Author Topic: Break down of pin connectors  (Read 5992 times)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Break down of pin connectors
« on: January 26, 2023, 05:56:15 PM »
I put this under Amplification, but it's a broader issue.  I had reported a year or two back that a noise issue with a Dodd preamp was actually related to dirty pin connectors inside the unit. 
Now I can add to that the failure of a pin connection in a Moscode amp.  My Moscode 401HR has been my primary amp to drive my LS9 speakers for about a decade.  To my dismay it stopped sending a signal to either channel even though the center tubes lit. 
Credit to George Kaye (of whom I've been critical for how slow he works).  He ran me through a trouble shoot over the phone leading to a suspect and a solution.  The Moscode 401HR has a diode on a heat sink on the main board.  The 3 pins of the diode went straight to a pin connector... and as one leg began to increase resistance, it got hot, and then failed.  It was a PITA, but it's now directly soldered. 
The lesson is if anything with heat goes directly into a pin connector, it is subject to failure. 
Before, I had suggested that pin connectors should be cleaned annually.  Now pay special attention to anything that might conduct heat.   
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Break down of pin connectors
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 10:59:04 PM »
It may be a result of the pin to connector stress. Tube sockets operate all the time, but the BEST case scenario is that they free float in just the right way so that you get a high contact amount with good compression. When they don't have that it's a matter of time.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 06:34:11 AM »
But tube sockets are designed for heat... sockets in ceramic or that old Bakelite stuff.  Pin connectors are just plain plastic (I think).  Seems like running a diode that will dissipate heat into one is asking for trouble. 
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 11:12:05 AM »
  Good to know thanks

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 02:46:35 PM »
I do find it interesting that my last two major equipment failures were due to faulty connections in pin connectors...  And the things are ubiquitous in stereo gear.  Just like cleaning and tightening other connections, I'd certainly pull the covers off amps, preamps, phono stages, etc at least occasionally and use a little Caig (or equivalent) on them. 

Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Folsom

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 03:56:53 PM »
I'm saying some of the heat might be from a poor connection. It's like how a small wire will be hotter than a bigger one under the same load.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 04:41:27 PM »
I get what you're saying.  Except George seemed to know exactly where to go on this.  I'd put money that it's a bad idea to put a heat generating diode into a pin connector that isn't designed for heat.   My guess is that it was a poor design choice by George that was fixed in later models.  But to his credit, I was able to avoid the whole over the top box building to keep the apes at Fed Ex/UPS from destroying what ever is inside.  I can't tell you how I was dreading boxing and shipping that amp. 
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline ejk

• Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 05:04:08 AM »
I do find it interesting that my last two major equipment failures were due to faulty connections in pin connectors...  And the things are ubiquitous in stereo gear.  Just like cleaning and tightening other connections, I'd certainly pull the covers off amps, preamps, phono stages, etc at least occasionally and use a little Caig (or equivalent) on them. 

Plastic connectors like that are used in auto engine compartments for years and I would think they go through much worse conditions than in an amp. I wouldn't think the auto industry uses anything better.

Glad you fixed your problem :thumb:

Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 08:53:00 AM »

Plastic connectors like that are used in auto engine compartments for years and ...

Yes, but I've never seen one plugged into a component with a heat sink.  You don't see a pin connector on a block or exhaust.   
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub