Author Topic: Anyone heard the Eastern Electric M156 amps?  (Read 24879 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Anyone heard the Eastern Electric M156 amps?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 11:39:37 AM »
At the moment, I know they are in Hickory, NC being auditioned by a guy named Todd.  Contact Bill at Morningstar for more info.
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 11:47:31 AM »
There may also be a pair in the Denver area now, and (I think) they will be featured by Bolder Cables at RMAF.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 03:08:42 PM »
EricH, where are you located? If on the west coast there might be a pair after RMAF is completed.
 The pair Mike MCA was going to audition went to Wayne at Bolder for the RMAF as Mike sold a pair of speakers that were damaged in shipping and the guy who bought them was disputing his credit card charge so Mike had to take a pass on them for now until the speaker issue resolves itself.

A pair is in NC as we speak but I haven't heard from Todd in a few days so let me shoot him off an email to find out what the story is.

There will be a second review from the editor Martin DeWulf at Bound For Sound probably in next months mailing. I believe he really likes them also and he hates tube amplifiers :D

There will be a review at Stereomojo.com soon to be released in the next few days with a few different takes as they reviewed them on one heck of a beautiful system and had a few reviewers listen to them also so can't wait to hear their opinions.
 I'm biased though(40ma) :rofl: and they're the best I've ever heard.

Later,
 Bill
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

EricH

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 03:14:40 PM »
EricH, where are you located? If on the west coast there might be a pair after RMAF is completed.
 The pair Mike MCA was going to audition went to Wayne at Bolder for the RMAF as Mike sold a pair of speakers that were damaged in shipping and the guy who bought them was disputing his credit card charge so Mike had to take a pass on them for now until the speaker issue resolves itself.

A pair is in NC as we speak but I haven't heard from Todd in a few days so let me shoot him off an email to find out what the story is.

There will be a second review from the editor Martin DeWulf at Bound For Sound probably in next months mailing. I believe he really likes them also and he hates tube amplifiers :D

There will be a review at Stereomojo.com soon to be released in the next few days with a few different takes as they reviewed them on one heck of a beautiful system and had a few reviewers listen to them also so can't wait to hear their opinions.
 I'm biased though(40ma) :rofl: and they're the best I've ever heard.

Later,
 Bill

I am in Austin TX

opnly bafld

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 07:44:48 PM »

Congrats' Bill on the nice review by Rich Weiner in BFS.
If Marty "the big honking ss kinda guy" likes them that will be saying something.

Lin

Offline Bill O'Connell

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 08:34:23 PM »
Thanks Lin,

Martin is a tuff cookie on tube amps so winning him over will be no easy chore but were trying to convert him to tubes. We started on him with the phonostage(which he purchased about 2 years ago), now were going for the pinnacle with  our amplification. :drool: I was going to say I have my fingers crossed but on second thought and not to sound cocky ,they are some kick ass amps and I'm sure he will hear it and tell it like it is which is fine with me, so much so ,that I look forward to each and every comment from anybody who hears them.

Listening to:  Willie & Lobo   "Sultans Dream" .       I love that Gypsy violin sound in this great song
Bill O'Connell,
847-255-1150

mgalusha

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 08:36:21 PM »
I've been fortunate enough to have the pair that Bill sent out for RMAF in my system for the past two weeks and while I'm certainly not a reviewer I can say that I really like these amps. My system is actively bi-amplified so the M156's are running from 275Hz up so I can't comment on their bass but the mid and high frequency clarity is excellent with full extension and no high frequency roll off.

These amps encourage tube rolling as well. They arrived with the factory tubes, which give a very clean and somewhat lean presentation, at least for my taste. From what I've read and been told they can get all the way to syrupy depending on tubes. Well I prefer syrup on my pancakes and not in my audio system but I did want a little more richness. I happened to have a pair of NOS RCA 12AU7's I picked up some years ago that I never found the right home for. I put these in the first position of the M156's and I have now found the right place for them. With the RCA's on the input (I'm guessing as I don't have a schematic and I'm certainly not going to open them up) the M156's became just right for my tastes and system. Still clean and extended but with a bit more harmonic richness and body.

My main amp is a 100W custom OTL which also doubles as a space heater with 20 6AS7G output tubes. While the OTL is a bit more transparent, the EE amps are very close and have considerably more power and provide somewhat greater dynamics even though I rarely hit more than about 20W of output. My speakers are Meadowlark Blue Heron II's that have been modified for use with an active crossover. They have a sensitivity of 91.5dB (measured) so they will play very loud with only a few watts.

Speaking of measured, in order to incorporate the amps into my system I needed to know the gain. The manual specifies this as 30dB but I decided to measure it to sure. It was exactly as stated. While I had it on the bench I took some frequency response and THD measurements as well. The amp beat all the published specs without a problem. I didn't measure the maximum power output as I don't want to risk cooking a tube in something that isn't mine but I did measure it at 1W and 12.5W of output at various frequencies and it was very well behaved.

