Author Topic: DIY Break-In Device  (Read 8731 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: DIY Break-In Device
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2019, 10:46:12 PM »
A capacitor burn-in device would have saved me a lot of earache after I had caps in my cd player upgraded to Mundorfs .

I think the caps needed some 300-400 hours to sound good.

The new caps sounded very detailed but polite at first listen. After about 50 hours the sound was very shrill and thin. After a few hundred hours, they seemed to settled down, only to sound harsh again.

I was warned about the long burn-in, but I went back to the dealer anyway to complain about the bad sound! These things had a very Jekyll and Hyde personality while burning in.
yes, sir.  I’ve had the same experience.  Dr. J (some of you know who he is) told me that one of his caps would sound great when first installed.  After that it would (back up and you will hate them for about 200 - 300 hours) and he was absolutely correct.  They did and I did.  When they finally broke in my preamp sounded amazing.  It was like a new component.  I was wrong.  There were two very special fabulous components in my system: 2 amazing .22 ufd coupling capacitors that transformed my system.  Like a fool I sold that pre and have kicked myself for years for being stoopud.

Arrggghhhhh...
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2019, 07:25:30 AM »
So is breaking in a capacitor simply an act of loading and unloading charges?  Does frequency matter?  Does simply putting a cap in parallel to a 60 Hz AC line break it in?  What are the changes?  Does the dielectric change physically or chemically?
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2019, 11:27:14 AM »
A capacitor burn-in device would have saved me a lot of earache after I had caps in my cd player upgraded to Mundorfs .

I think the caps needed some 300-400 hours to sound good.

The new caps sounded very detailed but polite at first listen. After about 50 hours the sound was very shrill and thin. After a few hundred hours, they seemed to settled down, only to sound harsh again.

I was warned about the long burn-in, but I went back to the dealer anyway to complain about the bad sound! These things had a very Jekyll and Hyde personality while burning in.
yes, sir.  I’ve had the same experience.  Dr. J (some of you know who he is) told me that one of his caps would sound great when first installed.  After that it would (back up and you will hate them for about 200 - 300 hours) and he was absolutely correct.  They did and I did.  When they finally broke in my preamp sounded amazing.  It was like a new component.  I was wrong.  There were two very special fabulous components in my system: 2 amazing .22 ufd coupling capacitors that transformed my system.  Like a fool I sold that pre and have kicked myself for years for being stoopud.

Arrggghhhhh...

Argh is right you stubborn so and so  :duh :rofl: :rofl: Trying to tell you Engineering types about break-in. Duelunds and VH are the longest to break-in.
   W  have been breaking in caps on a Hagerman Frybaby. 500 hours minimum.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.