Author Topic: Your favorite show?  (Read 12540 times)

gonefishin

Your favorite show?
« on: January 18, 2007, 07:27:03 PM »
What a great idea for a forum!

So what's your favorite show?

Mine would probably be the Clayton Hamilton Jazz Orchestra at the Chicago Auditorium.  The sound was a major part of why I liked it so much...barly amplified at all.

so what's yours?

dan

eric the red

Your favorite show?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 10:49:16 PM »
gonefishin is here :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Hantra

Your favorite show?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 04:34:59 AM »
That's a very challenging question to answer.  I don't know that I could pick one favorite, but I have my "best shows I've ever been to".

Smashing Pumpkins in a small auditorium with 2200 people.  That was just absolutely incredible.  I'd do it again every night if I could.

3/1/03 Phish - Greensboro Coliseum.  I don't even know what I can possibly say about this except GO DOWNLOAD IT from their site.  

Tony Rice w/ Vassar Clements - These two had a synergy on stage that was just electric.

Chip Taylor / Carrie Rodriguez - Evening Muse, Charlotte.  If you ever get the chance to see an acoustic show at this place, GO.  It sounds absolutely incredible.  The place only holds 100-150 and talk about chemistry on stage, these two have it in spades.

Megadeth in a gymnasium in Charlotte.  Megadeth put on one hell of a show, and the atmosphere of a small gymnasium full of angry youth was electric.

Pixies 2004 at the Fox in ATL.  I think I'd like ANY show at this venue, but the Pixies really lit it up even though they had been apart for a decade or more.

Funny as it may seem, a Greensboro Symphony show in 11/01.  It was a September 11th fundraiser and the emotion was so intense at that one.  They did Adagio for Strings, and that's the point when I said "if I can't get at least part of this emotion from my system, I don't WANT a system".

Steve Kimock Band - 11/13/2004 - Just go to digitalsoundboard.net and get this in FLAC.  It's like $12 for the entire thing so if you hate it, you're out less than a CD you bought that you hate.  ;-)

Wow.  It took me an hour to name my top eight shows.  LOL  I cannot pick a favorite.  But if I could ONLY go to one of those again, it would be the Smashing Pumpkins show.  So I guess I do have a favorite after all.  LOL

Offline Bwanagreg

Your favorite show?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 08:47:02 AM »
Ditto... Ditto ... Great forum idea.

I just watched the movie "High Fidelity" again over the weekend, so here is my all-time top 3 live shows.

3. Living Colour, Cabaret Metro, 1988. This was a band that was born to play live. My Gods they rocked.

2. King Crimson, University of Chicago, 1982. A mind blower. The band was new (Adrian Belew and Tony Levin had just joined Fripp and Bill Bruford), the material was revolutionary (bands like Tool openly acknowledge this as a major influence) , and the sound was perfect.

1. Frank Zappa, Auditorium Theater, 1988. Zappa's last touring band. I saw both shows, one was the first "official"  8) date with my wife. The first night Sting was in the audience and came onstage to sing "Murder By Numbers" to the tune of "Stolen Moments". An amazing band that self-destructed mid-tour. Listen to "The Best Band You Never Heard" and "Broadway The Hard Way" to get an idea.

Damn I'm old  :roll: .

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Your favorite show?
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 07:23:29 PM »
Top three in no particular order:

John Watson Blues Band featuring Big Time Sarah
B.L.U.E.S. N Halsted St, Chicago IL July 1989

Peter Gabriel
Philadelphia Spectrum, 1986

Carmen McCrae
The Blue Note, NYC 1991

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
Your favorite show?
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 08:54:34 AM »
Jim Morrison and the Doors--Miami
Beatles--Civic Arena--Pittsburgh
Floyd--Bobby Dodd Stadium--Atlanta
Steve Winwood--Atlanta-Chastain Amphitheater
Joe Bonamassa--Chastain -Atlanta
Clapton--Gwinett Arena--Atlanta
ELP-Atlanta Mun, Auditorium
Robin Trower--Variety Playhouse--Atlanta
Jethro Tull -Atlanta Mun. Auditorium--Atlanta

the list goes on and continues,,if you are in the Atlanta area,you owe it to yourself to see Mr. Bonamassa in Feb,, pm me for details if interested   :D

lonewolfny42

Your favorite show?
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 09:28:16 AM »
Your favorite show ?
Thats an easy one......

