Author Topic: a new toy in town  (Read 18821 times)

shep

a new toy in town
« on: January 27, 2007, 01:01:08 AM »
Just found this over on AC
http://www.little-tube.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51&PN=1
looks mighty interesting.

lonewolfny42

Re: a new toy in town
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 01:04:10 AM »
Quote from: "shep"
Just found this over on AC
http://www.little-tube.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51&PN=1
looks mighty interesting.
Gonna buy it ?
If you get one .....you can review it for everyone.... 8)

shep

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 04:27:42 AM »
yes I will. And you will all be the first to know. It will be the Shep2! (do love a moment of instant glory) M. Mardis and I are working on this. There's some hard info. missing that he is assembling. We're looking at a complete modded version for me and trying to keep it around 500$ all set to go. My little Trends T-10 just doesn't have enough power for my TL's and I would like the feature of the remote.

shep

new toy in the offing
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 03:28:21 PM »
Where is everyone? i feel kind of alone here :shock: Nothing like talking to myself in the ether...so hello me. I'm taking the plunge. Talked it into the ground with M.M. whose ordering me this. He's confident he can turn it into a super duper integrated. Don't know the money yet or the waiting time. Based on past experience I will get off lightly and probably looking at 4-5 weeks before it gets here. Shipping is going to eat a good part of the costs: China-Hawaii-France. I have a probable buyer for my Trends so that's a relief. We're talking good caps where needed, revised wiring, maybe some resistor changes, shielding, better volumn control chip, probably tube changes and divers unknowns. Going to be some serious power for a change, and a remote! talk about luxury! will keep an update if anyone's interested...

lonewolfny42

a new toy in town
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 09:59:09 PM »
will keep an update if anyone's interested...
Yes shep...post your updates on the Little Dot.....thanks. :D

shep

a new toy in town
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 01:06:38 AM »
An update on this project: The amp is turning into a serious puzzle. The tube section is totally weird. a quote from M. Mardis:
" Hi Shep,

> > So you gave up on the idea of replacing the opamp with tube?

No, that's what I'd like to do.  But the way the tube is used in the amp it has no votage gain. In fact it attenuates some.  It is used to supply more drive current, then the opamp steps signal voltage up and passes it on to the amp chip.  It would be nice to get rid of the op amp and use just a tube, but that may mean another tube and/or reworking the power supply.  Just time and money - that's all.  I have some tubes and circuits to try, will let you know.  I hate to have to rebuild the tube power supply, but might have to."
If it comes to it, the tubes will have to go. I'm getting impatient!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
a new toy in town
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 06:40:42 AM »
"Just time and money - that's all.  I have some tubes and circuits to try, will let you know."

Now you can think of yourself as a true patron of the audio arts. You have commissioned a talented young genious to build you a one of a kind masterpiece. Hopefully you're not paying by the hour :wink:

I know you will make me eat my words... You will wish you had a patent on the new circuit.

shep

a new toy in town
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 08:18:50 AM »
Looked at that way :shock:  I never thought...hmmm. Well the Trends project got off to a good start :D Hey I've been taking out for years, so this was my chance to put back in the pot. No,I'm not paying by the hour!  I just chanced by when  M. was winding down his business, gave him a nudge, a new project and off you go...It's fun to be part of a creative project, even if my part consists of pestering for updates and the occasional reminder of things he knows already far better than I do. I keep him from hanging out surfing! don't know if he should thank me or not :wink: Patron of the Dark Arts of Audio...hey I like that!

shep

a new toy in town
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 05:42:11 AM »
I just recieved word from M. Mardis that the little dot people have thrown in the towel on this model and are going to come out with something else!
Not only do I get to be a "patron of the Arts" but one of defunct audio gear :shock:  How's that for irony? Ishould have stuck with the Trends or waited for something else. Live and learn. I had a rather heated argument with the site owner of Little Dot about his quality control issue a while back. His answer was basically "what problems?" He put the onus on me for buying "grey". Total bullshit since the amp was bought legit, off-the-counter in HK. He insisted on knowing who bought it, where and when. I refused this info to protect Michel from eventual fallout. Anyway it was just a ploy to defuse a bad situation for him and not answer the issue at hand. So I get some sort of unwelcome vindication :evil: Eventually my amp will be completed and no doubt a one-of-a-kind. That sucks really because it looked like such a good deal for Tripath lovers and another feather in M's cap. I will review it for you but that's as far as it's going to go. While I have your attention, anyone know where I can source a new laser/sled/mech. for my Marantz cdp 67?

mgalusha

a new toy in town
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 06:42:05 AM »
While I have your attention, anyone know where I can source a new laser/sled/mech. for my Marantz cdp 67?

Shep,

I have a Marantz CDP 63SE that I believe has the same drive mechanism as the 67. I had replaced the clock in this with an LC Audio clock and one of their output stages. The machine works but the output stage wasn't so good in this application. If you want it for a transport or parts I'd be willing to part with it. 'Course shipping to France would probably be killer.

Mike

shep

a new toy in town
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 10:53:13 AM »
Thanks for the offer Mike. I'm kind of hoping I don't have to go that route! like just the mechanism (shipping costs) or find one nearer home.

lonewolfny42

a new toy in town
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 10:14:53 PM »
shep.......Here's a good read for you....... :wink:

shep

a new toy in town
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 12:18:38 AM »
Been there...done that  :D  who do you think was standing in line in front of the modem at midnight! They did a good job but a lot of feathers are going to be ruffled :shock: I'm more than surprised that the Little Dot (I'm going to paint out that ridiculous name :evil:) made it so far. They must have gotten a good one. I'm flabergasted that the Trends won. Why?
because they were using the stock version (hurt) (unless someone cheated and sent them the Mardis Special) What really really puzzles me is that they ran the Trends wide open. Why it didn't clip  them into a nose bleed is totally beyond me. I simply do not understand. The Cary was also a big surprise as a winner. I found it strange that Vinny didn't submit his amps. Does anyone know why? (No my amp is still being diddled in Hawaii)

shep

a new toy in town
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 12:10:01 PM »
I don't get it but the Little Dot folks in China have now come out with the T-300. It is vitually identical to the T-100, except in size. It has more power but uses the same tube front end and pratically the same parts. Very strange...My amp should be ready this week. Just in time to break in before getting Grover's IC's.

RAW

Re: a new toy in town
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 10:14:31 AM »
Well I was lucky and purchased the Little Dot from Danny after the review.
This little amp is just a steal to say the least.Drives all of our products with no issue at all.Some older models as low as 80db sensitivity.This Amp is a bargine.

And I am taking Danny's advice of a few changes to add in a pair of platinums in the pre stage.

For $399.99   :o

Now the higher power one I may just go listen to first as the dealer for NorthAmerica is 4 minutes from my door.

Will keep you informed of what I find.I do know the new amp is not stocked yet.