Kudos to Bill O'Connell for putting accurate specs in the owners manual and for including the gain, something too many manufactures don't do. While basic measurements don't come close to conveying how the amp will sound, it's nice to know it measures as good as it sounds.

For the last week I've been spinning vinyl and the M156 amps are really letting the delicious sound of a good record out. They have just gotten out of the way and let the music flow, about the highest compliment one can pay a piece of gear. The system is flat out addictive with vinyl and the M156's.

One gentleman I know said that in his system the amps were the the star of the show, this is certainly not true in mine, they just seem to do their job with no fuss and without drawing attention to themselves. Like anything else you have to hear them in your system. Tube amps, even big power houses like these, are more sensitive to the impedance and phase swings of the loudspeaker so what works for one may not be a good match with another. If you can get an audition take advantage of the opportunity.

I'm going to miss these when they are gone. One of those times when I wish my wallet were fatter.

mike g

mgalusha

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 08:37:26 PM »
Looks like I was typing while Bill posted. :)

Offline Bill O'Connell

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 09:20:15 PM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words,

Care to do an audio bud a favor? When you return the amps to Wayne at Bolder will you include those RCA 12au7's just for the RMAF and then Wayne will return them to you.Heck when you return them to Wayne give a listen on his system with those RCA's in there and if you still like what they do please keep them in the amp, if you don't like what they do then by all means take them home with you. I'll let Wayne and yourself be the judges as he will be using his own VMPS speakers for the show I believe. If not,I have a dozen or so of the RCA's and I will send a quad to Wayne.
 I didn't know whether to send some RCA blackplate Square getter wire tubes with the amps.They do have that lovely warm rich tone that I also crave but for some folks they might be a little to much warmth. I love what they do for vocals, and the bottom end while not the punchiest or having the tautness that some feel is a must,you have to just love the tone of this tube. In hindsight I probably should have sent the amps out with those tubes but every system/room and everybody's tastes are a little different.In my system I like a pair of the Brimar 13D5/12au7 for the sweet sparkle on the top along with a pair of RCA 12au7's for their tone. A lovely combination.  That is the tube compliment I had in the amps before I sent them off to Bound For Sound for Martin's follow up review.Knowing he likes SS I didn't dare keep in the RCA 12au7's :rofl:
  Its a shame you didn't have a chance to hear them produce bass below your crossover point of 275 cycles. They do it well . Could you use the M156 amps on the bottom and your OTL amp on top or are you using some SS amp to do your bottom end? or subs?

I can do easy finance payments :lol:

Later and Thank you,
 Bill
Bill O'Connell,
847-255-1150

mgalusha

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 06:07:55 PM »
You're welcome Bill, writing kind words is easy when the performance is excellent. :-)

I'm fully planning on letting Wayne use the RCA's for RMAF. Of course we'll want to try both (and any others that may be on hand) and get the best match for room and speakers.

I normally use a 400WPC SS amp on the bottom (a very lightly modified Rotel 1080) but it wouldn't be hard to put the M156's on the bottom and the OTL on top. That might be very tasty indeed. I'll have to give that a try and post a follow up.

Mike

mac5u

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 07:00:10 AM »
I know this is an old thread but thought I would give an update on the Eastern Electric ML156 mono amps and the EL156 tube as I have been thinking about trying to audition a pair of the amps.

Just before Christmas, I contacted Bill at Morningstar Audio about the EL156 mono amps and he replied that Alex Yeung, the amp's designer, wrote to say the Chinese EL156 made tubes are no longer being used as-of about three weeks ago as he is having a hard time finding them.  Production may have stopped. 

Bill went on to say that "...the Russians are making the KT120 tubes and I believe folks can use that tube in the amps. The factory just received their order of KT120's to check to see if we can use or not and we might be coming out with KT120 mono's or stereo amp in the future."

Offline Bill O'Connell

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 07:54:58 AM »

I just received this from Alex yesterday in regards to the EL156 tubes.
Hi Bill,

One good news, I have received samples of the new production EL156 tubes. They
quality looks very high and definitely an upgrade/improvement. Engineer is testing
and breaking them in. After that we will test them on M156 machines and see how it
goes.

So the factory is now making a new version of the EL156 tube.
 Engineers are testing and just a heads up that the EE EL156 mono's are in MK3 status so improvements have been made and also pricing will be reduced.

Regards,
 Bill
Bill O'Connell,
847-255-1150

Offline Bill O'Connell

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 07:56:38 AM »
 :rofl: Sorry, I guess I haven't learned how to use the quote button as you can see from the last 2 posts. :duh
Bill O'Connell,
847-255-1150

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2012, 09:21:33 PM »
Wow Rich, you really should be writing for a magazine. Instead of the too often used platitudes we get gossamer wings and noses in Gardenias. I can feel, see , taste and sense what you are hearing here.

Damn, I want to hear these amps now. Platitudes to your reviewing and writing skills.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012, 12:08:38 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Bob!