I was there till Monday morning.....ended with Jimi Hendrix.....that was some weekend !!!!! =D>

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
Your favorite show?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 10:21:19 AM »
hardcore  :D  :D  :D

Hantra

Your favorite show?
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 07:05:37 PM »
Wolf you should be barred from participating in a "best live show" thread based on the fact that you went to Woodstock, and probably have seen better live stuff than all of us put together.   :wink:

lonewolfny42

Your favorite show?
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 07:18:20 PM »
Quote from: "Hantra"
Wolf you should be barred from participating in a "best live show" thread based on the fact that you went to Woodstock, and probably have seen better live stuff than all of us put together.   :wink:

.... ..... :lol:

carusoracer

Your favorite show?
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 07:06:10 PM »
Average White Band The Front Row Cleveland,OH
Peter Tosh              The Front Row  Cleveland,OH
Santana                  Blossom Music Center,OH
B52's                      Vets Memorial Columbus,OH
Neil Young               Athens,OH
Miles Davis              Oxford,OH
Grateful Dead           Hampton,VA
Steve Miller Band      Buckeye Lake,OH
Bob James               The Front Row, Cleveland,OH
Oingo Boingo            
Echo and the Bunnyman

Marbles

Your favorite show?
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 08:16:36 PM »
I can't remember any  :?  :?  :?  #-o

canyoneagle

Your favorite show?
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 11:39:54 AM »
-Harry Chapin at the Paramount theater in Austin, 1975 - ish (I was 9)
-The Police, Synchronicity tour, the Meadowlands, Austin, 1983
- Tears for Fears, Songs from the Big Chair, Austin 1985

More recently,
- Calgary Folk Festival 2006 - three and a half days of music on six stages, at Prince's Island Park near downtown.  Very nice.
- Salif Keita at the Afrikadey festival, Calgary, 2006

chadh

Your favorite show?
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
A couple I will always remember...

I was about 18, and John McLaughlin was touring Australia as part of a trio (with Trilok Gurtu and Dominic Di Piazza.  If you've heard "Live at Festival Hall", it's the same period.  That recording had Kai Ekhart on bass rather than DiPiazza though).  I was too poor to pay full price for a ticket, so a friend and I went along hoping to get cheap tickets at the door.  They said no.  So we crept in through a side door to find the hall about half full (maybe 1500 people) - but witnessed one of the most amazing musical experiences I could ever imagine.  Left me grinning in amazement for weeks.

When I was about 22, Dire Straits played an outdoor show in Canberra, Australia on the "On Every Street" tour.  It rained.  A lot.  But the sound was so good, and it was music that I loved...I would have stayed out in the rain all night, if only they'd kept playing.

I heard McCoy Tyner at the Blue Note in New York in about 1996 or 97.  It was a double bill, that night - The McCoy Tyner Trio and John Scofield.  I love Scofield, but he was playing music from an album I think was named "Quiet", and I never really got into it.  But after the break, McCoy Tyner came out and I swear, as soon as he hit the first chord I started sweating.  There was instantly so much energy and life and intensity in the place, and it didn't ease up until McCoy Tyner had finished playing.  It was just breathtaking.

Kenny Garrett played at the Detroit Jazz Festival in about 1997.  The festival takes place in downtown Detroit, on about four or five stages, all really close together.  It's a pretty wide range of music, as is reflected by a really diverse crowd - definitely not your typical jazz crowd.  Kenny Garrett started playing and within about five minutes almost every single person had left every other stage and was crowded around the big one in the center.  I imagine about 70% of the people there had never even heard of Kenny Garrett, but every one of them was dancing and going crazy at the way he managed to squeeze these deep, spiritual solos out of  what seemed like the simplest but most compelling grooves you could imagine.  The last tune he played finished with him repeating a riff over and over again, until the crowd had picked it up.  The crowd kept singing it while he just exploded with the sort of solo that leaves you weak at the knees.  Eventually he finished.  The band walked off the stage.  But the crowd kept singing the riff anyway.

Chad

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Your favorite show?
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 05:00:04 PM »
one of my favorite concerts was Frank Zappa's "you are what you is" tour at a small venue north of Baltimore called painters mill. Steve Vai was taking turns playing lead Guitar with FZ and then Zappa Played the third movement from the theme of Sinister footwear while sitting on a stool and the whole house went wild, Terry Bozzio was on Drums and played a stellar set,Frank Zappa was totally insane on electric Guitar. god i miss him :(
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa