Author Topic: Loreena McKennitt concert Asheville, North Carolina April 26  (Read 3926 times)

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
Loreena McKennitt concert Asheville, North Carolina April 26
« on: April 25, 2007, 08:49:08 AM »
:D

Loreena McKennitt
Thomas Wolfe Auditorium
Asheville, North Carolina
Thursday, April 26, 8:00 PM

I am going.
Should be excellent.
I will try to report.

Loreena's following stop is Ryman Auditorium,
Nashville, Tennessee on Friday night!

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 12:57:41 PM »
:D
Loreena McKennitt, Asheville NC, April 26, 2007

I took afternoon off from work and drove from Knoxville TN on I-40 (through the mountains along Pigeon River gorge) to Asheville NC , arriving around 4:45 PM.  
Found parking near the Asheville Civic Center/Thomas Wolfe Auditorium and with local help found new location of nearby "Flying Frog Cafe." This fine food restaurant opened at 5:30 and is on the below street lower level under Flying Frog Bar and Deli. They were apparently voted "Best of 2006" by regional folks, attested to by a plaque.  I enjoyed "dahl" (India-Indian soup), "Seafood Madeleine" (colossal shrimp, sea scallops, and fresh fish in a ginger-coconut curry sauce, served with basmati rice and raita (yogurt), fresh bread with olive oil and rosemary (and added some black pepper), with two French press pots of "Chai Masala" (spiced Indian tea).

Walked a block or so back to Thomas Wolfe Auditorium, where a man was soulfully playing saxophone outside.  
Once inside I found my seat (center section on floor, maybe one third way back, on left aisle, so angle to left/right speaker banks and view of entire stage were reasonably well balanced.
Loreena McKennitt shared stories of her travels and of pursuing her studies of the Celts and their history and cultural and musical legacies and how these influenced her creative process in composing or arranging her music.  These were appropriately interwoven with the musical program, which was a stunning, "magical" performance.

I can still close my eyes and hear her voice floating amidst the music and the imagined Celtic mists…

If you are a fan of Loreena McKennitt, I highly recommend to see her live.

SET 1
She Moved Through The Fair
The Gates of Istanbul
The Mummers' Dance
Bonny Portmore
Marco Polo
The Highwayman
Dante's Prayer
The Bonny Swans
Caravanserai

INTERMISSION

SET 2
Raglan Road
The Mystic's Dream
Santiago
The Lady of Shalott
Beneath A Phrygian Sky
The Old Ways
Never-ending Road(Amhran Duit)
STANDING OVATION
ENCORE #1 - Huron 'Beltane' Fire Dance
STANDING OVATION
ENCORE #2 - Penelope's Song
STANDING OVATION
END CONCERT

Accompanying musicians included (from left stage to right stage as viewed from floor, if I remember correctly) :
Brian Hughes - Electric and Acoustic Guitars, Oud, Celtic Bouzouki
Ben Grossman – Hurdy Gurdy and Percussion
Tal Bergman – Drums and Percussion
Rick Lazar – Percussion
Tim Landers – Acoustic and Electric Bass
Donald Quan – Viola, Keyboards, Tabla,  Accordion
Sokratis Sinopoulos – Lyra, Greek Lute
Caroline Lavelle – Cello
Hugh Marsh – Violin/Fiddle

My return drive was through rain showers before the highest mountains and the Pigeon River gorge, with significantly harder rain in the western foothills on the Tennessee side and beyond to Knoxville, arriving home a bit before 1 A.M.

WEEZ

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 02:36:43 PM »
rl,

We're almost neighbors!

I used to make that drive on I40 thru the mountains quite often. It really forces one to pay attention...especially in the rain..at night.

Sounds like it was a great concert. And a great dinner!

WEEZ

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 05:38:19 AM »
I agree... sounds like an overall wonderful evening.. thanks for the review!
I really enjoy listening to music.