Author Topic: G2G August 2nd at Carl's  (Read 22157 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
G2G August 2nd at Carl's
« on: July 19, 2009, 07:11:57 PM »
I'm going to do some cable swapping, specifically IC's and I thought others might be interested in hearing what the differences are.
I'll be using:
Audience Au24
JPS Labs
Reality Special IC's
Audio Tekne

Also, I want to show what the Axis USB cable does compared to a regular one.

Lastly, I will do some power cord swaps, specifically Black Sand Audio, Kaplan Kords, and JPS Labs.  I can swap cords easily on the preamp but also the DAC and amp without too much trouble.

If someone wants to bring a power conditioner, I can swap that in and out to hear the differences also.

I do not have any 20amp IEC type cords... If it's possible to get one or 2 this week, I'd be happy to show them off.

PM for address/phone info if you need it.. I'd like to know how many will be here so reply here if you can make it.  I think I'll just order pizza this time unless everyone wants to bring stuff again.  I'm open to anything.  The G2G starts at 3:00 PM.

Thanks,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: G2G August 2nd at Carl's
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 07:27:42 PM »
I'm IN  :)!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 07:47:42 PM »
Cool!  It's always a pleasure, Steve. :)

BTW.. I forgot to mention I'll have Audience PowerChords also...
and I have another USB cable.. it's optical and requires power.. Basically 'Hantra' left me a big bag of goodies to play with.. Hope he and Bobby can make it too.

-C

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 06:24:15 AM »
I can make it.   Looking forward to it, and thanks for the invite.

I am distinctly anti-wire right now, so this will pull me back to the dark side.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 06:44:57 AM »
I'm in I think.... should be able to stop by for a while.

My place is slowwwwwwly getting to the point of hosting an event as well.  Soffit bass traps are up and first coat of chocolate paint went on yesterday.  It should all be finished by this Friday.... hopefully including the grills to go over the front of the soffits...

more and more gear arriving, too.... should have everything I'm getting in the next few weeks hopefully...  still need a few furniture pieces though...

panels.... well.... I'll get there eventually....

garage is almost done... I can't believe it's taken nearly 5 months to be able to say that...

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 09:09:23 AM »
I'm pretty sure I can make it.   I can bring the Jaco again.  I've also got 3 20a PCs-- the Mongoose that came with the Jaco, a BS Silver Ref, and a VH Audio DIY Flavor 4.   I can also bring my latest Grover "SC." ICs for the IC comparison. 

Looking forward to it!

Bigfish8

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 04:17:01 PM »
Carl:

Thanks for planning another G2G.  I am pretty sure I can make it and I look forward to taking a look at your panel construction.  I have no new gear but do look forward to hearing the Timepieces someday in that wonderful man cave!

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 07:42:36 AM »
Have room for a NYer ? Pizza ? You have pizza in NC ? No Ribs, fried Chicken cornbread and slaw. I'm shocked.
    :rofl:
  May be in that area in Aug. on the way to see my son in Flor.

charles   
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline stereofool

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 08:01:11 AM »
  I think I'll just order pizza this time unless everyone wants to bring stuff again.  I'm open to anything. 
Thanks,
Carl

I'll bring cookies, again, if anyone is interested in eating any  :twisted:!!!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 09:41:56 AM »
I have gotten Grover's latest IC's and SC's recently and have started the burn-in process on the IC's.  I haven't had a chance to get upside down and fiddle with the speaker cable connections.
My goal when I have a free minute is to jot down an agenda of each cable type and in which order.
I was thinking it'd be:
1- IC's
2- USB Cables
3- Power cords on preamp only
-Everything else

I'd like to do the IC's in a semi-blind method, in that there will be a designated cable-changer that knows which is which but that's all.  If everyone could jot down notes, that'd be super awesome, just depend on how geeky y'all want to go.  Then after a series of comparisons, we could compare notes, literally.  However, I don't know if that will work practically.

I say 'semi-blind' because if you want to know, that's fine... not everyone has to be blind to which is which.. but I'd like it if I was one of the blind.  If anyone wants to be the cable swapper, let me know...

Also, if anyone has other suggestions, post here..

I think it'll be nice if it's a little organized.. even if a little boring at times.  But this is a comparison event I've been looking forward to being able to do for years.

-C

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 07:33:43 PM »
Carl...
But this is a comparison event I've been looking forward to being able to do for years.

And with your excellent audio room....should make the comparison easy to hear differences.

I still can't get over that Gabriel track...how the music went up the isle and in back of me.

Tried it at the last Rave at Hogg's in CT...no luck...and no room treatments.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 07:39:33 PM »
Thanks, Chris.. It really is a dream realized.  That Gabriel track is a nice test.  It's in the queue for Sunday. :)

Also, thanks for the loan of you Kaplan Kords.. they'll be compared as well... After that, let me know where to send them...

-C
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 07:51:47 PM by Carlman »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 08:59:07 AM »
Carl, I'm in but probably not until closer to 5pm.    See you then!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 07:43:40 AM »
Thanks, Chris.. It really is a dream realized.  That Gabriel track is a nice test.  It's in the queue for Sunday. :)

Also, thanks for the loan of you Kaplan Kords.. they'll be compared as well... After that, let me know where to send them...

-C

The "Room". The most elusive part of our hobby. Your a lucky man there Carlman. Nice job. ENJOY!!!!!!!!

charles

PS. Sorry but we are flying to Flor, so maybe next time. Wish I could join the fun.
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 09:39:07 AM »
Tomorrow's the big day!  :yay2: