the head.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 07:42:39 AM »
Drew beat me to the 30/30! But I think they both have 2 output tubes per channel, just different circuit. I bet the 3030 sounds better and lasts longer, but I don't know. Call Kevin Hayes and ask, he is a real angel.  He used to live here in Raleigh area, now FL.

EDIT:  Nope, drew is right, 7070 has 4 outputs per channel, 3030 has only two.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 07:45:20 AM by richidoo »