Author Topic: Teflon latest greenie boogieman  (Read 7086 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Teflon latest greenie boogieman
« on: June 25, 2018, 12:53:55 PM »
http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2018/06/22/nonstick-chemicals-can-really-stick-around-in-your-body

They'll be outlawing teflon in consumer products soon. Bury your high end wires and caps!!

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Teflon latest greenie boogieman
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 01:44:29 PM »
It's been tied to health issues for several years now.  I've gotten rid of all my inexpensive coated pans, but can't let go of a couple of All Clads that have a thick coating.  Also, my wife has told me not to touch her old Bundt pan (the one with the black, flaking teflon should go into a toxic waste dump).  As we learn more, we find that many persistent chemicals are causing unexpected interactions and consequences. 
I try to keep it out of our of food, and try not to eat my interconnects. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:07:51 PM by S Clark »
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 01:55:13 PM »
You are born.  You will die.

Duh.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 02:56:38 PM »
100% for banning it in cookware. Your shitty cookware is my water contamination.

People that don't have health problems figure everything is fine, but then they have screwed up kids all the time.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 05:13:12 PM »
You are born.  You will die.

Duh.
Very true.  But just because I was born stupid doesn't mean I have to stay that way. 
After all, I did wear a mask when sanding the 1960's paint of an old tractor yesterday. Well, most of the time. Well, some of the time.   What the hell, I've chomped on so many split shot and eaten so many 7 1/2  bird shot, what a little more lead.  I've got lots of IQ points to give up, right? 

Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 06:32:27 PM »
I think All-Clad nonstick surface is not teflon. We have a few of those too and I would never have bought them if they were teflon. But maybe they fooled me with their marketing.  As the All clads died we switched to those "copper" pans as seen on TV, it is ceramic coating, works awesome and very cheap.

From globalspec:
"Ceramic/carbide—The nonstick coating contains aluminum oxide, titanium oxide, silicon carbide, titanium carbide, chromium carbide, molybdenum carbide, titanium carbonitride, zirconium nitride, titanium nitride, chromium nitride, boron nitride, fluorinated silicon dioxide, titanium dioxide, tantalum oxide, and tantalum nitride. Ceramic nonstick or release coatings have become more prevalent and popular because they are more abrasion resistant and can withstand higher temperatures compared to polymer-based silicone and fluoropolymer release coatings. On the other hand, ceramics tend to be more brittle and less resistant to spalling or thermal shock compared to silicone and fluoropolymer nonstick coatings."

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 06:42:12 PM »
Everything'll kill ya if ya ingest enough of it.

We had a pet bird at home for many, many years. Our extra-ordinary veterinarian always told us in no uncertain terms to NEVER use teflon cookware at home as the fumes would kill him. She had studies to back it up, so we've not had teflon/PTFE based cookware since.
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline Folsom

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 09:29:11 AM »
I think that says a lot, Tom.

Check out the lines at the top of this  :shock: . Ya, there's good reason behind organic..

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 10:39:41 AM »
Best advice is to use teflon coated cookware below 400° F. I use a Fluke Model 62 MAX IR Thermometer
to control and fine tune the temperature setting on my "never to be sufficiently damned' electric stove burners. The controlling knobs for the burners are problematic when it comes to setting to right temperature for frying, pancakes in particular have been quite aggravating to cook properly. 375°F is apparently the recommended temperature and when a good IR thermometer is used to determine the temperature of the pan a lot of problems go away.
 At 63 and user of teflon cookware since its inception, I am probably not going to get out of this alive.
That being said, my preferred cookware surface for grilling and frying is cast iron, the natural non-stick surface.
Scotty

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:52:05 AM by _Scotty_ »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 04:32:16 PM »
Yeah pancakes need pan with high heat capacity to get that initial browning quickly. The thin aluminum "copper" TV pans don't have any mass.

We used a huge double burner All-Clad non stick griddle for pancakes until it turned brown and stopped not-sticking.

So now we just make blueberry muffins instead of pancakes.  :D

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 11:11:01 AM »
Best advice is to use teflon coated cookware below 400° F. I use a Fluke Model 62 MAX IR Thermometer
to control and fine tune the temperature setting on my "never to be sufficiently damned' electric stove burners. The controlling knobs for the burners are problematic when it comes to setting to right temperature for frying, pancakes in particular have been quite aggravating to cook properly. 375°F is apparently the recommended temperature and when a good IR thermometer is used to determine the temperature of the pan a lot of problems go away.
 At 63 and user of teflon cookware since its inception, I am probably not going to get out of this alive.
That being said, my preferred cookware surface for grilling and frying is cast iron, the natural non-stick surface.
Scotty

Cast iron pan period. If ya know how to use one properly. You can bet Scotty does.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 01:23:31 PM »
Scotty

Cast iron pan period. If ya know how to use one properly. You can bet Scotty does.

charles

Yikes, the cleanup and they’re so darn heavy...but yes, apparently quite safe.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 04:26:53 PM »
 I neglected to mention this in my previous post. When using teflon pans, be sure to use animal fat to cook with. Why, you may ask, well when you expose vegetable based fats or oils to heat at a high enough temperature they tend to crosslink producing polymer chains.
 Animal based fats don't seem to do this and ruin the teflon non-stick capability. This can produce a a sticky by-product which is the opposite of a nonstick surface that is almost impossible to remove from teflon. 
Which why you will always see a telfon pan with butter in it used to make an omelet in a restaurant.
 A seldom discussed fact is that linseed oil used for treating wood is also flax seed oil which is in a slightly purer form is consumed as dietary supplement. When it is applied to a surface and left to dry and oxidize it crosslinks and produces a protective surface on the wood. Flax seed oil oxidizes rather easily and because of this it is the best thing to use to produce a seasoned surface on cast iron.
Scotty

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 08:54:27 AM »
Scotty

charles

Nick if you keep the p[an seasoned properly, cleanup is a piece of cake. I just run hot tap water into the pan for a minute or so to heat it up and then wipe out any residue with a clean paper towel. Then fill the pan with water and put it on the stove to boil get a good rolling boil. I then empty the water and put it back over a high flame to dry out and remaining moisture and finish off by giving it a light coating of vegetable oil while it is still hot and set it aside to cool before putting it away. It might sound complicated, but in reality it doesn't take me much more time that it took me to type these instructions. And I am usually cleaning other things at the same time so I can also interleave other tasks into some of the wait times.

Unfortunately I can't do anything about the weight.

I will have to pick up some flaxseed oil and give that a try. Thanks for the tip Scotty.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 09:12:56 AM »
Scotty

charles

Nick if you keep the p[an seasoned properly, cleanup is a piece of cake. I just run hot tap water into the pan for a minute or so to heat it up and then wipe out any residue with a clean paper towel. Then fill the pan with water and put it on the stove to boil get a good rolling boil. I then empty the water and put it back over a high flame to dry out and remaining moisture and finish off by giving it a light coating of vegetable oil while it is still hot and set it aside to cool before putting it away. It might sound complicated, but in reality it doesn't take me much more time that it took me to type these instructions. And I am usually cleaning other things at the same time so I can also interleave other tasks into some of the wait times.

Unfortunately I can't do anything about the weight.

I will have to pick up some flaxseed oil and give that a try. Thanks for the tip Scotty.

Tom,
The weight is the biggest issue, especially for my wife who is frail. I know a few cooks who insist on cast iron. We use the ceramic coated pans that Rich mentioned and they work great for us. We also got rid of our stoneware and use Corelle dishes. They’re nice looking and indestructible.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS