Author Topic: USB vs USB/SPDIF Converter  (Read 5444 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
USB vs USB/SPDIF Converter
« on: February 04, 2016, 07:17:15 AM »
   Your thoughts and experience on the subject. My personal experience says converter over USB.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: USB vs USB/SPDIF Converter
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 03:58:00 PM »
I think it's dac, source, usb cable, spdif cable, software, network, storage medium, upsampling, format-conversion, usb reclocker and usb converter-specific!!

Seriously, too many variables to be able to generalize. I only have experience with one dac so whatever I say will cover only the smallest of possibilities.

I can say my toslink doesn't sound quite as good as my coax, but it's pretty easy to switch between the two.

Coax vs. USB requires me to reboot the Pi which takes about 30 seconds. For now I don't hear usb sounding any worse, and probably better.

The new breed of USB reclockers (Intona, Remedy, Regen etc.) are sposed to take USB to another level although I haven't heard any of them yet.

-Mike

Offline rpf

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 07:15:38 PM »
In my case an AR-T Legato was/is a significant improvement over the USB input in both my EE Minimax and DAC Plus dacs.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:19:43 PM »
I tried the USB Regen Amber in my setup and it was not an improvement in my system.

I have tried many S/PDIF input DAC's over the years.  Everything from the first Theta 16 bit DAC to the Adcom 20 bit DAC to the Audio Alchemy DDE v3.  The best of the group was the DDE v3 with the I2S Bus input.  In all cases the S/PDIF input were good, but the new USB input DAC's sound better to me.  The Thesycon USB drivers for the XMOS series chips using asynchronous clocking are an improvement in my listening.

Try listening to the new minimum phase filter DAC's using async USB inputs.  Very musical sounding DAC's.     

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 06:51:54 PM »
I don't know about the converters but with the BDP i can run usb out the dac or BNC or XLR. I have a 21 ft Wireworld USB cable. I will give it a whirl into the BDA2. I have done it before and i recall the usb to be rather softer sounding. The BNC and XLR are both transformer coupled but the usb is not.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rpf

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 08:00:25 AM »
I don't know about the converters but with the BDP i can run usb out the dac or BNC or XLR. I have a 21 ft Wireworld USB cable. I will give it a whirl into the BDA2. I have done it before and i recall the usb to be rather softer sounding. The BNC and XLR are both transformer coupled but the usb is not.

21 feet is too long for a USB cable.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+